RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all,

I am new here and this is my first post/thread.

My name is Nick and I live in Athens, Greece.

I drive daily a BMW F20, and so does my wife, we also have a BMW X5 as a family car, but I always wanted to own a Classic, in my eyes it is so "classic" that my aim is to find the right one and keep it for ever. I am in the market for such a truck for 6 months now and recently I have found a 1992 RRC Vogue SE 3.9 V8 in a dealer near me. See pics below.

I would appreciate your oppinion in this car, your thoughts and or possible advise on what to watch out before and after the first test drive.

Thank you in advance,

Pics follow:

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
104 Posts
Re: Need advise on a 1992 RRC Vogue SE 3.9 V8 purchase (photos)

well. on your Fotos you see the truck only from outside, and as most of the Bodyparts are made of aluminum, it looks like a beautiful truck, but you have to check for rust, frame, lower tailgate, upper tailgate, door-sills, remove the carpet, check the floor, check the floorpanel in the back, and and and.
Check all the electronic, CD-Changer, Air condition, seat memory...

But the biggest problems I've had back in 2004 with my Classic Range Rover in Corfu / Greece, was that I've been stopped by the Police three times in one month because I drove such a big car. Nobody can afford a truck like that in Greece (taxes) they said. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts

Don't forget to poke the rear crossmember (below the lower tailgate) with your finger (doesn't drain well and rots from the inside). Often times, this may appear solid, but could in fact be completely rusted. Also, check under the carpet in front of the front seats as well. If the screws on the door-sills are corroded, there's a good chance you will have rust issues on the floor.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
282 Posts

As a rule of thumb, when it comes to the body, if it's below the door handles and made of steel it will need checking - so that doors frames of the doors themselves, the door pillars, sills, floors, tailgates, inner wings, bulkhead, all the body mounts (there are 10) - when inspecting, give yourself plenty of time and be thorough....this may sound like a bit of an exageration, but I've owned a few, and spent many hours welding :wink:

these are wonderful cars, but they do suffer with rust that hides itself very well as the frame has an aluminium outer skin, which can cover all sorts of nasties.

·
Registered
95 Posts

Hi Nick,

You didn't mention the mileage (kilo-age?) on the truck, but I've read and seen many articles that focus on how the vehicle was used, not necessarily how many hours are on the engine, but how it was used and how it was maintained. Was the RRC used on-road only, like mine, or was it regularly taken off-road and "played with hard"? All questions you should ask the dealer/owner and make sure you ask to see all the service records.

Rust is indeed an issue and major concern, but so is the state of the engine, which likes oil changes every 3000-3500 miles and also can suffer from over-heating. In fact, oil/fluid changes in the engine, transmission, transfer case, both differentials and drive shafts, as well as keeping everything that needs lubing lubed is the best way to keep it running as long as possible. ;-)

I wish you the best and hope you find a great RRC!

Bob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Hi to all,

Thank you for the first info which is highly appreciated.

Unfortunately since it was my first post I couldnt attacht more pics. Please allow me to attach more pics in a while to see the interior too.

Thanks again,

Nick

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

And here are the rest of the photos. 22 photos in 3 parts follow.

The classic has 120.000 kms on the clock, but I cannot be sure if that is the true mileage

Thanks again...

Nick

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,079 Posts

looks clean - get a screwdriver and go poking around in all the rust spots the guys identified. If the ks on this thing are right you'd expect to get plenty of life out of it, they seem to go to 300,000 or so, although I'd expect the standard electrical problems.

Have a look at the amount of wear on the brake pedal, if the corner is rounded off then the k's will be much higher. Some positive signs are that the glove box isn't falling apart and the drivers side map pocket is intact suggesting it hasn't had a lot of usage.

Paint work and timber veneer condition suggests it has mostly been garaged.

PS the steering wheel seems to be on the wrong side

·
Registered
253 Posts

Yasou Nick.

It looks very well kept and original, before you commit, check to make sure the low ratio works, and through the gearbox, have a look at the swivel housings to see if there is any seepage, its not a big issue, but they will probably need doing at some point, allow for an engine oil and gearbox oil change as well as the TC. Make sure the temp gauge stays close to the middle of the gauge, with those taken care of, if it runs, drives, stops and idles, given it's coming on to 23 years old, it should be fine !

It's missing the rear light guards but the mountings are all there and they are easily replaced.

·
Registered
253 Posts

Oh... aside from it looking very nice.. the steering wheel is in the wrong place.

·
Registered
104 Posts

those pictures are nice, but they don't help at all, they just show the good things, what you need is pictures from underneath, from the rear cross member, etc. I guess you have the pictures from the advert.
Go and have a look at the truck yourself.

Chris

·
Registered
99 Posts

Those pictures have to be phony, I don't see any rust at all.:)

·
Registered
253 Posts

if the car has spent a lot of its life in southern Greece i wouldn't expect much tin worm at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Hi to all,

I would like to thank you for the warm welcome and all the info provided. It feels already as home !

Yes, these pics are from the online advert. I will have a look at the truck during the next days, but before I do that I wanted to know the most possible in order to go and check the right things.

I will advise you about the outcome.

Thank you all again,

Nick

·
Registered
104 Posts

Hi Nick, if the truck is ok, go for it, 6990.-- Euros is not to bad, in Germany they ask at least the double for a similar truck. And they are getting more and more expensive. :?

Cheers, Chris

Edit: The advert says ""Cruise Control" , check that too, mine worked only for one day :think:

·
Registered
2 Posts

Hi Nick,
If I were you I would pass! The car looks nice only from pics but if you get closer you will see rust in ALL the tricky places .... lower side in all four doors, rear corners, upper and lower tail gates plus there are holes YES HOLES that you push a screwdriver from the outside and you lift the carpet under the drivers side. The car has been respayed, the paint job on the bonnet is poor and there are a few dents here and there. The engine is also changed and the owner is NOT honest. Hope I covered you but please if you go for a check let me know if I was correct! My grandfather use to say " kathenas tin pordoula tou gia aroma tin exei". Take care

·
Registered
138 Posts

Nice truck.

Did you buy it?

·
Registered
68 Posts

check bulkhead under the the wiper panel around brake booster & hood hinges , drain holes block & rusts the panel

1 - 20 of 20 Posts