RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched this forum end to end regarding the infamous timing chain guide issues, and I gather that no matter what, the 2010 - 2012 5.0 will at one point need to have the timing chain guides and timing chains replaced, or risk utter engine destruction.

As such, when looking for a used 2010 - 2012 it would make sense to factor this job in to the purchase price, in the event it had never been done.

However, after speaking to service technicians at multiple Land Rover dealerships I have been getting a pretty consistent response which implies "It is the luck of the draw". Citing numerous examples of well maintained 5.0's with over 100K miles that have never had the guides replaced and do not demonstrate any of the symptoms of a loose chain.

I found a very clean well maintained 2010 supercharged 5.0 for $25K with 75K miles. I looked through the Carfax and called up the dealership where it was maintained and I found out that the previous owner brought it in for a "loud rattling noise" and sure enough they diagnosed it as needing new timing chains/guides and quoted him $8K to do the job.

The service technician explained that the previous owner meticulously maintained the truck in every other way and always took care of any needed service right away (I assume the $8K put him over the edge, so he ultimately traded it in for a 2013+ and it went to auction where it was subsequently bought by another small independent dealership currently selling it).

As such, I figured all in at $33K ($25K purchase price+ $8K timing chains/guides) would be a pretty good entry price and would leave me somewhat worry free from catastrophic engine failure risk. However, he told me that since it is making the rattle to RUN. I explained $33K would actually not be too bad considering, however he was of the opinion that it would be more prudent to go with a more expensive one without the rattle, lets say $33K for the same truck with a bit less mileage but without the rattle.

I could not understand the logic since the rattle could start at anytime and then I would need to spend another $8K bringing the all in price up to $41K instead. However, he seems to think there are good ones and bad ones, and if you have a 2010- 2012 in 2017 with decent mileage that is not rattling, it most likely won't and therefore you are better off continuing to search for a "good" one.

I also got the impression that he was of the opinion that a "bad" one even after getting the job performed is still worse off than a "good" one that never had the job performed.

Are there any 5.0 owners out there which have never had the rattle? If so, what is your current mileage?

Is there any disadvantage to getting this job done which would somehow make the engine more likely to fail in the future? I read on here that someone got the job done and then 30K miles later the engine blew.

Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
if you get the chains and guides done make sure to also replace the 4 cam sprockets they run about 250 each the dealer suggested this as they had done a few without swapping in new parts guess what after new chains and guides same rattle,
If the engine starts running with a roughness then figure on swapping in a new set of injectors

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4 Posts
I have 109k and never a rattle. Runs smooth and perfect. I second your point about there are good and bad, yet something could happen at anytime. Knock on wood.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I did every single part in the timing system including above mentioned parts, as well as other systems gone thru, new injectors, fan, hoses, seals, rebuilt supercharger coupler, everything for about that price. I’m now good for another 100k. Thought about selling but nothing else compares to this beast and for what I use it for at this price, style, power to tow, and comfort. You can do the minimum for about 3500-4K. But you might as well do it properly.

Mine me was a one owner. Did the work.. running great.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mrmerlin, noted.

Samman, that is good to hear. Are you the original owner? I would guess your oil change intervals from inception were 10K or less.

Brav, I need to start getting some local quotes and want to ensure I do not miss any parts. Regarding the timing system, what other parts are there besides the following?:

- Guides (4 total? 2 inner 2 outer right?)
- Tensioners (2 total? 2 outer right?)
- Cam Sprockets (4 total)
- Timing Chains (2 total)
- Crankshaft Pulley (1 total)

Is my above understanding correct?

Sounds like you got a lot done for that price :thumb:

Did you also do the water pump? That seems to be the only other weak point.

Thanks!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks Mrmerlin, noted.

Samman, that is good to hear. Are you the original owner? I would guess your oil change intervals from inception were 10K or less.

Brav, I need to start getting some local quotes and want to ensure I do not miss any parts. Regarding the timing system, what other parts are there besides the following?:

- Guides (4 total? 2 inner 2 outer right?)
- Tensioners (2 total? 2 outer right?)
- Cam Sprockets (4 total)
- Timing Chains (2 total)
- Crankshaft Pulley (1 total)

Is my above understanding correct?

Sounds like you got a lot done for that price :thumb:

Did you also do the water pump? That seems to be the only other weak point.

Thanks!
ill give you a list tomorrow.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
I guess I dont get the LR guys logic.
It's a weak spot, and needs fixing at some point. So buying one that needs it done for cheap is a decent deal IMHO, so long as you can do the job right away.
As a comparison, I missed out on a 2010 last year with a "distressed" engine. Rattle rattle etc. It sold for $7k after the guy eventually replied to my email.
If a small shop bought it at auction for cheap, due to engine noise, what did they do to it to make it sellable??
if nothing else, and they are a Rover shop, ask for a price with the job done, keeping all old parts and the invoices for the parts etc.

Martin

·
Registered
111 Posts
OK, here is the list of parts I did on mine - basically anything that came off, was replaced. I had 100k on odo.

S/c rebuild kit LR0022109 x 1
5W20 castrol x8.25
oil filter LR011279 x1
coolant JLM217090 x3
water pump LR073711 x1
Seal LR030593 x1
Oil cooler Tube LR028136 x1
Tensioner LR051008 x2
Fuel Injector LR069897 x8
Tensioner LR051013 x2
Chain Guide LR051012 x2
Gasket clean kit
Chain LR032048 x2
O-ring seal LR011946 x4
Plug hole gasket LR011220 x4
V/C Gasket LR010789 x1
Head Gasket LR014345 x1
Crank Seal LR010706 x1
Crank Bolt AJ811490 x1
Intake Gasket upper LR011343 x1
Intake Gasket LR011585 x1
Intake Gasket LR011586 x1
Front timing cover LR012108 x1
Gasket LR010910 x1
Oil drain plug AJ88461 x1
Fan assy w clutch LR012644 x1
Battery H8 x1
Serp drive belt 6PK-2460 x1
Ball joint front uppr RBK 500210 x2

So it was 5k in parts and 4k labor, supposedly with discounts.. but was being charged regular shop prices for parts. Probably over 1k in parts that were not related directly to the engine, like viscous fan, ball joints, battery etc. It was a lot of work done. The oil cooler pipe is an upgrade for one that commonly cracks.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is very helpful, thank you! This actually makes me think its smarter to find one for around $25K and put the $10K or so into it rather than buy one for $35K that doesn't exhibit any signs of the rattle. At least I would know it is all fresh.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
I always buy cheap, do the work myself, then know it's trouble free.
Trying to find one with known good history along with a documented timing job may be difficult on a 10/11 year old vehcle though. Not to mention you dont KNOW what exactly was replaced.

·
Registered
2 Posts
if you get the chains and guides done make sure to also replace the 4 cam sprockets they run about 250 each the dealer suggested this as they had done a few without swapping in new parts guess what after new chains and guides same rattle,
If the engine starts running with a roughness then figure on swapping in a new set of injectors
So I had a timing chain replacement on my 2012 HSE, paid a fortune and it is still making the exact same taping/rattle noise and I looked at the invoice and they listed my car as a 2013 instead of 2012. Are the timing chain parts different in a 2012 vs 2013?? Could that be why I am still hearing the noise? Also, I looked at my invoice and they didn't replace the cam sprockets like you suggested, I guess that could be it??

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
NOTE the chains are also affecting the 2013 and 2014 models, they just are not old enough.
Some speculation is that the oil changes should be done every 5k miles along with a new filter.
The Rover service interval is 15K between changes
IMHO thats way too long

·
Registered
126 Posts
NOTE the chains are also affecting the 2013 and 2014 models, they just are not old enough.
Some speculation is that the oil changes should be done every 5k miles along with a new filter.
IMHO thats way too long
Is this true? I thought the upgraded parts in the newer models were changed to metal instead of plastic alleviating this issue? I've been looking at MY14 and MY15 with around 20-30k miles, would hate for this to be an issue on the newer models as well. I'm at 78k miles on my MY12 and haven't had any issues yet but looking to get a newer model to ensure I don't have to deal with it.

I've never let more than 6k miles go between oil changes, regardless of the 15k mile increment that LR says can happen.

·
Registered
416 Posts
no way the chains are having issues from oil change intervals. fully synthetic oil coupled with state of the art modern oil filters can easily handle 15k miles of suburban driving. even if people are using a partial synthetic the motor wont know the difference between 6 and 12k mile intervals. if using regular oil then i cld see an issue. 24/7 in the sahara or in the north pole id change it every 5k with fully synthetic.

·
Registered
305 Posts
no way the chains are having issues from oil change intervals. fully synthetic oil coupled with state of the art modern oil filters can easily handle 15k miles of suburban driving. even if people are using a partial synthetic the motor wont know the difference between 6 and 12k mile intervals. if using regular oil then I could see an issue. 24/7 in the sahara or in the north pole id change it every 5k with fully synthetic.
I agree significant revisions to the hardware indicates that this is a hardware issue. How hard you push the engine might contribute to when the failure occurs. I was in Svalbard last year (as close to the north pole as you can get and still be on land) I saw no Rovers of any kind. Lots of HiLux though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
So I had a timing chain replacement on my 2012 HSE, paid a fortune and it is still making the exact same taping/rattle noise and I looked at the invoice and they listed my car as a 2013 instead of 2012. Are the timing chain parts different in a 2012 vs 2013?? Could that be why I am still hearing the noise? Also, I looked at my invoice and they didn't replace the cam sprockets like you suggested, I guess that could be it??
I guess noise comes from supercharger, not chains... Have you replaced supercharger nose\tail?

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
213 Posts
IMHO thats way too long

Is there any way to predict when the issue is going to happen, and therefore fix it preemptively?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts