RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Proud owner of another old Rover,

My own exhaustive searching on the site has not yielded an answer other than EAS was designed by sadists. I'm fairly certain that I have a slow leak somewhere because when I do have an issue where the light on the EAS shows it in access/crawl, I'll leaver the door open and after about 10-15 minutes the compressor will shut off. Here's what I can not figure out.

When I plug into the OBDII port and view the programmed ride heights, the readings for the right rear are changing. For example, if normal height is 110, right rear will be 196; with access being 69 and RR at 225. My blackbox lets me clear faults and program ride height which gets me working again, only until I have to do this all over again. Why are these changing on me? Is my right rear height sensor failing and the ECU is slowly compensating the auto leveling feature?

Appreciate any thoughts, suggestions, and tips to sort this particular issue.

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
You have to save/write your new settings AND wait for the confirmation. If you are not getting a confirmation the the settings have been stored then the ECU will revert back to the original settings.

·
Registered
771 Posts
As RRTH says, they must be saved, I use the rsw solutions software, I find it easier to use, free download, if you’ve got a obd lead your sorted,, otherwise available on ebay

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the note. I do get the confirmation beeps by the truck when it saves and I go back and check. So I?m not yet sure what?s the cause of the programmed heights, specifically the rr with a different number than programmed.

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
Well the other issue is that you could be using hexadecimal number not even in the acceptable range for each setting. EAS settings are numbers from 0-255 with a limited range for each setting. Custom settings outside of the acceptable range will never be able to be saved because they do not allow for the automatic safety settings to be followed. For instance you normal setting needs to be close to where you started. Highway mode can be lowered quite a bit without impact the range. Wading height can be raised a bit, but not too much as it interferes with gounding mode when you EAS thinks it is high centered.

Access is just plain access and only useful for "crawl mode" in parking garages or helping folks get in or out.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
The EAS won't accept values out of range. From memory, the maximum settings are 160 Front and 150 rear. On normal ride height my settings are around 105 Front and 110 Rear.
Your rear control settings are 110 but when you read them they are 196 and 225?
It sounds as though there is a problem with your rear sensors otherwise the back of your car would be jacked up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate the thoughts. I set them say at 110 all the way around and they save. And then a week later the EAS won?t respond so I plug in the black box and the right rear setting value is no longer 110 rather 169. Why would the set values change when I read them? Does the auto leveling feature over time reprogram the set values? If yes then I would think that the right rear sensor is Wonked. Does this sound reasonable?

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
You seriously need to learn how to calibrate. set you rrig to normal, measure from wheel centre to fender lips. no need for fancy dang blocks or kits. just measure. NO MATTER THE BASE NUMBERS... adjust your normal setting until you are level at all four corners.

From Standard setting you can play with highway and wading mode. You MUST be level at normal height to start though.

Height sensor readings can vary wildly. especially true if a sensor has been swapped to the opposite side because it is then upside down and at the opposite end of the 0-255 scale. So a rear left can read 120 and the rear right can read 220 if it has been swapped. Don;t let all the posts about requiring calibration blocks and certain base readings fool you. It;s all bull plop. You just need a base reading that is close to level, set on a close to level surface. I have calibrated p38s for almost 20 years with no insipid blocks, tools and it has never taken more than 30 minutes for a full operational calibration from scratch. :thumb:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the approach on using a tape and measure. That?s a good point if the right rear was swapped and would read a different number. I guess my main question then is why would the programmed setting that I program change without my intervention? And it?s not only rr on one of the height settings rather they?ll all change. And I should have added that I will usually have an EAS fault as well. I will grab some pics and take some measurements then next time this happens. I also suspect I may have a leak and I?m certain the compressor which is the original needs to be rebuilt as well. Thanks as always for the insight

1 - 9 of 9 Posts