RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... just totaled my ’06 on the way back from Fl a week ago. The car performed great as far as protecting the family. I’d like to replace it with another but my wife is really interested in something with a more modern GPS and Radio than the ’06. Were the later years of the L322 better in that regard? Her frame of reference is a 2010 3Series with the I drive.

Im told the L322 sweet spot is ‘06 - ‘09 with the Jag engine. What are the downsides of the later L322s?

Thanks for any help or insight you can provide?

·
Registered
640 Posts
So... just totaled my ’06 on the way back from Fl a week ago. The car performed great as far as protecting the family. I’d like to replace it with another but my wife is really interested in something with a more modern GPS and Radio than the ’06. Were the later years of the L322 better in that regard? Her frame of reference is a 2010 3Series with the I drive.

Im told the L322 sweet spot is ‘06 - ‘09 with the Jag engine. What are the downsides of the later L322s?

Thanks for any help or insight you can provide?
I have a 2012 L322 S/C in Fuji White with a little over 150k. I have NOT yet had the timing issue, and per the CARFAX neither did either of the previous owners.

Aside from scheduled maintenance, it appears that prior to my ownership starting at 126k, there was only a front diff seal replaced and a water pump replaced.

After buying it, the biggest pain was the repeated AMK (non-OEM) compressor failures every 6 months, fortunately replaced under warranty. Each time it was an exhaust valve failure which resulted in the vehicle being able to be raised, but not lowered.

I have not had any repeated failures from any factory original part, though, which makes me feel a little better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2012 L322 S/C in Fuji White with a little over 150k. I have NOT yet had the timing issue, and per the CARFAX neither did either of the previous owners.

Aside from scheduled maintenance, it appears that prior to my ownership starting at 126k, there was only a front diff seal replaced and a water pump replaced.

After buying it, the biggest pain was the repeated AMK (non-OEM) compressor failures every 6 months, fortunately replaced under warranty. Each time it was an exhaust valve failure which resulted in the vehicle being able to be raised, but not lowered.

I have not had any repeated failures from any factory original part, though,
Thanks for the response! That’s good to know. Were you able to get good maintenance records when you bought it? Also, is the radio and NAV stuff better in the ‘12 than it was on the earlier ones?

·
Registered
2011 RRSC
78 Posts
Thanks for the response! That’s good to know. Were you able to get good maintenance records when you bought it? Also, is the radio and NAV stuff better in the ‘12 than it was on the earlier ones?
Too be honest it is the same radio with updated graphics in the 10-12models. The big upgrade really is the ipod integration and when used with a bovee bluetooth adapter you can use your iphone wireless for music. I have the HK HD in my 2011 which is only slightly better then the standard HK

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Too be honest it is the same radio with updated graphics in the 10-12models. The big upgrade really is the ipod integration and when used with a bovee bluetooth adapter you can use your iphone wireless for music. I have the HK HD in my 2011 which is only slightly better then the standard HK
Does that also integrate the GPS/Nav stuff too somehow? My 06 had a USB installed where the front lighter was, but I think all it did was work for wireless music.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
313 Posts
If you want better GPS/navigation I suggest you check with an LR dealership to see what is the latest nav data you can get. For my 2008 the newest available CD is years out of date.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
With my '12, it does have Bluetooth for your phone and an Ipod jack connected with a cord which works for me as I use and Android phone over BT and and Ipod to the plug in the console. I never have to touch the Ipod, just use the RR controls. Like mentioned, if you wish to use your phone for music, you can add the Bovee BT adaptor.
As for any car based NAV, I really prefer using my phone to any system out there. Just too slow to type in letters on the screen. I did use the factory system recently on a trip. I found it kind of funny when it told me I didn't have enough gas to reach my destination 500 miles away.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'd be going 4th gen, jump past dated MMI, and clear of the timing chain issues. I agree the 08/09 are really good years for the traditionalist. 10-13 if you can plan (warranty) or budget for potential repairs, even better. The 2010 refresh was to buy development time for the 4th gen. 2010 was the new MMI, LED lighting, and the most powerful engine ever fitted :)

I don't drive my'08 much at all now (parked on an industry site for the engineers to use) since I got a 2011 Audi A8 - for the MMI phone and bluetooth integration and the A8 is quicker. FOr now anyway - might get the rangie back soon who knows.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you want better GPS/navigation I suggest you check with an LR dealership to see what is the latest nav data you can get. For my 2008 the newest available CD is years out of date.
It’s not so much the data for her as it is how it functions and maybe a bit of how the screen looks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With my '12, it does have Bluetooth for your phone and an Ipod jack connected with a cord which works for me as I use and Android phone over BT and and Ipod to the plug in the console. I never have to touch the Ipod, just use the RR controls. Like mentioned, if you wish to use your phone for music, you can add the Bovee BT adaptor.
As for any car based NAV, I really prefer using my phone to any system out there. Just too slow to type in letters on the screen. I did use the factory system recently on a trip. I found it kind of funny when it told me I didn't have enough gas to reach my destination 500 miles away.
Cool, thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd be going 4th gen, jump past dated MMI, and clear of the timing chain issues. I agree the 08/09 are really good years for the traditionalist. 10-13 if you can plan (warranty) or budget for potential repairs, even better. The 2010 refresh was to buy development time for the 4th gen. 2010 was the new MMI, LED lighting, and the most powerful engine ever fitted :)

I don't drive my'08 much at all now (parked on an industry site for the engineers to use) since I got a 2011 Audi A8 - for the MMI phone and bluetooth integration and the A8 is quicker. FOr now anyway - might get the rangie back soon who knows.
Yup, I’m going to take a look. Just not sure I can swing one $$ wise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why not get a 2006-2009 FFRR and install a NavTool CarPlay system in the rear left compartment? This is better than the now-outdated iPod integration and will give you the same screen display as newer cars with CarPlay or Android Auto

·
Registered
640 Posts
In a word: yes.

2006-2009:

2010-2012

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I like the "virtual" dash on my '12 and I didn't really expect to like it. Being able to configure it is cool and I like the little features like highlighting the part of the tach you are operating in as well as the markers for the cruise control settings. I also like how it all disappears when you shut the engine off and replaces it with a picture. I've wondered if I could somehow insert my own custom photo. All in all, I think they did a good job integrating new tech without losing the look and feel of an analog gauge. I hear folks maligning the '10-'12 over the timing chain issue. But I love the grunt of the 5.0SC so much that my plan is to update the tensioners and refresh the SC bearings around the 90k mark. I drove 650 miles in one day recently in 4 western states over 10 hours. I can hardly believe that a vehicle this heavy can be driven this quickly yet safely for that long and step out without feeling completely fried. I love this thing.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I like the "virtual" dash on my '12 and I didn't really expect to like it. Being able to configure it is cool and I like the little features like highlighting the part of the tach you are operating in as well as the markers for the cruise control settings. I also like how it all disappears when you shut the engine off and replaces it with a picture. I've wondered if I could somehow insert my own custom photo. All in all, I think they did a good job integrating new tech without losing the look and feel of an analog gauge. I hear folks maligning the '10-'12 over the timing chain issue. But I love the grunt of the 5.0SC so much that my plan is to update the tensioners and refresh the SC bearings around the 90k mark. I drove 650 miles in one day recently in 4 western states over 10 hours. I can hardly believe that a vehicle this heavy can be driven this quickly yet safely for that long and step out without feeling completely fried. I love this thing.
It helps it squats at 80 MPH to help with stability in what is otherwise a rolling shoe box.

There is a way to customize the picture but more than I’d want to get into. Not drag n’ drop by any means!

Yeah the power at low RPM is so satisfying I’m hardly ever into boost. Mostly appreciating how it can lug itself up a hill on sheer torque without even downshifting.

My advice would be to find a 2010-2012 that has been 100% dealer serviced, but has NOT had a water pump or timing chain replacement. Then, that would be the first thing(s) I did when I got it.

My point is to avoid one that’s had a catastrophic failure (overheat) and make sure you have control over who did (does) the timing job. No bare minimum parts / effort.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks all! I have located a “low” mileage 2012. It did have a cooling issue and water pump replacement at around 30k miles. Current mileage is under 60. No timing chain/tensioners/guides work done according to maintenance records Which are almost all dealer maintenance records.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why not get a 2006-2009 FFRR and install a NavTool CarPlay system in the rear left compartment? This is better than the now-outdated iPod integration and will give you the same screen display as newer cars with CarPlay or Android Auto
Definitely interested in more info on that system. After I get the wife sorted out and happy I do have my eye on an 06 supercharged L322.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
128 Posts
I'd go for an 07-09 as the 06 is more of the hybrid Frankenstein model. It'll be easier to upgrade parts on those models as well. Once you find one you like upgrade the head unit and that should get you what you're looking for.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you’re really interested in navigation, I would definitely recommend against MY10-12 because it was the ONLY system that was not user updatable. There is no CD/DVD drive, there is only a 2.5” laptop sized hard drive contained in the display unit, and the ONLY way to update it was via a FireWire cable buried in the glove box using a special denso External hard drive tool/software that is completely unobtainable/prohibitively expensive, that I doubt even dealers have sitting around anymore. When they did, they charged hundreds of dollars to update the software.

if in-dash based navigation is really important to you on a Gen3, I suggest you investigate CarPlay retrofits. I consider my oem in dash navigation System as a backup in case my primary (iPhone based) one fails.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you’re really interested in navigation, I would definitely recommend against MY10-12 because it was the ONLY system that was not user updatable. There is no CD/DVD drive, there is only a 2.5” laptop sized hard drive contained in the display unit, and the ONLY way to update it was via a FireWire cable buried in the glove box using a special denso External hard drive tool/software that is completely unobtainable/prohibitively expensive, that I doubt even dealers have sitting around anymore. When they did, they charged hundreds of dollars to update the software.

if in-dash based navigation is really important to you on a Gen3, I suggest you investigate CarPlay retrofits. I consider my oem in dash navigation System as a backup in case my primary (iPhone based) one fails.
Yikes! Thanks for the tip. So the CarPlay system will interface with the ‘10-‘12 RangeRover? My wife is an iPhone user.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts