RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I for one would very much like to read Navtec's objections to discussing their firmware! See: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30696&p=257193#p257193

I can fully appreciate their request regarding the map discs to protect their interests but the firmware????? I can't see it!

This information on Mk4 firmware upgrades is readily available on many BMW forums and even approved parts suppliers so I trust Navtec will be in contact with all of them requesting the immediate removal of all related material.

I have learn't so much about the workings of my Range Rover thanks to this site and the many BMW forums that it would be a sad day if future owners were censored from such information!

Just my opinion and happy to be proved wrong.

Andy

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,719 Posts
You can discuss their firmware and software all you want. It is the discussions on cracking, changing and providing links to sharing their items that we do not allow on this site.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been trying to get VDO / Continental to update the V32 firmware with the Range Rover splash screen and have sent the following email to them. Please note that Navteq does not own the firmware, VDO created it for BMW. Please feel free to contact them as well and hopefully with enough support, they will respond. We'll also ask them to provide in writing, permission to post a link on this forum.

------------------------------

To: [email protected] ... ration.com
Subject: MKIV Nav Computer V32 Firmware update for Range Rover

Hello,

As a 2003 Range Rover owner, it has come to my attention that V32 firmware update for the MKIV Nav computer is available for BMW owners but not for Range Rover owners. The only difference is the Range Rover splash screen, so I would like to request that it be updated to show the Range Rover splash screen or provide us with permission to use the V32 firmware update with modified splash screen for Range Rover owners. Please let me know if that is possible.

Thanks

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great :lol: so that proves Navtec doesn't even own the firmware so where's the problem :evil: I don't see VDO or BMW getting all "huffy" about replacement splash screens for their vehicles fitted with the same Mk4 unit! So why Mr Deputy Moderator are you choosing to follow this stance :?:

Perhaps John could clarify the situation as I feel many RR owners will seek the information else where reducing the effectiveness of this site!

I am not a computer "hacker" or trying to profit from the information I have gathered from other sites. You wont find me listing this on eBay because ITS FREE from any BMW dealer :evil: You may have to pay for their time to carry out the upgrade on your Beemer but not for the firmware disc itself! As I have said previously this is no different to a service pack release from Microsoft.

Unfortunately after BMW sold Land Rover they left our 2002-2004 models with an out of date MK3 CD based navigation system with no firmware upgrade and installing the BMW Mk4 DVD based nav computer was and still is the most usefull upgrade I have carried out to my car :!: And having a Range Rover start up logo rather than a BMW one just finishes it off, as for the second colour scheme well thats just the standard mini green which is already on the disk, so I have hardly hacked the software! The two systems are so far apart I can only compare it to still using Window 3.1 on your PC :shock:

Again I am happy to be proved wrong but I believe at best the manufacturers would just say that any custom software installed on a MK4 unit would invalidate any guarantee which is fine as most RR onwners will be buying their Mk4's off eBay for a snip of the RRP :?

If the same stance was to be applied across the RR site topics such as removing the accept screen or TV on the move would also need to be banned :doh:

Sorry guys to rant on but this seems nonsense to me and please bare in mind, from a personal point of view I couldn't give a stuff is the subject and me for that matter was banned for life :!: I already have it :dance:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,719 Posts
Apparently you have missed the repeated stance of this site as outlined by the owner. It does not matter who owns software, firmware, printed materials etc. WE WILL NOT PROVIDE COPYRIGHTED MATERIALS IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM. This is not a Navtec choice. This is not a BMW choice. It definately isn't my choice. John Brabyn has made the decision and as the owner of the site we as guests on his site will adhere to his choice. End of topic until written permission can be provided directly to John for express use on this site. Once he has received such permission it will be he decision to host, allow direct links to a hosting site or to allow neither. If you do not care for his decision you are welcome to visit other sites to share materials.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
860 Posts
I for one applaud all of your hard work on the firmware modifications. I suggest you post it on a third party site like megaupload.com or any other similar site, then post the information on x5world as many "in the know" BMW version Range Rover owners also frequent that website to get navigation tips and tricks, like NavCoder, intravee infornation and such. Looking forward for then links.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that told me then :lol:

I would like to draw everyones attention to the following information regarding the BMW Mk4 nav computer upgrade hosted here on this site:

http://rangerovers.net/rrupgrades/nav/mkivcomputer.html :think:

As you will read there is a great deal of information relating to this subject so no need for me to "bleat" on about the merits of this upgrade. Interestingly though there are links to websites where you can download Mk4 firmware or even "buy" your Mk4 with "custom" Range Rover start up logo :naughty: Now again I am happy to be corrected but I doubt whether they have "written" permission to modify the Mk4 firmware and to then sell a modified unit on for a profit :shhh:

Don't get me wrong I have no issue with organisations providing a complete service for this upgrade as there will be many who wouldn't dream of trying to carry out any firmware upgrades or even the swap over itself! But it is very hypocritical of the moderators here to allow such links especially to commercial organisations who are profiting from this but not to allow individuals the freedom to choose to carry out this upgrade themselves.

Fortunately one of the links takes you a well renowned BMW forum where firmware can be downloaded along with information on different splash screens - I am sure this will soon include Range Rover very soon :thumb:

In the mean time, anyone requiring further asistance or instruction in this matter can PM me and I will try and help.

I guess the site owner John is on his summer holiday / vacation but I am sure he will clarify all of this in the very near future.

Regards to all,

Andy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If a lot of us ask for the update from the manufacture thay may do it.

here is their email link

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/w ... es_en.html

I just copied and pasted with my correct year

Thanks
Papo

As a 200X Range Rover owner, it has come to my attention that V32 firmware update for the MKIV Nav computer is available for BMW owners but not for Range Rover owners. The only difference is the Range Rover splash screen, so I would like to request that it be updated to show the Range Rover splash screen or provide us with permission to use the V32 firmware update with modified splash screen for Range Rover owners. Please let me know if that is possible.

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts