RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a additional key but BECM is not the original. How do you get a new key

Hi,

I have been searching the net trying to find out how to do this. Should have done it before but life gets in the way.

My understanding is that to get a New Key, I have to go to Range Rover who will take the VIN and then order it. But my VIN doesn't match my BECM so my understanding is that I would have paid for a lovely key which will not work. Is this the case?

I also have no idea if I have Key 1 or 2 and the previous owner has no idea either.

If it is does anyone have any options?

It is a diesel and I have been led to believe the immobiliser is "easier" to work around but again not sure what that actually means.

Just to add thanks for a brilliant website which has made my P38 ownership/addiction far less painful.

Thanks in advance.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4,219 Posts
Re: Need a additional key but BECM is not the original. How do you get a new key

it depends on how the BECM was changed.

If it was done properly and your old BECM was cloned onto a new one, and all the locks etc are the same, then in theory you should just be able to order a new key for your vehicle as normal and it will work.

If the BECM has been changed for one from another vehicle, and not cloned, then you will need to try and find the VIN number of the BECM that was put into the vehicle, and order a key for that VIN number, so the remote lines up. If the BECM was changed, but the locks weren't then you will need to get the key blade cut to match your original key.

It may be possible to retrieve the VIN number with diagnostics off the BECM in the vehicle as it is electronically stored in there, and I would almost be willing to put money on the fact if the BECM has been swapped, but not cloned, then it probably wouldn't have had the VIN number updated.

Marty

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Need a additional key but BECM is not the original. How do you get a new key

Firstly sorry for delay but I hadn't setup the notification email.
Thank you for that information. I spoke to the previous owner about the BECM change and vague comes to mind. It appears that the BECM was changed but not the locks but he is unsure if it was cloned!!!!. He was also adament that if I got any P38 key it would work!!! So I am going to ignore anything he has said.
So from what you have said Marty I could go to an independant or Dealer and have the VIN on the BECM read. If it is the same as the car then marvelous and I can just order another key from the dealer.
The pessimist in me thinks it isn't cloned. If it is a different VIN then I am stuffed as I can't prove ownership of what is probably a scrapped P38 BECM?
I will speak to my local dealer and ask if they can read the VIN. If I tell them they will get a key sale perhaps they will be kind!!
Thanks for the information. I'll keep you posted.
Regards
Phil

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
52 Posts

What motor have you got Phil?

I can read GEMS and am just up the road in Northampton if that is of any use?

Dave.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts

Do you have any 'odometer error' messages, IF the instrument cluster wasn't changed along with it, would you not get that show up if it wasn't cloned? and if the instrument cluster has been changed and the BeCM wasn't cloned (depending on how recent and it's history) mileage discrepancies on mot's/hpi might be evident.

My key1 is dark grey where my key2 is black/er, though without a side by side comparison it's not going to be easy tell, but it is written on the back too if it's not obviously smudge out, which i guess it is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts