RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2004 usa L322. It has mkiii navigation. The nav screen now says ""Loading of software required. Please insert a suitable CD-ROM."
I have gone to this site
http://www.neiloakley.com/
and this site
http://www.bimmernav.com/software.htm
and burned a variety of different software versions to cd and the unit rejects all of them with a message in german telling me to install a valid CD.

any thoughts on what I am doing wrong. conversely, any one live near Annapolis MD who has the cd's and/or some knowledge.

Thanks/

p.s. I was fooling around with INPA when this happened.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
I've also had the nav unit fail, and not allow it to take software. Even using the factory update discs.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
34 Posts
Methinks the laser may be damaged too now that you mention that.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Personally, I would suspect a memory, or cpu issue with it, as it shouldn't 'need' an update if it has been working, but if the computery portion of it failed, it could no longer have its software, and also wouldn't be able to take new software.

Either way, try it a few more times, and burn another disc or two. A few CD-Rs is much cheaper then a new unit.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just for kicks i also downloaded the one OS with the BMW logo and tried that and it loads. I burned using image burn to a CD-RW and it worked. As RoverGuy7 said it may be the unit itself. Well since my BMW logo worked i'm upgrading the Rover to MKIV and putting the rover nav in the BMW.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just for kicks i also downloaded the one OS with the BMW logo and tried that and it loads. I burned using image burn to a CD-RW and it worked. As RoverGuy7 said it may be the unit itself. Well since my BMW logo worked i'm upgrading the Rover to MKIV and putting the rover nav in the BMW.
I have tried burning every which way and nada. zip zilch. I am going to try a different brand cd-r and see if that has any effect.
If that does not work, I am going to seriously consider a chinese aftermarket unit. Thanks again all.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to close the loop on this, another member was kind enough to snail mail me a known working CD with the nav software on it. It did not work. Moral of the story, be careful when using INPA.

Second idea/question - has anyone here gone the Dynavin or other Chinese aftermarket nav route? I am having some difficulty finding good information in the situation where the vehicle came with factory navigation.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, To close the loop on this thread. I removed the factory navigation, the cd changer, and the bm53 radio. I replaced all of that with a Dynavin unit. I was very concerned that it would work since I could find no verification on any website for a USA spec model. The confusion was about the DSP interfering. Anyway, I am happy to report that it works perfectly. Plug and play from an electrical connection standpoint. Some minor mod needed to be made to the bracket that holds the unit in the dash, but no big deal. The hardest/most time consuming part was running the cables from the back of the car to the front (fakra cable and reverse camera). IMG_20130910_092958.jpg

Last: I sold the factory stuff on a famous auction site for near $400

link to dynavin: http://jandtdistributing.com/dynavi...on-units-and-accessories/bmw-e39-5-series-x5/

·
Registered
896 Posts
Verify nice.

How did you connect the radio antenna?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Do the steering on trolls still work as OEM?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Steering on trolls?? what the? Do the "steering controls" volume etc... still work?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Thanks couple more questions... Does te mapping software do all of NOrth America including (Canada) and does this allow you to keep the CD changer in the glove box? My wife likes that feature.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks couple more questions... Does te mapping software do all of NOrth America including (Canada) and does this allow you to keep the CD changer in the glove box? My wife likes that feature.
1. I am not sure, but I do not think it comes with Canada, but you can get it easy enough I imagine. https://www.naviextras.com/shop/portal
2. Regarding the cd changer....I seriously doubt it. But the unit has USB input and sd card input that can hold tons of music.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Major score. Good for you all in all i figure you got back most of what you spent for a major update.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just to update, I am having an engine whine noise (faint, but noticeable at low music volume) that I need to address. I am going to try a few things and will report back.

·
Registered
41 Posts
So this radio was total plug & play?

The oem nav in my 2004 doesn't even pick up all the addresses in New Orleans or Louisiana. I felt ashamed to tell my friend to grab her Garmin to help us navigate around

1 - 20 of 29 Posts