RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

So I was deep cleaning the p38 and while I was messing about in the passenger kick panel I found these mystery wires. 3 are cut and taped up and one more goes down to a small splitter there's a line coming from the splitter that is also cut and taped up.

Any ideas? Perhaps an aftermarket radio or alarm...? Just wondering if any of you knowledgeable gentleman may have a guess.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Did your rig have an aftermarket cell phone at some point?
Look carefully at the harness wires as well as the mystery of the non communicating Becm could be in there somewhere as well.....

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
The one with the splitter looks like it's an earth bodge. Why not use a ring connector and wire it up properly, there is an earthing point available right there...
Can't make out the other ones clearly, they seem red?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,755 Posts
anything after market is always a mystery. only thing you can do is trace them and figure out if they bypassed a damaged wire or usually if it's not attached to a factor harness it's just trash

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Agree totally with Escape.
Get rid of the bean tap, and be sure the wire has not been severed by it. The tap and splice appears to be an earth wire, so best would be to re make it and install on earth point. The red and black do need to be traced backwards and eliminated. It looks like a piece of coax hanging there as well?
while you were in there, how did the connectors on the plugs look? Stereo and nav signals pass that point an intermittent sound could be traced to a corroded plug.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good Idea, I will eliminate the bean and ground that wire as intended from the factory.

Sorry if the image isn't clear, the three wires are indicated by the arrows below. There is one red wire, one blue wire, and one black wire, the black wire is slightly larger gauge than the red and blue wire. All of them are bigger gauge than the factory wiring which leads me to believe its something aftermarket.

It is very possible that an aftermarket car phone was installed at one point, perhaps those wires lead to some sort of antenna? All i know is that they dissapear into the upper dash area....I'd have to remove the glove box and dash to find out exactly where they go to :( ….maybe when the dreaded heater core o rings fail I'll check it out.

Hi Tom, the white connector that you were refferring too, is that the one circled below? I unplugged them and it looks as though colors from the wiring heatshrink had bled into connector, indicating that it may have gotten wet at least once. This was also the same case for the connectors on the left hand kick panel. I liberally sprayed them with electronic contact cleaner and plugged them back in. it looked like the picture below.....

rr123.jpg rr2.jpg

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
That isn't colour from the wiring that has bled into the connectors, that is corrosion, or put more simply, a failure waiting for the most inconvenient time to happen. They are too far gone for contact cleaner, chop them off and solder jumper wires to do away with the plug and socket. You'll probably need to cut the wire back as the corrosion will have travelled up the wires so the conductors will be black showing that they have oxidised and you won't be able to solder to oxidised wires.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Ah!
That is VERY nasty! Contact cleaner would not be enough for that much corrosion.
So now you know about the corroded plug behind the kick panel syndrome I mentioned.......
This is why I asked if you were handy with soldering iron..........No time like the present to acquire a new skill!
Happens I have the necessary irons here, and am not afraid to use them!
(even tho I have not chopped out and bypassed the nasty plugs on my own rig:roll:....)
Possibly another session here with some wires, heat shrink, and irons, and then you too will be good with soldering. (and can do the other side:dance:)
This could even be the root cause for your EAS, Becm lack of communication, and stereo / Nav issues.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I should clarify that the above pic was just an example picture I pulled from Google. Below is an actual picture of my connector.

I had some time today so I went back in there bolted up the ground properly. I traced the 3 wires through the cab and the ended by the CD changer but not connected to anything. I'm guessing you were right Bolt, just left over wiring from a now removed car phone.

Taking all of your advice into consideration, I took a second look at the white plugs. Mine definitely aren't that bad yet.....I did get some brushes and went to town with electrical connector cleaner. I think it should be good for now....I'm not too keen on going that deep into the wiring just yet....hey Bolt you wanna practice on your truck first :D I'll bring the beer!

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts