RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I've decided to let my 1995 P38 have a rest and send her to a new home and treat myself to a 2003 L322 Vogue.
I have followed the P38 forums, gremlins and repairs for about 5 years now and know what to look for in the P38, however the L322 is a totally new machine to me and I was hoping I could be pointed to some key items to check on the vehicle before I purchase. Is this vehicle another LR electrical nightmare?

It has done 114,000km with full service books and is immaculate inside and out (test drive tomorrow).

What should I look for/ test/ ask prior to purchase?

Many thanks.
(I am so excited :)

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
SpiggyTopes said:
Good luck - dying to know how you get on!

DON'T rush (that's what I do!).
I rushed too so remember there are quite a lot of good 2002/3/4 car out there at good prices.

If I were doing it again I would:

1) Look for Standard unmodified/unmolested car (I didn't).
2) Full Service History a must ( It looked good but there were missing bits)
3) Avoid low profile Tyres (Vibration inducing especially on Diesel) I didn't).
4) Check for rust under window sills and behind wheels.(I didn't).
5) Ensure ECU light is not on and get garage check if it is (I didn't).
6) New tyres will be £900 so make sure they are not too worn (I did).
7) Interior & Carpets should be VERY clean on a 70k car.
8.) Check Windscreen for small cracks/chips (Easily missed - I did)
9.) HPI check is a must (I did & Finance needed repaying)
10) Check Wheel Nut Lock Key & Tool Kit are present (I missed this)

My car has turned out great but I could have reduced price due to all of above!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think that's a good list. The service history suggestion is the most important, IMHO, and not just so that you know it's had its oil changes. The real reason is that there are several expensive things that seem to fail and need replacing when the truck is of a certain age. If the one you're looking at has had a lot of these things done already, then it could be great value. If it hasn't, then almost no price would be low enough.

I got a 'great deal' on an L322 a year and a half ago. Cooling system, shocks, compressor, brakes etc. etc. later, it's not such a good deal anymore. Because I don't do my own work, my repair costs over that first year were roughly 50% on top of what I paid for the vehicle. Typical of my luck, it will probably be a great deal for the next guy (am selling).

I've concluded (too late) that the Range Rover is like my 911 in one sense: Service history trumps everything. More than mileage, visual condition, options and the rest, the more you know about the life it's led, the less risk for you. Good luck. A good Range Rover day is a glorious thing. Nothing else like it.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Creemore said:
I think that's a good list. The service history suggestion is the most important, IMHO, and not just so that you know it's had its oil changes. The real reason is that there are several expensive things that seem to fail and need replacing when the truck is of a certain age. If the one you're looking at has had a lot of these things done already, then it could be great value. If it hasn't, then almost no price would be low enough.

I got a 'great deal' on an L322 a year and a half ago. Cooling system, shocks, compressor, brakes etc. etc. later, it's not such a good deal anymore. Because I don't do my own work, my repair costs over that first year were roughly 50% on top of what I paid for the vehicle. Typical of my luck, it will probably be a great deal for the next guy (am selling).

I've concluded (too late) that the Range Rover is like my 911 in one sense: Service history trumps everything. More than mileage, visual condition, options and the rest, the more you know about the life it's led, the less risk for you. Good luck. A good Range Rover day is a glorious thing. Nothing else like it.
I forgot to mention:

1. to check that the "Diff Recal" has been completed by a Land Rover Dealer
2. Drive it at over 55mph and check for Steering wheel Vibration/Shimmy
3. If LPG make sure it got a Green Certificate and LPG Service History
4. If its live by the sea check for Rust underneath etc.
5. Make sure Air Suspension raise up & Down without fuss or bother and that the car is not too down at the back.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the heads up guys.
I had her for the entire day today and I am pleased to say that when I took it to my LR mechanic 'ALL' of the staff came out to comment on how clean it is top to bottom.

THE GOOD
------------
Service books show every 10,000km service by LR dealer (female owner, no off road - Underbody inspection confirmed this)
Diff recall complete and replaced
EAS all good
No rust, steering vibration, oil leaks
Good tyres, inc brand new spare on matching rim
Rear roof TV with wireless headphones (was this standard or an extra - it is Pioneer - looks factory fitted)
Inc factory wrap around bullbar, side steps and roof racks.

Very happy with the car and collect on Friday :D

THE NOT SO GOOD
----------------------
No tow hitch (has LR towbar but no hitch - hitch looks to be very long to clear the bumper??)
Toolkit missing (what was in it?)
The price of premium petrol for 100Lt tank!!
Did I mention petrol prices? :doh:

QUESTIONS
----------------
1. Where can I buy an updated DVD for the Sat Nav (Australia) as many towns were not even listed when I searched under city?
2. I need to buy floor mats and a cargo box (any suggestion for after market mats or where to get genuine at a good price - any Ebay sellers?)
3. Any threads on here re LPG conversion? I've heard the BMW motors don't like it. (Want to know if it is worth taking my injected system off the P38 before I sell it - owes me $4,500 and is 4 months old).

On a final note, an old friend (who actually put me onto my P38 - God bless his soul!) popped into the dealer while I was there. He has a 2006 Disco 3 diesel with chip. I had a drive of that and it did go quite well but I like the gadgets and the finish and the shape and the V8. In one breathe they were awe struck with my Vogue but then tried to talk me into a diesel Disco. Vogue it is. Think I made the right choice.

Many thanks for the advice guys.
I feel like a virgin again. So many questions just after I have mastered the P38 I am now overwhelmed with gadgets - excited!!

Zem

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm getting cold feet. I don''t really need it and the P38 still goes well.
I do a bit of off road and the Vogue is going to be too nice to take into the dirt.
I'm thinking I should pay my house of first. I'm 26yo.

Need advice - confused :think:

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,365 Posts
zem said:
I'm getting cold feet. I don''t really need it and the P38 still goes well.
I do a bit of off road and the Vogue is going to be too nice to take into the dirt.
I'm thinking I should pay my house of first. I'm 26yo.

Need advice - confused :think:
If it is any comfort I have been confused too.

Several mates strongly advised an L322 because they reckon it has been "sorted" by BMW's quality procedures and would be a better bet long term.

Money - i can get an '02 P38 Vogue for between R 110k and 150k; L322 starts at over 200K.

The L322 is undoubtedly a "better" vehicle all round, but the spare parts cost frightens me, to be honest; I don't mind spending out when I feel i have a little control or choice of supplier.

Even after driving the L322 and being very impressed, the desire to stay with the older model was very strong.

Hope this helps a bit.

Finally, surely you can have the house and the car? If you keep it a long time the cost dwindles into insignificance and you have the pleasure of a beautiful car.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SpiggeyTopes,

Appreciate the words of someone who has been there and done that.

My million dollar question is.....Do these trucks run well on LPG Gas?
Is there a thread on here re gas conversions?

I've heard mixed reports outside of this forum so thought I would post for the 'real answer' from the gurus.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi, had mine converted to LPG approx 1,200 miles ago - all runs fine so far - I'm getting 250 miles out of 72-73 litres (cost equates to 32-38 UK MPG depending on how I drive and where I fill up). :D

Prins system installed for £1650 (UK). :D

Only issues you'll have is re-mounting the EAS pump from it's original housing (is very noisy unless done correctly and you may get more noise from engine (lpg injectors and removal of sound insulation from engine cover).
Cheers

John

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I too have a Vogue V8 LPG conversion. Mine is a BRC duel fuel conversion and I bought the car with it installed. Its 12 months old and works great with automatic switching to Petrol when the Gas runs out. I also have a 72l donut tank and get about 210 miles per tank urban/school run and 250 or more on a long easy run. The other day I tried driving as easy as possible to check how much could be squeezed out of it and got the equivalent of 40mpg on a 60 mile round trip! Filling is as easy as Petrol but takes a bit longer due to the pumping speed. Power seems the same as Petrol so no loss there.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HI Guys,

Appreciate all of the great advice but I've chickened out and have decided to hold onto the P38 as I still like to go off-road and the Vogue is simply too nice to get dirty.
There are a few nice Vogues around Melbourne if anyone is interested let me know and I can pass you the details.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
Probably a good choice if you are unsure as you will resent spending money on the car if you have doubts.

The P38 is a true Range Rover, with quality in every part. The L322 is very much all show. It's fast and good to drive, but it isnt the best quality. For example the buttons click when you press them rather than everything on the L322 was soft and nice.

Dan

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi guys, thanks for the support. I have spent weeks debating the pros and cons and it ultimately came down to price a) to purchase and b) parts.
There is no doubt it was a beautiful vehicle but it simply was too (as my mate put it - 'soccer mom') for me to be beating around dirt tracks camping on the weekends.

The P38 is on the original engine and now is at 284,000km. Worst case the engine and auto goes (my mechanic thinks she is nowhere near such events) then a reco and I'll still have plenty of change and a nice car.
He is dropping a TD5 in one of his P38s shortly so will see how that goes.

In a way I am relieved that I didn't have to 'break up' with my lover. And for us LR owners, it is a love affair regardless if we admit it or not :)

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
zem said:
The P38 is on the original engine and now is at 284,000km. Worst case the engine and auto goes (my mechanic thinks she is nowhere near such events) then a reco and I'll still have plenty of change and a nice car.
If you get a good Rover V8 they are very reliable and if you've got to that mileage, it will probably go to double that. In warmer temps the oil is happier at cold startup so less wear occurs. Just step up your maintenance schedule, in terms of fluid changes etc for gearbox, engine and diffs and you should remain trouble free.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cheers Dan,

Very nice to hear. Certainly be looking after my baby a bit more now that I am keeping her longer.
PS: Nice Vogue.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts