RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - A week ago my '99 (Bosch) Range Rover w/ 120K miles overheated. The big hose that goes into the top of the radiator (RH, passenger side) busted and the coolant was spraying everywhere. I didn't try to drive it when it happened, just pulled over and got it towed to a trusty, nearby Rover shop called The Rover Doctor. They fixed the hose and made an interesting observation: the hose is clamped over a tube that comes out of the radiator that is about 3-4inches long.... *mine* is only about 1inch long because its been cracked. So the new hose doesn't have a lot of room to clamp onto, but the pressure test concluded it would not come off and no new radiator was necessary. I drove off happy to have my rover back.

Two days later, it overheated again as I got home. This time it was another busted hose down below coming from the thermostat. The techs over at the garage said that pressure is causing these old hoses to break and they simply need replacing. As a result, I had them replace all the ones they felt were weak hoses... and the old thermostat in case that's the culprit because it could gum up and cause pressure?

After driving around town for a few hours, the rover started overheating again! I pulled over and popped the hood... the hose that goes into the top of the radiator had come off!! The tech is blaming the radiator saying its logically the next thing to replace and that the top tube not having enough room to let the hose clamp is proving problematic... even though the pressure tested it.

SO.... the original part# for the radiator is PCC106850 which goes for $300-$450usd. I'm seeing some range rover radiators (bosch) on Ebay for around $250. Does anyone have any experience with these radiators?

Any feedback regarding overheating issues or radiators is much appreciated... currently my rover has been parked for days and just looks sad.

Thanks,

Rafael

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think you need to have your coolant system checked to make sure its not getting pressurized by cylinder gasses. Even if the hoses are old they should not be exploding that easy. If that checks out Ok then I would give that ebay rad a shot, change your water pump while you at it.

I hope your motors OK and not more serious . Take it to another shop.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hi, just had same issues, my advice is to start at the cheapest first, expansion cap, then themostat, then expansion bottle, then water pump(should be able to take this off if it gone you should be able to tell straight away) If that all fails and keeps over heating to check the rad get a laser thermoter and and put it on all points. but make sure the other things are fixed first as may get cool spots anyway if it old. start with the cheapest first.
Mine had a blocked tube in the expansion bottle cause me all my problems, got one from the breakers for £15 no more problems with overheating.
hope this helps
Onetime

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the advice! I do have a feeling that I've got a block somewhere causing all this added pressure.... simply not sure where it is. How can you tell if the expansion cap is bad? It feels tight and I haven't had any leaks (yet) from the expansion tank. So far, the majority of the hoses have been changed along with the thermostat but I'm still having problems.

Also, would a pressure test determine if there are any blocks in the system?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
234 Posts
rbarrero said:
I do have some water in my passenger footwell... could this be attributing to the overheating?
Hello, sound right heater o rings have gone bad, take it to bits and have a look, mine did this too, pretty easy job DIY, and save your self hundreds in labour, think there is a fixed post about it. I cut out some of the covered pastic to make it easier. start there before a pressure test.Ps don't drive it while hot will cause more issues if overheats.
hope this helps
cheers
Onetime

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I figure I should post back and let everyone know that after replacing my radiator, my overheating problem has subsided. I decided to try my luck with a $230 radiator off ebay (Silla brand) because after the touch test, I noticed that one side of my old radiator would heat up, but not the other half... which indicates a block (right?). Anyway, I'm riding happy for the time being and it didn't take a lot of work... just follow the rave procedures.

Cheers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts