RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do i need to get to make my hse have the original navigation system. i want it because i am trying to get as much wood interior as possible and keep it original

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,674 Posts
You need the display, disc drive in the rear gps receiver under the wiper cowling and all the wiring harnesses. RAVE will have a diagram of the system.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You should keep this updated, I was just thinking the same thing the other day and a Rover with nav is about to hit the picking yard soon

·
Registered
739 Posts
You can put the wood in, but personally I’d stick a later system in, the LR sat nav is cd driven and not that good, I understand keeping the car original, but some things need updating !

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,119 Posts
"Not that good"? It's complete garbage, same as the early MkIII.
My '98 had the complete wood deal inside, and didnt have navigation. It had the cup holders instead, which I found to be mch more useful than the factory nav system

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,674 Posts
Both of my Granites came with the same cup holders... but banded in wood. I rarely used them for drinks but they were great for change and the remote for Sirius.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,119 Posts
Both of my Granites came with the same cup holders... but banded in wood. I rarely used them for drinks but they were great for change and the remote for Sirius.
Only a thousand times more useful than the OEM navigation!

·
Registered
72 Posts
You can put the wood in, but personally I’d stick a later system in, the LR sat nav is cd driven and not that good, I understand keeping the car original, but some things need updating !
I just picked up another P38, it has the onboard NAV system. Supposedly all thats wrong is the screen in the dash stopped working (and there are no CDs) Sounds like people are saying that its not worth my time & money to fix this, and instead I should find some aftermarket GPS system?

·
Registered
872 Posts
My opinion only but a NAV system is the worst option on any car. I have not seen a system as good as what's on a decent smart phone. My favorite use of the stupid ash tray is to hold my phone while driving.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,674 Posts
LMAO... I keep Ice Breakers in my ash trays.

·
Registered
72 Posts
True on the phone.

I found a post by someone that is using the OEM nav screen with a back up camera. wanted to give that a try.
But if the stock NAV is crap, maybe I should just find a screen thats the correct size for the camera. I actually run two cams - one in the back, and the 2nd looks are the winch.

·
Banned
8 Posts
I wouldn't go down that rabbit hole--plenty of backup bluetooth cameras that work well with smartphone. I went with the 4.0 & non-nav as owning a '00 M5, with same MK system + DSP.....lets just say 18 y.o. Nav/stereo/screen technology is a PITA to try & make current & I've found the less I can make go wrong with a P38, the better. Enough goes wrong daily as is....

·
Registered
72 Posts
I wouldn't go down that rabbit hole--plenty of backup bluetooth cameras that work well with smartphone. I went with the 4.0 & non-nav as owning a '00 M5, with same MK system + DSP.....lets just say 18 y.o. Nav/stereo/screen technology is a PITA to try & make current & I've found the less I can make go wrong with a P38, the better. Enough goes wrong daily as is....
Thank you. I have cams and screens that I use with my truck and rv trailer. One of the 7" screens looks like it will fit perfectly in the stock spot. Uses wi-fi cams :)

Sounds like I should just remove all the Nav stuff and toss on ebay.

·
Banned
8 Posts
There is also another option--you can buy one of those $110 Audo Vox rearview mirrors on ebay + a $20 camera and hard-wire it in--there is a thread somewhere on the board with diagrams showing how. It has the rearview camera screen embedded in the mirror. I'm considering this option as my rear mirror is toast, and repair is $130....since I have a headliner repair coming up, I might go this route, especially for trailering as the rear camera is REALLY helpful for lining up the hitch.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Hmmmmmm......Like those who think of springs as Castration of the RR.......There are some who like the slightly quirky LR nav unit (I include myself here:dance:), So LHT, and TH, You can keep yer cup holders and minties dispensers, I like James!
HA!

Edit: Ok, Fine! seriously quirky, to the point of dementia.....Just saying........

1 - 16 of 16 Posts