RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

Just got me self a 1997 RR 4.0. The engine looks like the one in the picture. My question is regarding a slim rubber hose coming out of the top head (see the arrow in the picture). Well, when i got the car, the pipe cut and just hanging, sucking in air when start. One of my mechanics, for some reason blocked it up with a ball bearing. My question is what is this pipe really for. in the Picture (not my car) the pipe is going behind the head and attaching somewhere i assume. Any advice please. Ive taken out the bearing and the car seems to idle easier. i block it then the engine starts revving up slightly. Any advice lads?

Cheers

P9200466 MOD.jpg

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,755 Posts
That hose should be connected to the pipe coming out of your right hand valve cover. In that valve cover pipe will be the oil separator. It's parts of the crankcase ventilation system. Gasses from the inside the engine are drawn into the intake to be burned through standard ignition.

Side note, the photo above has it misrouted. The hose does not go behind the intake or to the rear of the engine.

Rover_Oil_Breather.jpg

1 - 2 of 2 Posts