RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K., so I'm working on getting my salvage 2001 P38 HSE up and running.

Some of the strange electrical problems include "Fuse 8 blown," when it isn't. Fuse 8 is in the fusebox under the passenger's seat. 30A. Feeds the HVAC, navigation, heated seats, etc.

So far I have never seen that part of the dash light up, no blower motor ever going.

After reading some posts, I decided to disassemble the fuse box in the engine compartment. RSW Solutions has a nice video on how.

I found a few broken solder points. I re-soldered them, put the board all back, and put it back in the car.

I did not pay any attention to which relay I put back in, as long as it was the right color. I did a quick continuity test on the relay coils when they were out (didn't power them up and test the switching part).

I go to start the car.... for 2 seconds I hear the blower motor, which is great... then it cuts out. That part of the dash is dark again.

I shut off the car, get out to check things under the hood, and while I am out of the car, key in my pocket, the car suddenly starts the starter motor!

The starter motor is running continuously. The car is not starting, so fuel is not flowing. I quickly disconnected the battery so I wouldn't burn out the starter motor.

I have NEVER heard of a car just randomly turning the starter on. Again, I was not in the car, key wash not in the ignition, my remote has no battery in it..

WHere to start? I haven't inspected the BECM under the passenger seat yet. COuld be the vehicle had some water damage? Who knows. ANother thought was maybe at some point in it's life someone installed a remote start? Seems weird it happened after I did the fusebox work.

I'm really at a loss where to check next.

Any suggestions welcome!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
332 Posts
Relay 16 is the starter relay. Pull that and see what happens. If the contacts were fused that would operate the starter.

If not, then see where that relay is getting a feed from.

Do you have the wiring manual? It's free online.

The fuse 8 issue and the blower fans on and off sound like a failed fuse box; I know you rebuilt it but this is one of the costs of P38 ownership and they're not expensive. I'd replace that first (they are VIN specific) and see what other issues 'fix themselves' with the change.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK so I pulled relay 16, no starter going. When I turn the keys, the blower starts for a second or two, then shuts off. If I turn the ignition off and on again, blower runs for a second, then stops.

I checked relay 16 out of the fuse box. Continuity through the coil, and the switch portion was as labeled, normally open. I didn't check it with power to the coil.

I also noticed relay 10, which has a motor with a line through it symbol, there was arcing visible inside the relay. You could see a light flickering through the plastic.

Yeah, lots of problems. I'm going to take your suggestion and just buy a new fuse box.

Do you think it's worth digging around in the BECM while I wait for that fuse box to come in?

·
Registered
332 Posts
What did Lincoln say when threatened by the British, during The Civil War?

One war at a time.

The blower behaviour sounds like a failing fusebox - mine did similar things - indlcuding the Fuse 8 blown message (it wasn't).

The BECM gets blamed for various things but seem to be pretty reliable.

You could start to trace back where the starter relay is getting its feed from, but good idea to replace the FB now as it's toast, or will strand you at some point by the sound of it.

Let us know how you go

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
If you even suspect water damage, it is a good idea to pull all of the plugs out and have a look at them.
Moisture getting into the white plug at the back of the Becm can cause the starter to activate without the key.....
A new fuse box is definitely a first thing.
Since you will be waiting for the new fuse box, pull the covers off of the left and right kick panels and inspect the several plugs on both sides. Again, this is a normal failure point, and if this thing is even suspected of getting wet, a must to check and clean.
If too green and fuzzy, cut them out and solder / heat shrink the wires together.
Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts