RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advice on a 1993 County LWB. It has 170000 miles and has a 2" lift kit the body is great a little pealing of theclear coat on roof and hood about 7 or 8 out of 10 and the interior is great as well except for the 2 front seat which are worn a lot no major tears.Great tires and rims. The engine runs great many changes and up keep to it. Now here are the worries no heat or air the heater has been bypassed and the aircondition does not work without radiator fluid coming in the foot area of the interior all for 3500.00 dollars. Based on that is it a good price he said he could come down a little I'm thinking more like 2200.00 or 2500.00 please let me know any opinions Thanks Warren

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,427 Posts
wmjsajudge said:
Based on that is it a good price he said he could come down a little I'm thinking more like 2200.00 or 2500.00 please let me know any opinions Thanks Warren
Which country?

US$
CAN$
A$

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
159 Posts
If you've got coolant coming into the footwell, then this would suggest that the heater matrix is leaking. Replacement requires removal of most of the front facia and takes about a day to do. Can be used as a price negotiator.

If the carpets have been getting wet, then the footwells are likely to be rusting. Lift the carpets out to take a close look. Patches can be welded in without too much difficulty unless the rot has transferred to the A pillar.

On the subject of rust, take a good look at the front inner wings, sills, rear wheel arches (particularly where the seat belt mounts are), boot floor and rear cross member.

At that age, you've probably got a viscous coupling in the drive train. These are known to seize up. Again, not a huge job to replace, but a replacement part is a couple of hundred pounds in the UK. As a quick check, drive the vehicle on a loose surface (e.g. gravel driveway), give it full steering lock and see whether the front wheels skid and scuff or it turns nicely. If you get scuffing, then it's seized.

If it's got air suspension, check that it goes to all the height settings properly and that the pumps not running constantly.

Look for evidence of coolant in the oil which could indicate head gasket problems

The above makes it sound like there are lots of things to go wrong, but don't forget it's nearly a 20 year old motor, so it's bound to have some "character". I bought mine 12 years ago and it took a while to sort the issues out, but now I wouldn't change it. At the end if the day, buy on condition, not mileage and age and if it's not right, walk away - there are others out there.

2200 US dollars is about 1500 UK pounds at the current exchange rate. In the UK, for that money I'd be looking for one that's pretty special and so would suggest that it's over priced. From what you describe, I'd be looking to pay about half that on this side of the pond. Given the fact that they're rarer in the US, I'd maybe pay between 1500 and 2000 dollars depending on what work needs doing, but that's my opinion

Hope this helps
Peter

·
Registered
153 Posts
With those problems you listed - clear coat failure, heater/ac problems, etc - it is high in my opinion. I paid $1,500 for my 1995 LWB a year and a half ago. It has the same mileage as the one you're looking at, has an unbelievable interior, zero rust, and no clear coat failure. Unless the seller is willing to come WAY down, I'd walk away.

Colin

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm walking! So is yours up for sale Lol. Since I got this going I have another one its a 95 SWB County Classic 170000 miles has a baseball rust spot on hood all the way through, exhaust manifold leak on the left side,some rust on the back door top and bottom, slightly bent back bumper, and 2 baseball size holes in the back door wheel wells,cruise don't work,sunroof has been deactivated, other than that everything works ok and runs good. He want $1550.00 US dollars. How about that one? Its green and has side bars. Either way any input would help. Thanks again you guys are great I've learned so much already!

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
159 Posts
That's one of the beauties about owning a Land Rover - the learning never stops `)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts