Range Rovers Forum banner

Navigation Questions

3K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  beowulf 
#1 ·
My navigation system just got put out of service from some water damge, i've sent it off, its irrepairable. So, I've got a few questions.

1. Can I use a later model navigation system with my current plugs (what i mean is replace my cd system with a dvd system, as long as the plugs match)
2. Can I use a BMW model of the CARIN system instead of strictly LR ones.
3. Is there a pin-out of the connectors so i could install a mini-itx computer and use the factory navi screen with the vga port.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Here is a few answers to your questions:

1. Dont know - This board has a great deal of good info on radio, etc. Here is a good place to start: http://rangerovers.net/newrremedies.htm#radiolcd

and search this forum.

2. Yes it is likely, but the firmware in the BMW dose not provide for the off-road features. If you never had this feature w the Landrover version, you would not care. Some people swear by the BMW version as there are more updates available. Careful there are I believe three different versions of the BMW depending upon the age.
3. The RAVE manual will have pinouts. You will need some add'l bits to use VGA on the NAV screen - it is an RGB unit.

Regards,
Phil

#10 ·
Would anybody know where i can get the lost images? This info is exactly what I'm looking for!

I'd like to reuse the lcd navigatin display for another project while not cutting up my center console. Does anybody remember the youtube video of Jurassic Park playing on the nav screen?

Downloading the rave.zip file now so maybe that will get me there but pictures would be nice still.

#12 ·
Well I definitely learned a thing or two about how to read wiring diagrams and about the nav system in particular. Here's some screenshots of the relevant diagrams and connector pinouts. Interesting to note that the Bosch era P38 incorporates the BMW I-Bus and K-Bus protocols, so it's possible BMW E39 stereo knowledge could be relevant here. I found a cool project where an E39 cd-changer was swapped for a small computer. The computer 'speaks' i-bus just like a cd-changer but sends mp3 music and the stereo doesn't know the difference.

My next step will be to detach the nav computer's connection to the display and then attempt sending a vga signal of my own.

Note that pin-6 is shown as used on the pin-out diagram but the wiring connector shows it unused. Would appreciate input.

Attachments

#13 ·
It's pin 6 on C0820 that isn't used, not on C0993. I assume the two lower pinouts are from a BMW diagram but C0993 corresponds with C815 and is the video feed, while C0820 corresponds with the 6 way AMP connector which is the power and illumination feeds. Video from an external source needs to be applied to C0993 and is RGB and not VGA. RGB is a standard analogue video format, usually found on older video equipment with three Phono (RCA) plugs but in addition to the 3 colours, it also requires a sync signal. From the diagram above, the system uses Sync on Green (SoG), so you would need to find a source that supplies this (see Component video - Wikipedia) but VGA doesn't as, in addition to the three colours it requires 2 sync signals for H and V sync.

#14 ·
Hey thank you for the response, that really helps. Cross referencing the Electrical manual's circuit diagrams to the wiring connectors to the workshop manual's pinouts was getting me a bit cross-eyed there.

All the screenshots were taken from the Navigation System section of the RR Workshop Manual that's part of RAVE. Section 87 if that helps. You wouldn't know what the 18 way MQL and 18 way MQL - Blue pinouts refer to would you? They aren't labeled.

Text Line Font Parallel
Text Line Font Document Parallel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.