RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me preface by saying I'm super detail oriented and quite the perfectionist. Great when I'm being watched over by my attending and chief in the OR.... but not so much everywhere else. Also, sorry for the long post :oops:

So since I purchased my RRSS almost 3 years ago, I've had this intermittent "mushy" brake pedal. i can best describe it by saying that sometimes, the truck will stop quick with about an inch or two of travel. Sometimes, the first inch or two of travel does very little and I have to depress further to get the same stoping power. At this point, I think it's just normal pedal feel but I thought I'd ask the forum gurus just in case.

Chronology of my saga:
  • When I first bought it, pads were worn very thin and pedal was super soft. I changed pads/rotors (all OEM genuine) and brake fluid pressure bleed with motul 600. Helped a lot, but pedal was still inconsistent.
  • I had some pulsations maybe a year later, so changed rotors (at the dealer under warranty since genuine part) and pressure bled fluid again with oem (at an indy shop) to see if that MIGHT help even more with pedal... it didn't.
  • Had some other repairs to do at the dealer so I mentioned it to them and they pressure bled brakes AGAIN which helped a little more, but still inconsistent.
  • Somepoint in time here, I had an indy shop replace the front 6-pot calipers with new units that were factory painted red and they bled the system again after installing them. I sold the old ones and the difference to upgrade was VERY little :thumb:
  • About 3 months ago, changed pads/rotors at an indy shop (man, do those front pads wear quick) and had them bleed brakes. This shop, however, used a computer and cycled the ABS while having a tech manually pump the brakes. This shop was advertised as a bentley/jag/rolls shop but boy were they inexperienced. Half way through the computer cycle procedure, the truck turned off and they had to restart it. Long story short, pedal was SUPER soft and sunk almost to the floor. I was not happy but mechanic said "it would firm up in time." FALSE.
  • Went to another Mercedes indy that pressure bled with new fluid and brakes were firm, about what they were prior to brake change.
  • - at this step, the "end" of the brake pedal was getting mushy which was new. If I'm at a complete stop, I could press down harder on the pedal and it would sink about an inch.
  • Had the truck at the dealer last month (yes, the entire month) for other issues including the brakes, this time they replaced the brake master cylinder (due to worn internal seals) and pressure bled fluid.
Right now, the brake pedal feel is probably the best it's been. The end point of the pedal is VERY firm and perfect, no more mushiness. However, the travel required to get the same stopping power is still intermittent. Some days, brakes feel great and very sensitive. Some days, brake pedal requires more travel to get the same stopping power (almost like first inch does nothing).

TL: DR Are the brakes supposed to have intermittent "power"/"feel" depending on speed, or engine RPM, or some other factor?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've had similar issues with my wife's 2010 RRS. She says the brake pedal feels fine to her, I guess she is used to it by now. But when I drive it, the pedal travel is long, mushy and I'm not certain when brakes are going to fully engage. I gave up on going to the dealer and getting the usual "operating at specified ranges" BS. This is the only way I can get a decent pedal when I dive the truck: start engine-apply firm even pressure on brake pedal until it stops (very long travel)- do this 4 to 5 times-then drive off. You will notice a beautiful moderately firm pedal with predictable engagement. It doesn't last more than a couple of days though, so I just do it when I drive it. Dealer just says that if it helps to do this...do it...because the techs have no clue as to what the issue is. If someone else has found a permanent fix to this let me know.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
820 Posts
I am always surprised when I occasionally drive the wife's Grand Cherokee. The brake pedal is nice and firm way before my foot expects it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts