Range Rovers Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Range Rover HSE
150 Posts
Look up J. White's Automotive in Framingham and Cityside Garage in Holliston. Both are reputable shops. If the distance of no issue for you,
J E Robison Service in Springfield is also well-known in the community.
Thank you for the suggestions--I spoke to John Robison this AM and he seems the guru though he's 2 hours away and not cheap, but I understand why and he explained his approach to me...I'm planning to keep this thing forever so I don't mind paying but will consult the other shops as well. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3 Posts
Massachusetts. I am worried about finding a shop that really knows how to do it properly
Hi i just saw a post on you tube by ChronCrew you may want to look at it ,says that he charges $2000 flat rate and is located in Pennsylvania near Gettysburg. Search on YouTube: Land Rover jaguar lr4 5.0l timing chain noise repair / tensioner replacement the easy way. Please note, I do not know nor have i had any work done by him so can't give any advise

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
428 Posts
Thank you for the suggestions--I spoke to John Robison this AM and he seems the guru though he's 2 hours away and not cheap, but I understand why and he explained his approach to me...I'm planning to keep this thing forever so I don't mind paying but will consult the other shops as well. Much appreciated!
John has been fixing these for ages. I would highly recommend him if you can afford it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have searched this forum end to end regarding the infamous timing chain guide issues, and I gather that no matter what, the 2010 - 2012 5.0 will at one point need to have the timing chain guides and timing chains replaced, or risk utter engine destruction.

As such, when looking for a used 2010 - 2012 it would make sense to factor this job in to the purchase price, in the event it had never been done.

However, after speaking to service technicians at multiple Land Rover dealerships I have been getting a pretty consistent response which implies "It is the luck of the draw". Citing numerous examples of well maintained 5.0's with over 100K miles that have never had the guides replaced and do not demonstrate any of the symptoms of a loose chain.

I found a very clean well maintained 2010 supercharged 5.0 for $25K with 75K miles. I looked through the Carfax and called up the dealership where it was maintained and I found out that the previous owner brought it in for a "loud rattling noise" and sure enough they diagnosed it as needing new timing chains/guides and quoted him $8K to do the job.

The service technician explained that the previous owner meticulously maintained the truck in every other way and always took care of any needed service right away (I assume the $8K put him over the edge, so he ultimately traded it in for a 2013+ and it went to auction where it was subsequently bought by another small independent dealership currently selling it).

As such, I figured all in at $33K ($25K purchase price+ $8K timing chains/guides) would be a pretty good entry price and would leave me somewhat worry free from catastrophic engine failure risk. However, he told me that since it is making the rattle to RUN. I explained $33K would actually not be too bad considering, however he was of the opinion that it would be more prudent to go with a more expensive one without the rattle, lets say $33K for the same truck with a bit less mileage but without the rattle.

I could not understand the logic since the rattle could start at anytime and then I would need to spend another $8K bringing the all in price up to $41K instead. However, he seems to think there are good ones and bad ones, and if you have a 2010- 2012 in 2017 with decent mileage that is not rattling, it most likely won't and therefore you are better off continuing to search for a "good" one.

I also got the impression that he was of the opinion that a "bad" one even after getting the job performed is still worse off than a "good" one that never had the job performed.

Are there any 5.0 owners out there which have never had the rattle? If so, what is your current mileage?

Is there any disadvantage to getting this job done which would somehow make the engine more likely to fail in the future? I read on here that someone got the job done and then 30K miles later the engine blew.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Hello and greetings from Big sky country in Montana! I have a 2011 full size range Rover with the 5.0 l non-supercharged. I currently have 111,000 miles on it. From the beginning of my ownership I ignored their recommendation to extend oil changes to over 10,000 miles. I have stuck to the American schedule and changed my oil every 5,000 miles with few exceptions. I have had no problems with timing chain rattle at all. My Rover runs smooth as butter and it's just as quiet as it was the day I bought it. Cross my fingers I hope my diligent maintenance is going to keep paying off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2011 with 100K change oil every 5-6K no issues with original chain. My mechanic thinks avoiding longer oil interval changes is a factor.
Also have a 2011 SC with 75k, regular oil changes ~ 6k miles. No rattles just yet, touch wood. I did start to have a strange issue where the dash will reset every so often - but I'd take electrical gremlins over mechanical!

·
Registered
334 Posts
The dash is like a mini-laptop. Check if there is a fan fault. Might be overheating, power or motherboard /display issue.
2010 70K 2011 80K no timing chain issues.
I think the stator issue in the transmissions is worse, for city-used anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have searched this forum end to end regarding the infamous timing chain guide issues, and I gather that no matter what, the 2010 - 2012 5.0 will at one point need to have the timing chain guides and timing chains replaced, or risk utter engine destruction.

As such, when looking for a used 2010 - 2012 it would make sense to factor this job in to the purchase price, in the event it had never been done.

However, after speaking to service technicians at multiple Land Rover dealerships I have been getting a pretty consistent response which implies "It is the luck of the draw". Citing numerous examples of well maintained 5.0's with over 100K miles that have never had the guides replaced and do not demonstrate any of the symptoms of a loose chain.

I found a very clean well maintained 2010 supercharged 5.0 for $25K with 75K miles. I looked through the Carfax and called up the dealership where it was maintained and I found out that the previous owner brought it in for a "loud rattling noise" and sure enough they diagnosed it as needing new timing chains/guides and quoted him $8K to do the job.

The service technician explained that the previous owner meticulously maintained the truck in every other way and always took care of any needed service right away (I assume the $8K put him over the edge, so he ultimately traded it in for a 2013+ and it went to auction where it was subsequently bought by another small independent dealership currently selling it).

As such, I figured all in at $33K ($25K purchase price+ $8K timing chains/guides) would be a pretty good entry price and would leave me somewhat worry free from catastrophic engine failure risk. However, he told me that since it is making the rattle to RUN. I explained $33K would actually not be too bad considering, however he was of the opinion that it would be more prudent to go with a more expensive one without the rattle, lets say $33K for the same truck with a bit less mileage but without the rattle.

I could not understand the logic since the rattle could start at anytime and then I would need to spend another $8K bringing the all in price up to $41K instead. However, he seems to think there are good ones and bad ones, and if you have a 2010- 2012 in 2017 with decent mileage that is not rattling, it most likely won't and therefore you are better off continuing to search for a "good" one.

I also got the impression that he was of the opinion that a "bad" one even after getting the job performed is still worse off than a "good" one that never had the job performed.

Are there any 5.0 owners out there which have never had the rattle? If so, what is your current mileage?

Is there any disadvantage to getting this job done which would somehow make the engine more likely to fail in the future? I read on here that someone got the job done and then 30K miles later the engine blew.

Any insight would be appreciated.
I have a 2011 Full size Range Rover 5 0 non- supercharged with 113000 miles. No rattles, no timing chain issues. I do change my oil every 4 to 5k Mike's and have done it had 49k miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The dash is like a mini-laptop. Check if there is a fan fault. Might be overheating, power or motherboard /display issue.
2010 70K 2011 80K no timing chain issues.
I think the stator issue in the transmissions is worse, for city-used anyway.
Thought I would add this for those browsing, just in case it helps someone. I did track my dashboard reset to a loose battery terminal. My thought is that it was losing the connection while parked during the night and connecting back up so by the time I got to it the next morning it seemed fine except everything was reset. Happened maybe twice a month for the past 6 months. Fixed!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Good point on the battery as our 04 clamp did not fully tighten on the replacement battery post so starting it would be enough to cause an arc that would connect the battery for a while. Everyone with an older rig should check their battery cable clamps.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts