RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone upgraded from the 2006/7 nav disc to the newest 2010 one? If so, any cool new features that you have seen which would make it worth while to upgrade?

Thanks.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I did. The map updates alone made it worth while for me...

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool..thanks b_arra!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Do the maps look brighter in color like the MY2010? or do they look the same as MY2006? besides the updates in maps and places to eat
is there anything special about the updates? :cry:

·
Registered
225 Posts
I don't think there is anything besides the roads... Maybe some other small thing...

Do you guys ever notice that when you don't have an address programmed in and you are just using the GPS to see street names coming up, you can't always see the street name you are approaching? I can when I use my wife's cheap Garmin in her car, but I can't in my $200 map upgrade for my RRS? Maybe I am missing something?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Yeah, that's annoying. It's the same story on earlier disc versions. Blowing up the maps to maximum zoom (1/32nd of a mile) rarely helps. :evil: Otherwise, the only way to tell the name of a certain upcoming a street name is to "touch" it on the scrolling map (no easy feat when you are driving...), then you can usually see the street name displayed on the monitor.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
I think the only place is the dealer. I read somewhere on this forum that the Lexus and LR nav is made by the same company, and interesting thing is I bought a 09 update for by brother's Lexus and its the same cost of $199 for the DVD update.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ok so I just placed my order for the updated cd. I'm still a bit unsure on how to swap out the cd's. I know it's located under the drivers seat...

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Although the owner's manual tells you to access the navigation DVD from the front of the driver seat, to me it's easier if you move the seat all the way up and forward and then reach the DVD player from the rear. You will have to "feel" your way to the unlock switch, eject button and loading slot (see below) since you won't be facing the front of the player, but it's still way easier than squeezing your fingers through all those wires and plates in front.

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
I just upgraded my 2007 RRS Factory Nav disc to 2011 - 2012 Nav disc. Cost was $199.00USD plus Shipping for the disc itself. Get it from here: http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-LandRoverNorthAmerica-Site/en_US/-/USD/Default-Start;pgid=CY5U23kuifxSR08FAs5FZ0TX0000AK0RlkKw;sid=l9Yu0NsBb_Ys0JTQhrBq2NELJdjcqjkwHvHM4VIm?

I
nstallation is simple:
0) Start your vehicle and leave it running through the entire process
1) Save your driver's seat position to memory if you already haven't (see your vehicle manual on how to do this).
2) Move the front of the seat all the way up (it will only go up about an inch or two)
3) Move the entire drivers seat all the way forward
4) Look underneath the front of the seat and you will see a bunch of wires and a DVD player
5) Change the lock switch on the right hand side of the DVD drive (when facing it) to the unlocked position
6) Push the eject button on the left hand side of the DVD drive (when facing it) to eject the old DVD disc
7) Remove the old DVD Disc just as you would any other slot load DVD disc
8 ) Insert the new DVD disc, label side up, just as you would any other slot load DVD disc. The player will grab the disc when it is part way inserted and draw the disc in, DO NOT FORCE THE DISC IN. If the disc doesn't go in smoothly you either A) Haven't removed the old disc or B) You have a disc player issue or C) Your vehicle isn't running.
9) Once the new disc is in the player change the lock switch on the right hand side of the DVD drive (when facing it) back to the locked position
10) Return your drivers seat to its original position by pressing the appropriate memory button (1, 2, or 3) that you saved its position to in step 1.
11) On your NAV screen you will see a message something like "Please wait while the data is loading" and a green line. This will take a couple of minutes to complete. DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR VEHICLE OR TOUCH THE NAV BUTTONS while this screen is showing.
12) Once the message from step 11 disappears and the map screen shows the "Don't enter data while driving" message press agree and your new maps should appear
13) All Done

See the attached pictures for what you should see when looking under the front of the drivers seat and what the 2011 - 2012 maps look like on a 2007 RRS.

Works like a charm.

Wayne

Attachments

·
Banned
531 Posts
it is worth it for the firmware update alone, but also for the update in roads/locations etc. purchase directly from navigation.com / navteq and it's pretty simple. as umbertob said it's easiest to go in from behind the rom instead of the front.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Just remember that, if you have a MY06 with original 2005/6 disc and upgrade to a later edition map, you will lose the on-the-move "hack" that allows you to input a destination while driving.

·
Registered
263 Posts
it is worth it for the firmware update alone, but also for the update in roads/locations etc. purchase directly from navigation.com / navteq and it's pretty simple. as umbertob said it's easiest to go in from behind the rom instead of the front.
In my case I have to disagree with going in from behind the drivers seat. Once I elevated the front of the seat, and then moved it all the way forward I had tons of room to work. The wires in front of the ROM move out of the way as the seat goes forward, and even the plastic fascia on the front of the drivers seat posed no issues. The longest part of the disc swap process was the time it took to move the seat.
The pics I posted were what it looked like after moving the seat, I did not move any wires out of the way or otherwise make space.
I have a 2007 so new models may have different stuff in front of the rom than mine, but one way or another this is a simple upgrade, no dealer needed!

Wayne

·
Registered
263 Posts
One other thing I noticed after updating to the 2011 - 2012 maps, when I turned my music on which is from my IPhone 4S and a cable from the AUX jack to the headphone jack on the phone, the volume was much louder than prior to the update.
I did not change the IPhone volume or the head volume prior to turning the music on, but I did have to turn the head volume down from 20 to 17 to get it back to the same listening level.

Possibility the new maps have updated firmware that changed/corrected the volume output from the AUX jack behind the console?

Not sure it makes any sense, but it happened :p

Wayne

·
Registered
1 Posts
This thread is helpful, thanks, and why I joined the forum this morning. We bought a 2008 RR Sport HSE and two primary annoying nav issues, which I've seen discussed. First is having to press "I Agree" every time you start, and then the disable of nav while driving. Bummer that is appears neither has a workaround, thanks goodness for smartphones. Thanks for all the info on the nav upgrade, will be doing that shortly.

·
Premium Member
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
134 Posts
Welcome...!

This thread is helpful, thanks, and why I joined the forum this morning. We bought a 2008 RR Sport HSE and two primary annoying nav issues, which I've seen discussed. First is having to press "I Agree" every time you start, and then the disable of nav while driving. Bummer that is appears neither has a workaround, thanks goodness for smartphones. Thanks for all the info on the nav upgrade, will be doing that shortly.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts