Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get my BeCM resynced and preferably all of the applicable security turned off without going to a dealership. Anyone in the area have one of these? I'd rather toss some dollars to a newfound friend than the idiots that poorly designed this system in the first place.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,253 Posts
Re: Nanocom, Faultmate, or Sync-Mate in Greater Cincinnati area?

Wow.
The idiots that designed that were so far ahead of the norm, it isn't funny.
Neither is the (in)ability to turn off all the applicable security, as you put it.
Most never have an issue, but when they dovit's normally due to something the owner did, like disconnecting the battery repeatedly etc.

Martin

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I understand you have a passion for the car, but a car that goes in to full meltdown from a removed battery isn't the best design. There is such a thing as over engineering. All I want is a 4x4 that I can put a key in and it will work in the winter and can have the battery sit on a trickle through the summer unless I have a need for it. I have come to find out, that is not what I've purchased.

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts

P38s do not have a "full meltdown from a removed battery". Under normal circumstances the worst thing that happens from disconnecting a battery is possible loss of radio station presets and the need to reset the windows and sunroof. On rare occasions you have to resync a remote. As we have absolutely no clue what your issues are, what lead to your issues or what you have done we are unable to even begin to assist you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I have a different post regarding my issues, the next step in the process is to plug it in to one of these items and see if it can be resynced, take out the RF unit and then go from there, and get a sync -mate for assurance.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,253 Posts

I would bet that a synchmate will do nothing for you. After working on both our own and others rigs, I have yet to have to resynch an engine ECM to the Becm. I have however had instances where the Becm needed to be removed and sent off to be unlocked and sorted out.
In your other thread, the battery was repeatedly run down, which is the same as removing etc pretty much.
As far as your other claim, go look at ANY luxury European brand of car/SUV, and you will find the same cutting edge technology that the P38's have, or had back in the. This applies to the general systems on the vehicle AND the security system. If you want something basic with 4wd, and dont want to learn how all this stuff works etc, then all I can suggest is trading it off for a stripped down 1970's Bronco, Scout, etc. As all this will do is drive you nuts. Like the aforementioned luxury European vehicles, you get out of them what you put in, be it throwing money at a shop, or time to learn and work on it yourself.
Just my .02 from many years of ownership and wrenching on them.

Martin

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I've had a Cooper that, aside from issues related to driving the piss out of it, never gave me issues. I wrenched it all the way up to putting a new transmission in to it. My current other car is a Boxster S that sat most of the winter with little issue other than having to replace an already weak battery in the Spring. It hibernates after a week of inactivity and requires a key to open after that. My only complaint on that car is the hassle of working on a MR car, but when driving it; that goes away instantly. My frustration stems from there is no other reason for this car to not run, just a stray RF signal throwing it into the fritz. Now I'm looking at least 250 to get an otherwise perfectly functional car running; with no guarantee I'm not looking at the same problem a week down the road.

All of this thread jacking aside, any Cincinnatians? I know there was a guy that worked at the Newport Autozone that was very familiar with them, but doesn't seem to work with Autozone any longer.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,253 Posts

Thread jacking? That's funny....
By all means go buy a synchmate, and waste the money.
I would be VERY surprise if that was it.
I doubt, being a new member etc, that anyone is going to lend you tools that cost a substantial amount of money. I have been asked to loan out my TekPro etc, and refused right away for very obvious reasons. If I dont know you, why would I lend you hundreds or thousands of dollars worth it diagnostic equipment? I wont, and neither will most others here.
You've been given the most probable answer, up to you if you take the advise or keep asking to borrow a tool that will probably not work, and then complaining about the rig not running still......

Martin

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts

Thread jacking? Seriously guy, you are dealing with a known issue that has an easy root fix. You have taken a tiny little bit of info and run with it wearing blinders. I would caution at letting your frustration get the best of you. Best of luck

·
Registered
86 Posts

These are the people that can help you. Not some dude from Autozone. Seriously take it down a notch and listen. These folks know there stuff.

Kevin

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

To close this, I took the car to the dealer with a AAA tow and for $100 they reset the computer. On the drive home my door locks started going crazy within a quarter mile of my home. Once I got home, I unplugged the RF unit and the problem seems to be solved at this time. The doors no longer have a mind of their own and the battery isn't weak after a day of inactivity. I do appreciate the attempt to bully me in to a $250 service (plus shipping) that I didn't need though. That being said, this is otherwise a good community with a wealth of information that has assisted me in fixing several other issues with a car that wasn't cared for as well by previous owners as one could hope for. So thank you to all of those people.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,253 Posts

Bully you?
Lordy I hope you need no other kind of help, as there are a few that wont bother next time......
Do the rig a favor and sell it, please.
Martin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts