RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer wants $550 for a spare key (that includes their programming fee). Is there any less expensive way to get this done?
I did a search, and the search engine said (key, new) and (key, extra) were too short to process a result.
Help!
John

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Before you start a key discussion please put your year and model into your signature,
you have many key choices and programing options.

At the top click on settings,
then edit signature easy to do,
thanks.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
...and having your Rover's info in your signature is in the forum guidelines that you should have read before your first post.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My apologies.
My question is regarding a 2012 L322.
I have created a signature with that specification, I hope that it is now appearing there as it ought to.
Thank you :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't know if this helps, it certainly doesn't help today. For what it's worth...

I have been with only a single key for 3 years now and it's been driving me crazy (I am surprised I haven't lost it yet). But I don't want to pay $200+!

I bit the bullet today. I bought an AK90 programmer on ebay to program read the immobilisation ECU and program a transponders ($30). I also bought a key with a transponder chip and the transmitter ($18.00). I'm toying with getting the key cutter ($155). If I don't get a cutter it will probably be about $20 to get a key cut ($68 in all).

In a nutshell the steps are: 1) Remove EWS. 2) Read EWS. 3) Program new key. 4) Verify new key. 5) Put EWS back. Once you've read the EWS you have the capability to program as many keys as you want without having to remove it again.

The hardest thing to do is to get the EWS (EWS = immobilisation ECU) out of the Range Rover, which seems pretty straight forward. There's a video on youtube on how to do it and it's in the Rave. There's also several videos on how to program the new key.

Parts are coming from China, but once they get here I'll update the post to include how easy/hard the process is. If I figure it all out, I'd be more than happy to program keys for anyone. You'd have to ship me the EWS from your car, and key like the one I bought (link below)... or if you are in the Cincinnati area you could swing by my house and we could knock it out in an hour.

AK90:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Newest-V3-19-AK90-Key-Programmer-AK90-For-All-BMW-EWS-From-1995-2009/162949398781?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

KEY:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Remote-Key-3-Button-433MHz-ID44-for-Land-Rover-Range-Rover/252810394108?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649.

Key Cutter:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Key-Duplicating-Machine-Key-Guide-Key-Reproducer-Reproducing-Cutter-110V-Engrave/192476713394?epid=0&hash=item2cd08191b2:g:2nUAAOSwvGlafZIF&autorefresh=true

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
The AK90 works for 02 to 05 RR's, can copy and make new transponder chips.
The CN900 Mini works on 06 to 09 RR's can only copy existing transponder chips. May work on later years as well.
Can program new key transponders in 10 to 12 RR's with SDD.

Look like somebody deleted the entire thread that I had linked above.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
Look like somebody deleted the entire thread that I had linked above.
Folks, it is physically impossible to delete any thread in this forum software. The IT department is working on another bug that caused the forum index and database to fall out of sync.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just bought a used Range Rover Sport and it only came with one key so I'm in the same boat.I had the car inspected at an official RR dealer before I bought it, and got about the same price quoted for a spare fob as you.
I see used LR/RR fobs on ebay for around $30-$80. If you want it factory fresh you cold also buy a new OEM shell-only fob for about $20 on ebay and swap the circuit board over. You would still need to have it programmed and a new emergency key cut though. You would need to go to an official Jag/LR dealer for the emergency key (apparently they have to get it from the UK factory) but the RR dealer told me just the emergency key part is about $80 so not too bad. if you've got a good independent LR garage near you it might be worth phoning them to see if they can program the car for your new ebay-sourced fob cheaper than an official LR dealer would charge. I dont know how LR does it, but with Jags the whole operation takes literally 2 minutes.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Couple questions. For a 2004 L322 is the EWS located where the gear shift is rather in the dash area like in the BMW? That is what I am gathering from the one dark and shaky 30 second video I found and from what Rave shows (but Rave doesn't call it an EWS so I want to confirm). Were I to order an AK90 would it work w/o the special adapter?

Second question, I also have a 2008 BMW 528 - will this need the special adapter or does the AK90 have the appropriate harness. If not what would be recommended as a couple options are out there? That is the AK90 and what special adapter?

Thanks - and I would like to say this thread is providing great information.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes the "EWS" is located in the center console where the gear shift is located. There's a good video on YouTube on how to access...they are changing out the cup holder. It would not work without the adapter, you need it to read the EPROMS.

Can't answer second question...

·
Registered
346 Posts
rattker1975: I looked at the AK90 you linked - does that include the adapter that is needed or is another one required?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
They do come with at least one connector that clamps over the CPU on the EWS circuit board. Wen't looking for mine to see how many there were with it, and how many pins the connector has on it but couldn't find it. I'm sure its been "put way" somewhere with my RR stuff but I can't remember where that place is.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts