RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Not too serious. When I filled the transmission WHILE WARM AND ENGINE RUNNING, it took another 1-1.5 quarts. But it still makes this whine. I am planning to put 75w140 synthetic into both diffs, and Dextron III into the transfer case just to try to rule those things out.

Bonus question. I'm also confused about cooling system not releasing pressure overnight. Last time I wanted to check coolant level, I opened the reservoir COLD, some pressure was released and then the reservior FILLED. I thought that was weird.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Even with headphones, all I can hear is something rattling in the car, no transmission whine. Gearbox should be filled cold and I found that synthetic oil in the diffs made them noisier, they where designed for standard 75W-90 so fill them with that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for looking. It is challenging to record, but there is a "singing" / woooooo sound from some gears in the vehicle. I thought someone may recognize it. The full(er) fluid made it shift better. My understanding is the fluid should be measured at operating temperature. But nobody told me it should be running. A BMW youtube repair video suggested this to fix a whine in the 5 speed late 1990s ZF transmission.

·
Registered
46 Posts
P38 with ZF = fluid level checked cold. Start the engine, cycle the gears from P to 1 and back to P and with the engine still running dip the fluid. If you do it hot, the fluid will have expanded considerably and you will, in effect, have a low fluid level.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
P38 with ZF = fluid level checked cold. Start the engine, cycle the gears from P to 1 and back to P and with the engine still running dip the fluid. If you do it hot, the fluid will have expanded considerably and you will, in effect, have a low fluid level.
"If you do it hot, the fluid will have expanded considerably..."

May I ask if you have done this before? I have done it three times now. When cold, fluid gushes out. Warm, it takes at least 1-2 more quarts of fluid, because the torque converter is spinning and drawing up fluid. It it crucial whether (or not) the motor is supposed to be running. All sources say level should be checked warm, but they do not specify running or not. That matters. For me, it shifts better if I fill up to the running fluid level.

I also changed the both diffs (75W90 gear oil) and transfer case (Dextron III) for good measure. Those had no effect on whine. It seems that when I first drain & filled, I contaminated the fluid with particles from the driveway, causing the whine. I also under-filled it, causing less than perfect shift. Now, with 1 or 2 more quarts, perfect shifting returned, but the whine is still present. I guess I will just tolerate it until a full transmission rebuild (if it remains stable, I may just use the RR as an errand car for the next 10 years - with luck!)

·
Registered
838 Posts
Dtyone is dead on with his description of the procedure. I think Jurssen is associating Dtoyne's hot/cold description with engine running/not running. However, that's not what Dtoyne is saying. ATF fluid does expand considerably when heated, so it is important to do the filling, right after a cold start, prior to the fluid reaching operating temperature. RAVE does call out explicitly these steps. In fact, this type of a call out is considerably common now with a newer car. For example, my other car, with a ZF 8 speed trans calls for filling procedure to be completed right after the trans fluid reaches 90F, only leaving a short window to complete the filling process.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts