RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_6428.JPG
Can anyone please confirm what this fluid leaking is? I'm not sure which it is, radiator fluid or A/C coolant?
It's coming from the drivers side.
Any thoughts are appreciated.
IMG_6429.JPG

·
Registered
222 Posts
My money is on the hard plastic pipe that is joined to the short rubber section has cracked.
I had the same on my GEMS engine and found the hard lines were perished badly and very brittle.
I got a few meters of the rubber hose and replaced all the hard lines with that.

Look into it ASAP.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Throttle body heater hoses and/or heater plate on the bottom of the throttle body. I about flipped out when my one hose started started leaking when i got home from work one day. Only had the truck for a week or two. The leak looked like it was coming from the left rear of the block and I immediately thought the worst. After i finally started poking around I finally realized it was dripping the coolant onto the valve cover and following the fluting on top and dripping down from the rear bolt down the block. I found the offending hose and cut 3/4" off and re-clamped it. Cheapest fix ever! :dance:

·
Registered
49 Posts
If it's not the hose leaking it may be the gasket at the throttle body heater. Replace the whole piece, not just the gasket. They're known to warp. No worries, they're very inexpensive. This one is for a Disco II.

intake_heater.jpg

The other option is to just bypass it and eliminate all of that excess tubing. It doesn't get cold enough in Seattle to need it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah this is my Saturday for sure now! Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
The other option is to just bypass it and eliminate all of that excess tubing. It doesn't get cold enough in Seattle to need it.

I would not bypass, once the weather gets colder your throttle butterfly is liable to freeze normally in the open position thus vehicle fails to idle when you get off the throthle. this freeze is due to the cold air rushing thru intake and throttle body, while the other side of the engine is warm.
needless to say it condenses and with the ambient temp the throttle body freezes. thus do not bypass the heater plate.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,755 Posts
Totally agree. The folks that say it doesn;t get cold enough in Seattle obviously never leave sea level. My second Bosch had the plate bypassed and it did indeed make for some interesting issues in subfreezing weather on weekend trips to Canada, North Cascades and even over the two local mountain passes. A sticky throttle on compact snow and ice is no laughing matter. I do whole heartedly agree with fixing the issue properly. The hard plastic hoses do get brittle with age, however as they easily last 100K miles, jsut replace them so you don't have flex line wandering all over the top of the engine. The plate and gaskets are quick to install. Heater plate is about $26 and the hoses are another $18 or $20

·
Registered
49 Posts
I stand corrected. After researching this subject way more than most sane people would consider healthy I've learned that throttle body icing is possible even at temps as high as 50F given the right conditions, and that while some EFI intake designs are almost immune others are very prone to icing as RRToadHall and others have discovered.

Bite the bullet, spend the $, and fix it right. Your life might depend on that $26 part!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
Im not always right but when I am, I drink dos X stay thirsty....lol.
I have seen the icy phenomenon more than once, quite often the owner did not realize the by pass he had performed during the summer would come and haunt him in the winter.
I work on this things for a living and many times I have corrected concerns resulting from mis information, sometimes this has led to expensive correction of improper repairs.
the internet is full of info it up to the end -user to interpret and filter the good from the bad.
good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all- Issue was a bad heater plate, lines were ok. Replaced the whole thing, less than $50 out the door and only a little afternoon under the hood.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts