RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gang,

I've decided to tackle a front and rear brake pad replacement on my '03 HSE. To be honest, I've been around cars for some time but I've never done a brake pad replacement job before. I reviewed some of the earlier threads using the search function in this forum, but I think I really need a step by step (with pics if at all possible) so I have the confidence to tackle this job from start to finish.

FWIW, I also have the factory WSM for the '03. Not sure how helpful it will be.

Any links you can direct me to?

Thanks all,

ketel

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
linuxfreakus said:
How about the one in the FAQ?
Sorry, but did not see anything there related to brake pad replacement.

Anyone else?

ketel

·
Registered
266 Posts
Beware of bargains.

I changed my complete front brakes last summer using "normal", non-geniune parts. By this spring, they had warped badly enough that the rear brakes had to take over the duty of stopping me. By the time I could check them, all four had to go, and I had to have them done by the dealer at a cost of $1300. (No time for DIY this time.)

If I had done them myself this time, I would have gone with premium parts, and would be sure I cleaned and lubed the calipers and such. Look into the EBC set from roverparts.com or a similar kit, if you aren't into genuine parts. BTW, my dealer only charges $150/axle for labor, and discounts the parts to their own shop - the discount paid for half of the labor, compare to buying dealer parts at retail.

Here is the breakdown for last week's work:
labor, complete $337.50 (0.50, really. Really?)
front linings $154.36 (list $181.60)
rear linings $125.17 (list $147.26)
front disc, each $166.85 (list $196.30)
rear disc, each $120.24 (list $141.46)
sensor assy F/R $38.20/37.82 (list $44.94/44.50)

Parts: $929.73 ($164.09 off list)
Labor $337.50
Total $1267.23

The EBC parts would be $730; from the same mail order source, a genuine kit would be $870. Both of these would be "plus shipping". YMMV.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
305 Posts
ketel said:
linuxfreakus said:
How about the one in the FAQ?
Sorry, but did not see anything there related to brake pad replacement.

Anyone else?

ketel
Top of the FAQ section et Voila!!!

also...
SEARCH for "brake replacement" will show you (at last count) at least 3 detailed brake/rotors DIY tutorials.
Very helpful stuff w/ pictorials for SC or HSE. Even for people wanting to upgrade to Brembo from HSE. Great stuff that search function. ;)

Enjoy

FAQ RANGE ROVER L322
by marcpablo » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:04 pm

THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS, I WILL BE USING SEARCH AND POSTING THE FAQ FROM A LIST PREVIOUSLY SENT TO ME BY FORUM MEMBERS.

FFRRSC Brake job/rotor upgrade project...
viewtopic.php?t=32202#p249023

·
Registered
124 Posts
I tried the EBC pads/rotors from Atlantic British. While there was less dust - there was substantially LESS stopping power. I would definitely NOT go with the EBC pads!

You might want to try to get someone that has done this before to help you. Getting the old rotors off can be a real PIA.

Good luck!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Viper1993 said:
I tried the EBC pads/rotors from Atlantic British. While there was less dust - there was substantially LESS stopping power. I would definitely NOT go with the EBC pads!
Getting the old rotors off can be a real PIA.
I'm curious whether rotor replacement is a must-do. Granted, I haven't pulled off the wheels to check the status of the rotors, but I was certainly hoping this would be a fairly straightforward brake pad swap. I was hoping not to have to replace the rotors as well.

However, from the few posts in this thread it appeared people were commenting in such a way that implied that a rotor replacement was mandatory when pads were replaced....or am I just reading into this?

ketel

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just got a set of slotted rotors from R1 Concepts and a set of Posi-Quiet pads. I am going to write up a DIY and a review of this setup when it is done. For the love of god, do NOT get Hawk LTS pads - they are SOOOO loud and annoying. I've never heard pads squeak and squeal this much in my entire life, I can't wait to get em off tomorrow.

-Mike

·
Registered
266 Posts
On the older Range Rovers, you had to replace rotors. I found that my existing rotors were in good shape at the time of my first change. I should have left them, in hindsight.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Viper1993 said:

You might want to try to get someone that has done this before to help you. Getting the old rotors off can be a real PIA.

Good luck!
Interestingly, I agree with the EBC's. I know their Green Stuff pads come in a heavy duty version (for the p38 anyway) and these work well, but I know the versions for the Discovery2 are no where near as good as the Genuine Part.

If you ever look in MicroCat, the pads superceed part numbers many times over. I'd suggest that is down to evolution of the pads.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts