Range Rovers Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
501 Posts
The primary problem isn't with the chain(s) - timing chains can typically be reused.

The problem manifest itself within one or both of the chain TENSIONERS, which are oil pressure reliant.

Extended manufacturer recommended oil service intervals, with the resulting "residue" often found within VVT's etc, is what appears to shorten the expected service life of such components.

Rob

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
I guess noise comes from supercharger, not chains... Have you replaced supercharger nose\tail?
They are 2 different but similiar noises.

I bought a MY12 SC AB with 65k miles a few months ago and immediately did the supercharger coupler as that creates a knocking sound at idle. I used a new factory SC and the zz green coupler upgrade for eaton SCs.

I don't yet have the chains issue (my vin is in the TSB) but i expect to do it in the next few years when it comes up.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I used a new factory SC and the zz green coupler upgrade for eaton SCs.
Did I understand this correctly? Did you use a brand new OEM supercharger assembly and swapped the coupler to an upgraded one?

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Did I understand this correctly? Did you use a brand new OEM supercharger assembly and swapped the coupler to an upgraded one?
Yes. The solid green eaton composite coupler is a far superior design to the spring detention design OEM coupler. Learned that here ? and corroborated by several supercharger people.

I managed to get a brand new snout from Lucky8 for really cheap, price went up immediately after buying by several hundred dollars.

My snout bearings were fine but my friends are all either current or ex JLR techs and the concern of the bearings blowing down the road and having to do the job a 2nd time reassured me the whole new (or rebuilt) snout was the best way to go.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yes. The solid green eaton composite coupler is a far superior design to the spring detention design OEM coupler. Learned that here ? and corroborated by several supercharger people.

I managed to get a brand new snout from Lucky8 for really cheap, price went up immediately after buying by several hundred dollars.

My snout bearings were fine but my friends are all either current or ex JLR techs and the concern of the bearings blowing down the road and having to do the job a 2nd time reassured me the whole new (or rebuilt) snout was the best way to go.
Gotcha. I'll have to check out Lucky 8, first time I hear about them.

I was also thinking of doing the same thing, but getting a spare supercharger, replacing bearings and coupler and just swapping the whole unit when I do the timing chains. I'm pretty familiar with the Eatons myself. My thunderbirds use the eaton m90 and the coupler was a must if you were servicing the unit. Never heard of the bearings just going though...they would get noisy, but never heard of them just blowing out. Then again, different design than the jag units so everything is possible.

Reactions: datafoo

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Gotcha. I'll have to check out Lucky 8, first time I hear about them.

Snipped.

Never heard of the bearings just going though...they would get noisy, but never heard of them just blowing out. Then again, different design than the jag units so everything is possible.
My understanding is Lucky8 is more known in the discovery world than ours. I had bought on ebay a rebuilt snout which arrived damaged. For $50 more (appx $500) lucky8 had a BIN. Right after they raised the price to $700+.

There are a few diagnosis videos which discuss the sound and feeling difference between a bad coupler and bad bearings. It seemed to me that either is common but that's just my opinion.

Specifically tho Newport Beach LR had recently done just a coupler and within 5k miles the customer returned with blown snout bearings and the tech was pissed. It sounds like you've done these or similiar, and like timing chains it's definately not one of their favorite jobs to do :-(

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
you can hear the chain flapping around and the check engine light comes on...it wont sneak up on you and surprise you
135k on my 2012. 3rd owner. (First owner was a commercial purchase, owned 5y ... Second owner was an individual, owned 2y)

No mention of it on my CARFAX, but they've missed items before. My ABS pump replacement simply showed up as "bleed brake system" :LOL:

100% dealer maintenance (except for 2 sets of tires, which I COMPLETELY understand) at the time I purchased. I opted to go with an independent shop in town and stuck with them. They seem to be reporting, too, for the most part (see above).

Used cars, sales and service, they sell nothing but used Land Rovers. Brought it in for two major fixes thus far when "it could be anything" and they nailed it on the first try for each.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322, 2013 LR4 HSE Lux, 2019 RR L405 Autobiography LWB
50 Posts
We have two 5L V8 LR's at home; 2011 RR HSE Lux and 2013 LR4 HSE. The RR is somewhere in mid 90's on clock, my son's LR4 is >115k mi. Both are 1-owner vehicles, we have serviced regularly. I would say the only deviation from LR service spec is that we have used the later 0W-20 JLR.5122 oil spec since it was introduced in late 2013, changing oil every 7500, normal scheduled service every 15k. Neither engine has exhibited any cam chain chatter. I have several friends around here w/5L JLR vehicles, none have had cam chain issues. Not saying its a myth, just product of typical internet forums that turn mole hills into mountains.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
We have two 5L V8 LR's at home; 2011 RR HSE Lux and 2013 LR4 HSE. The RR is somewhere in mid 90's on clock, my son's LR4 is >115k mi. Both are 1-owner vehicles, we have serviced regularly. I would say the only deviation from LR service spec is that we have used the later 0W-20 JLR.5122 oil spec since it was introduced in late 2013, changing oil every 7500, normal scheduled service every 15k. Neither engine has exhibited any cam chain chatter. I have several friends around here w/5L JLR vehicles, none have had cam chain issues. Not saying its a myth, just product of typical internet forums that turn mole hills into mountains.
It’s a self selecting group. People coming forward with something to say, to tell their story. People without those problem have a stronger tendency to stay silent.

If I believed the issue with 1st gen Durango’s dying just outside of warranty due to oil pump failures was as bad as the internet made it out to be, I’d not have purchased one. 282,000 miles and still chugging along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
130 Posts

Curious as to why you replaced the supercharger itself rather than only the coupler? Recommended through your research? I may do mine but just starting to dig in on the job.

·
Registered
2012 Range Rover HSE
150 Posts
I know I'm bumping an old thread, but thought I would add a relevant data point. I have put about 1,200 miles on my new to me 2012 that was purchased new from my Mother and driven in suburban Atlanta, taken in for every service and oil changed according to 'when the computer told her to' which checks out on the records. All were before 15K miles, as the truck did not get a ton of mileage over the course of her ownership, though it was her only car. Build date March 2012.

It has the timing chain chatter. Not always but I'd say about 50% of the time and usually when cold, though it will also exhibit it at hot startup at times...At 55K miles. Driven by a woman who bought it at age 63 in late 2012 so she was not punting it around like Andretti. Her prior truck was a first run RR Sport HSE that she drove to 100K miles with only routine service. She must be the Rover whisperer.

This is a design defect, pure and simple, and anyone alleging otherwise would be wrong based on the empirical evidence. I know I'm a sample of 1, but probably also in the minority on this board where I have full access to all records and intimate knowledge of usage of the vehicle since it rolled off the lot.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I know I'm bumping an old thread, but thought I would add a relevant data point. I have put about 1,200 miles on my new to me 2012 that was purchased new from my Mother and driven in suburban Atlanta, taken in for every service and oil changed according to 'when the computer told her to' which checks out on the records. All were before 15K miles, as the truck did not get a ton of mileage over the course of her ownership, though it was her only car. Build date March 2012.

It has the timing chain chatter. Not always but I'd say about 50% of the time and usually when cold, though it will also exhibit it at hot startup at times...At 55K miles. Driven by a woman who bought it at age 63 in late 2012 so she was not punting it around like Andretti. Her prior truck was a first run RR Sport HSE that she drove to 100K miles with only routine service. She must be the Rover whisperer.

This is a design defect, pure and simple, and anyone alleging otherwise would be wrong based on the empirical evidence. I know I'm a sample of 1, but probably also in the minority on this board where I have full access to all records and intimate knowledge of usage of the vehicle since it rolled off the lot.

its frustrating but at the same time there are plenty of 2011 and 2012s with 200K miles that have the original chain. my dealership has a 2012 LR4 with 300k miles on the original chain. id just bite the bullet and get it done as the car is beyond awesome and in my opinion a long term keeper.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322, 2013 LR4 HSE Lux, 2019 RR L405 Autobiography LWB
50 Posts
I have 109k and never a rattle. Runs smooth and perfect. I second your point about there are good and bad, yet something could happen at anytime. Knock on wood.
I agree. I suspect there could be a qc issue from vendor supplying the chains and/or guides to Ford. We have 3 5L V8 LR’s, 2 of which have well over 100k miles w/o issue; my son’s 2013 LR4 has approximately 210k mi, 2011 L322 HSE Lux w/157k. The 3rd is 2018 L405 w/5L SC but it’s only 27k miles. None of these have had any cam chain issues or noises. We have changed oil @7500 intervals on all 3 during their entire life. We’ve used the newer 5122 oil spec, mostly Motul but Liqui-Moly on occasion.

The 5L is a great engine, I would buy another JLR product w/this engine w/o hestitation.

·
Registered
2012 Range Rover HSE
150 Posts
its frustrating but at the same time there are plenty of 2011 and 2012s with 200K miles that have the original chain. my dealership has a 2012 LR4 with 300k miles on the original chain. id just bite the bullet and get it done as the car is beyond awesome and in my opinion a long term keeper.
For sure I will fix the truck, I love it. It's just astounding that I'll have to plunk down $7-12K to get it to a point where I'm not butt puckering every time I hear a noise.

I agree. I suspect there could be a qc issue from vendor supplying the chains and/or guides to Ford. We have 3 5L V8 LR’s, 2 of which have well over 100k miles w/o issue; my son’s 2013 LR4 has approximately 210k mi, 2011 L322 HSE Lux w/157k. The 3rd is 2018 L405 w/5L SC but it’s only 27k miles. None of these have had any cam chain issues or noises. We have changed oil @7500 intervals on all 3 during their entire life. We’ve used the newer 5122 oil spec, mostly Motul but Liqui-Moly on occasion.

The 5L is a great engine, I would buy another JLR product w/this engine w/o hesitation.
I'm glad to hear of your luck with your fleet. Promising for some others, alas, I didn't roll the right dice. The N/A 5L is certainly a terrific runner and gets the brick moving at quite the pace

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
428 Posts
Massachusetts. I am worried about finding a shop that really knows how to do it properly
Look up J. White's Automotive in Framingham and Cityside Garage in Holliston. Both are reputable shops. If the distance of no issue for you,
J E Robison Service in Springfield is also well-known in the community.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts

I believe you. The unwritten rule (hindsight 20/20) being to change oil twice as often gave better odds to some people. No guarantee. My independent has me changing my full synthetic 5W20 every 6,000 miles.

Agree if manual maintenance just told us all to change at 6,000 or 7.500 there would be a lot less bad reputation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 RR 5.0 SC
83 Posts
I did the timing tensioner update (no chain change) as I only have 55k miles, and it still has the rattle. Assume the chain has stretched some. I’m of two minds, either go back in a couple months and do everything at once with new chain (SC snout, new fuel injectors, new VANOS stuff), or just ignore and hope she lasts.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts