RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 40 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
the toyota system is a denso one? maybe if we ask nicely, the prius peeps will help us rrs folks w/ our nav hack.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Toyota / Lexus, Cadillac... During my searches I discovered this system is available in different flavors (interface, features) on many brands, even though the access codes are clearly implemented differently. From what I gathered by reading a Cadillac owners forum, the 1791 pin used to work on some 2004/5 Cadillacs to enable front monitor viewing of their rear DVD system. As I mentioned elsewhere, thank goodness those Japanese engineers at Denso lacked the imagination to come up with a new PIN for our cars, even though they implemented it to enable a different feature... The Lexus nav while driving hack is temporary - like the one on our Land Rovers - but the procedure to unlock that capability appears completely different (no code, you instead access a hidden menu by touching the screen in certain unmarked areas.)

The fact that after entering the newly found code our diag PIN entry screen "sticks around" makes me wonder if the system may be expecting an additional code after 1791? Also, have you noticed that pressing the upper left corner of the Navigation Menu - instead of the center - produces a beep after about 5 seconds or so? I have not figured out what that may indicate and/or enable, but that can't be a fluke.

Regarding the Prius thingie. You surely noticed how the nav system / on-board computer does not actually shut down right away when you remove the key from the ignition and the monitor goes dark. It takes at least a couple of minutes - perhaps a bit longer - for the system to actually reset to "original", unhacked status. Until that time has passed, if you restart the engine the monitor goes right back up to where you left it. No Land Rover logo, no nag screen, hack still in place... Perhaps someone has figured out a way to keep the system in the Prius from rebooting by playing with the wiring, maybe bypassing a relay switch, or something like that. If that harness does work, at $99 it would seem too cheap to do much else, and it's only offered for hybrid Highlanders and Priuses, both of which have some big-ass batteries... :D

Also, here is some interesting information for the computer geeks, from someone who actually analyzed the DVD included in Denso's nav system (in the Prius, but I suspect the one in our cars would have a very similar structure): http://ian.blenke.com/projects/densonav ... ohack.html
I had never heard of "Kiwi" applied to computers until I read this... :cry:

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Well I tried the same procedure on a couple of other Range Rovers and LR3's and they all worked just fine with no problems.

I have no Range Rover Sports in stock but I am sure it would work fine on those as well.

Thaks very much for the help Umbertob you have no idea how many times I have been on a test drive and some one has asked if you can use the nav while driving.

·
Registered
239 Posts
i could understand something very similar to the prius module working for us, i am unsure about a code making the gps's features work all the time though.

one thing that does come to mind would be any sort of "software upgrade" in the future that utilizes one of the rear video inputs, let's say for a reverse cam coupled with some sort of activation code as umbertob has provided.

what would help the most would be a disgruntled ex-denso employee on our forum.

·
Registered
121 Posts
awesome! now that this is no longer a problem it makes taking RRS on road trips alot easier! thanks alot umbertob!!!

someone mentioned that there is another PIN known, what is it and what does it do?

Andrew

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
PIN 753 (you enter it instead of 1791 from the diag PIN screen) allows you to view and troubleshoot different settings in the nav system. I assume this menu is for techs to access and analyze if there is a malfunction in the system, as there appears to be no settings that can be modified from those menus.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Uh, well, err, I'm not sure I understand what you are all getting so excited about. What does 'unlocking the nav system' mean and what will it do for me that it currently is not doing?

Please help me get rid of this stupid sinking feeling I'm experiencing.....[/i]

·
Registered
643 Posts
I posted this elsewhere:

"With this PIN code, you temporarily disable the safety lockouts of the Navigation system.

Many features of the Navigation system are disabled while moving for safety purposes. For example, you can't enter a new address via touchscreen keyboard. Some of the locked out features make sense... you really can't enter a full address by hand while driving safely, etc. But some of them are dumb.

The worst part of the lockout is if I have a passenger. They should be able to use the system fully. With this diag PIN code, they now can."

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Jeffrey, if you are not using the nav system, and/or if you always map your route before getting on the road, you don't need the hack. If you or your front passenger ever wished you could enter an address in the navigation system on the fly, while you are already on the way, you will want this hack to avoid having to stop on the side of the road or trying to beat the red light to punch it in before it turns green... It's only a time saver and a convenience, it won't make your car perform any better. :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hack works perfect, Umberto ! many many thanks :D !

..and I am based in Switzerland so it seems to be exactly the same NAV system for all markets worldwide.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Tried it on my wife's LR3, but it did not work. When I held the "Navigation" bar for 5 seconds it did not go to the pin code screen. Any advice or are early models not able to use this hack do you think?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I guess it's possible, but I would be surprised if they had not implemented the same access to the Diag PIN screen since day one. Try it again and push a bit harder, right on the "u" of Menu, it may take 6 or 7 seconds... Good luck.

·
Registered
643 Posts
The PIN entry system has been there since day one... it's even in the technical documentation that predates the release of LR3/Disco 3, along with the full diag menu PIN for both systems.

21 - 40 of 114 Posts
About this Discussion
113 Replies
43 Participants
umbertob
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing