RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opinions, advice welcome. I want to purchase my first Range Rover this week. Have been looking for awhile and found a 2000HSE and a 2001HSE in my price range. I have a few questions I hope to get answers to.
Any advice on these years verses 1999 or 1998?
I have looked at one with the air suspension conversion done but it looks too low to the ground. Is that right?
2001 heater doesn't work on test drive. Live in warm climate so it doesn't matter to me. Don't want to buy vehicle with existing problem but does that affect anything else?
I appreciate all advice and thanks for your time.
Tim

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
626 Posts
I have a 2002HSE and it had a coil spring conversion done by the PO before I got my hands on it.
I'd rather have it on air but haven't had the time to change it back yet.For me the ride on spring suspension is fine and I like it but would like to eventually have my rig as stock and 100% as possible plus air is supposed to be more comfortable but have never driven one with air spring so can't compair.
As for the non functioning heater core (is the passenger side footwell damp or does it look mouldy?sure sign of a coolant leak) its an easy fix if you're anyway good with your hands and will run you around $80 in parts and 3-5 hrs of a Saturday.There are many great step by step write-ups on it here if you take the time to search.
You'll also find a list of what to look for when purchasing one of these rigs which should you'd do well to pay attention too as it could make the difference between buying a good one or one that could hurt your wallet.
Service history or a PO that looked after his rig would be a big deciding factor and also miles come into play too.
I bought mine with 114k on it last August and she now has 128k on her and no issues with her really but then I try to make sure and catch issues before they start as preventative maintenance is huge with P38's.
Also make sure you have a have a functioning keyfob as a replacement will set you back the best part of $400 from LR in the U.K.
Best of look with it and make sure to keep us posted and put up pics of your new addition.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Ours is the bosch also and I think you will be better off as some reduction in electrical issues-may be the better gear machined vs welded to the flywheel that the cps reads-ps pump is cheaper but engine has SAI to offset that saving (when something fails and ours has issues) Let us know which one. The more parts that have been replaced the better off you should be in terms of new/repeat repairs. Our early ownership included air springs and new drivers door lock (weird locking\unlocking without touching the locks. Without records I think all shocks and ball joints are orig. buut all tie rod heim joints were worn and needed changing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts