RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I am US based and I need a replacement engine! I can't swing AB's prices on a refurbished engine, but I want to keep Becca on the road. She's suffered a head gasket blowout at ~175,000 miles. Everything else on the vehicle is ship shape mechanically, but according to my mechanic the rest of the engine is looking bad enough that a repair here wouldn't be worth it because of the other issues. We've got piston wobble, an odd sound, block was well infected with coolant either at the point of blowout or leading up to, some low pressure leaks towards the bottom and a few other issues...

Anyone at least know of a reputable ebay seller that consistently has lower mileage engines?

I'll take anything you guys and gals can throw at me for advice. I love my Rover (in fact I love Rovers in general) and I want her to run well into her classic years.

·
Premium Member
1,325 Posts
I have an SAI 4.6 Bosch engine with 153k but was taken care of quite well.. No strange sounds when it was running, but it's now on a crate.

Shoot me an offer, not sure what engine base you have though. I can help with shipping unless you'd like to pick up. Engine was completely resealed and doesn't leak.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
We've got piston wobble, an odd sound, block was well infected with coolant either at the point of blowout or leading up to, some low pressure leaks towards the bottom and a few other issues...
Unless it was burning huge quantities of oil, don't worry about sloppy pistons, even when new they weren't exactly tight. Coolant in the block will be as a result of the head gasket and they often make odd noises but aren't serious. If it were mine, unless you can get a decent engine at the right price, I'd just replace both head gaskets and get another 100,000 out of it. While a Thor (Bosch) can be turned into a GEMS, there's a lot of bits that need to be swapped over and the CPS mount will need to be modified so it's going to be best to look for an engine of the same breed as yours.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
lkq is a nationwide us based recycler, they sell good used tested guaranteed engines. I have installed a few used rover and jag engines and trannies from their inventory, never had to report a setback or file a claim due to defective parts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts