• Pray for a natural disaster

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know from my posts this past week, I am a new Range Rover owner and have been having some major issues with my recent purchase. I'd like to thank the many of you who have been extremely helpful with pointing me in the right direction with some of the issues experienced. I really appreciate your help. I'd like to get some input and advice on selling the RR.

And while i understand the standard "you should have known better or should have had it inspected prior to purchase" comments that some have posted under my other threads... that is all under the bridge now. Lesson learned.. and a mistake I won't make again. It seems we live in a society where dealers are more than willing to flatout lie about a vehicles condition in order to sell it.

I purchased a 2003 Range Rover with 61,400 miles on it a week again from a dealer in Miami ( I live in NC). It was remarkable clean on the inside and was advertised as "Just inspected, fully serviced, like new". I thought I was getting a great buy at 19,500. The car had a clean carfax and a clean service record from Landrover. Needless to say, the car did not make it back to Charlotte. I had to have it towed in the last 100 miles home and paid $1200.00 to have a new alternator, serpentine belt, water pump pulley, and new battery installed. That was 2 days after purchase .. When i got it fixed I was told there was an oil leak, and other issues that needed addressed. I took it to another local mechanic here in Charlotte who many here recommended and couldn't have been happier with his service and advice. He said the car had an oil leak, power steering oil leak, needed the instrument panel replaced or repaired for dead pixels and also needed transmission work - a trans. failsafe prog . message was displaying once starting the vehicle and again when turning it off. He said the ECU showed 52 error codes for the transmission and that his estimate of repairs would be in the $3-5K. range and that even then he wasn't sure it would be completely fixed. I asked his honest opinion and he said .. sale it!

I took the car to carmax, a national franchise that will buy your car at wholesale and they offered me $10k for it. Im disgusted that I'd lose $10k in a matter of a week but at this point im thinking it may be worth it to just get this paperweight of problems off my shoulders. What are you guys opinions? I can't sale it privately with these problems bc i'm sure no one would be willing to purchase it for much more than what they are offering ... which is the price they'd get to send it thru to auction. If i pay to get it fixed.. then i have 26k in a car that's worth 15k wholesale and still may have other problems. The dealer isn't willing to do anything to fix the issues and i have no legal recourse.

I'm thinking maybe I can part out the brush guard with fog lights, rear light guards, and the 22inch wheels (Carmax said I could replace those with factory and it wouldnt change their price). Anyone willing to swap their factory wheels plus Cash for these 22inch Giavelli's riding on new Nexen tires. Package is worth over $4k.

Any thoughts, opinions are appreciated. Thanks guys

Attachments

G

·
0 Posts
Re: Need Advice/Help on whether or not to cut losses and sell RR

Rangeroverxx said:
Anyone willing to swap their factory wheels plus Cash for these 22inch Giavelli's riding on new Nexen tires. Package is worth over $4k.
My factory wheels +cash. Ok, i'm in, How much will you pay me to take those ugly 22's off your hands? :lol:

Seriously though, If you are considering selling it now, go private and be done with it. You are obviously not cut out for Range Rover ownership. It's a very "hands on" experience to make it affordable.

·
Registered
148 Posts

I'd fix the oil leak and power steering leak - figure out the trans (over heat?) and put a reman unit in if needed ($2500). Then drive it and be happy. Live and learn - don't foist your problem child on the next private party.

I'd sell the wheels/tires and buy some 18" or 19" Factory ones on ebay - you'd probably come out ahead (I think your wheels/tires also fit the BMW X5) - sell them on BimmerForums or Ebay.

Then, be prepared for what's to come. Water pump, hoses, radiator, expansion tank (at about 75k) - the whole job (except the water pump) is easy to do for a driveway mechanic.

All the Air Springs (probably before 100k) - Replace the fronts with Arnott (for 1/2 the factory price) and use factory for rear (since Arnott doesn't make rears). Do the work yourself - it's easy. Buy an EAS Reset tool from RSW and be happy.

Sounds like you may have a few more thousand dollars into the truck, but used cars are soft right now. I'll say it again, live and learn.

·
Registered
218 Posts

For someone that is from the "Litigation Nation" I cant believe you are thinking of rolling over and taking one up the 4 star. Over in the UK we have the sale of goods act and "fit for purpose" clauses that would have us throwing the thing back at the dealer and being compensated for your expenses.

·
Registered
141 Posts

Texas has a "Lemon Law" that gives you 3 days to throw a "lemon" car back at the dealer. Doesn't Florida have similar?

I hope you are able to overcome this issues and wish you well.

I know many excuse the wonderful RR for its poor quality, I have a hard time doing so...... I LOVE my '07 RR SC, I too am and have had a few "quality" issues, luckily the LR Roadside Assistance, Travel Assistance and warranty have all come into play. I am about to pony-up for the extended warranty to 100k miles as cheap insurance ........ Still love the RR always wanted one even with the faults.
Wished they made a more reliable vehicle ...... perhaps under TATA ??

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts

OK, I am a lawyer, but I have to concur with the comments of the previous posters.
Quit wasting time with internet polls and get yourself some legal counsel!

·
Registered
2007 HSE
388 Posts

Two things.

1. Get a lawyer. If the claims about recent service, inspection and like new were in the advertisement/in writing, and they were not true, then that is fraud.

2. Sell the wheels and tires -- if you can get $4k, then you're a long way toward fixing a lot of your problems. Not too long ago I purchased a set of four 19" wheels with mounted snow tires from a poster on this forum for $500.

I am fortunate in that the seller was in a city to which I will be traveling, so I do not have to have them shipped, but this forum is a great source for finding reasonably priced parts, wheels and tires.

If you can net $3.5k on the tires (sell old @ $4k, buy replacements for $500), plus sell the brush guard, etc. for another $500, you've got $4k to put toward getting everything properly sorted. Although I must admit I think the brush guard looks pretty sharp.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Taking the brush guard off will result in numerous holes being exposed in your front bumper, so unless you want to replace that after you take it off then it's not the best plan. Also, I just bought a mint condition front brush guard identical to yours along with rear tail light guards, including all the hardware for $200 from a guy right down the road from you in Mooresville, NC. I don't think you'd come out ahead anyway, and on top of that you'd probably have a hard time selling the guards since the dude has a second set of guards to sell at $200 :shock: If you can somehow get $4k for those wheels/tires... by all means get rid of them asap so you can offset the repair expenses you've already incurred.

It does not make sense to sell your truck for $10,000, knowing that you paid almost $20k for it... Just replace what you have to, drive it for a while, and sell it. Send your gauge cluster to vdorepair.com and for $300 that's taken care of. Fix the power steering leak since that could get worse and leave you with no fluid and stranded. What exactly does the oil leak entail? Is it the valve cover gaskets? If so, it's not an emergency to fix. I let my BMW 540 (same engine as your RR) go for over a year with leaky gaskets...it's not a big deal. Wait until you need something else done in the engine and have them replaced at that point since the additional labor will be next to nothing.

The "trans failsafe prog" message can pop up from numerous things, especially when dealing with battery/alternator issues. Does it actually go into failsafe mode or does the message just come up? If it's actually going into failsafe mode, you'll know... If it's not, then it's highly unlikely you need a transmission rebuild. Three different problems on my BMWs caused trans failsafe to come up, and all three had absolutely nothing to do with the transmission. Once was a faulty brake switch, once was a bad battery that was really close to being toast, and another time an ABS sensor needed to be replaced. Be SURE that all of the codes have been completely cleared out because if they haven't then you'' still get the error message even if the problem has been corrected. But hey, maybe you do actually need a rebuild... but I would certainly do everything I could to eliminate any other possible causes for the message before I rebuilt it based on an error code. What actual symptoms is the transmission displaying that would indicate it needs to be replaced/rebuilt?

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
144 Posts

Send me inside pics - i will take it for 10K.

This is why i picked mine up with a new tranny for 15K - i knew there was another 5K in expenses to get it good after the purchase price - the tranny was a bonus.

·
Registered
67 Posts

Taking off the brush guard not too much of a problem.. mine had an identical one when I brought it.. it will leave holes either side of the fog lights.. i used fibre glass and then p38 body filler and filled the holes up.. you cant tell that the brush guard was ever there.

·
Registered
266 Posts

I'd pay $400 for the brush bar and lights, if you were in my area. You could easily pop in a few black vinyl plugs and it wouldn't be too obvious.

I'd be very upset, but in Texas, in reality, there would probably not be much to do unless there is a record showing that they covered up problems (like resetting the ECUs to hide codes.) It would also not be unusual for a dealer to reset codes to see if they recur. If they repeat after reset, then it would be more likely that it is a real issue rather than a glitch, and they might not have recurred for the dealer. My wife's new LR3 showed "check engine" a day or two after we purchased, and after a couple of trips to the dealer, they replaced the catalytic converter under the emissions warranty.

It is a bit late now, but in some places and under some contracts, a buyer does have a window during which a transaction can be nullified for just this reason.

We just traded the wife's Disco our fourth Rover, an LR3. My L322 replaced a P38. They are not for the faint-of-wallet and you should plan to have substantial repairs over the time you own it - some do, some don't. Sometimes they are a joy to drive, at other times, they suck every spare buck from your pocket. If you want economy, sell it - it won't quite be like a dog (the initial purchase price of a purebred is far outweighed by the cost of food and care over its life) but it'll be close.

However, we drive them because of offsetting benefits, like joy of the ride, being able to go anywhere, a degree of safety, and the chicks (jk).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts