RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had this issue with other cars/trucks, but I've noticed that when I park my RRS in parking garages in NYC and they are underground the navigation is messed up for a few minutes. Today I parked it on 36th st and when I got it back, the nav said I was on 34th and as I drove it showed me being on top of buildings. I shut the car off and opened the door a few times and it eventually came back to normal. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Happens to me all the time, also, the NAV map shows the car driving at odd angles until it gets a GPS signal.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
David is dead on. Any time signal from all satellites is lost you are going to have less than accurate location and directional info. Remember that you must have clear signal from a minimum of 3 GPS satellites for an accurate reading. There are satellite position applications you can down load for you phone. For instance right now there are 24 satellites over my location 6 are GPS with 5 providing a clear signal.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
OK, thanks. Is there some way to turn off the satellite before I park so this doesn't happen? Sometimes I get my car and need to go somewhere else right away and have to use the nav. Or, would turning the satellite off (if possible) force the satellite to re-engage which would take as long to re-calibrate after it loses signal?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
errr, no. It is a non issue. The satellites transmit 24 hours a day. If signal is blocked you simply have to be back out in the open for the signals to be gained. It only takes 30 -60 seconds to get a lock on 3 or more satellites for an accurate position and enough tracking for direction being traveled. You'll have the same issue when you go through any of the tunnels

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it's not a non-issue because it is an issue. And it doesn't take 30-60 seconds to lock onto a new satellite. It's taken me at least 8-10 min, in NYC.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
Well you left out taking up to 12 minutes to gain signal. Is that in stop and go traffic?

Seattle is no different than New York. When you park under ground, you have no signal. When I leave the Columbia Tower heading south it is almost instant because of the lack of tall buildings. If I have to go north it takes two or three blocks due to building density.

Take the time to get to understand how GPS works and you will then realize that you need to have clear signal when you begin a leg of a trip. Once you have clear signal you are good to go. ALL available satellites at one location are all read by your GPS. GPS systems use the strongest signal for the most accurate fix and if one those is blocked by a building the next stronger one takes it's place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts