RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out for lunch the other day with a friend of mine, we got there in his 06 RRSS.

He's the 2nd owner, and was not told about any damage / accidents before the purchase. As I was sitting in the passenger seat I noticed his dash had cracked in a precise line around where the passenger side airbag is on the dash.

He took it to the dealer, and the dealer was kind enough to call the Land Rover Rep in who said that as he's not the first owner, they think it may ave been hit, and the airbag may not have been installed correctly -- and the dealer says that they would be willing to take it apart and check it out, and if the original airbag is in the vehicle, they will replace the dash under warranty--but if it's not the oiriginal airbag then he will have to pay $3K to to fix it (dash replacement) + the labour.

I told him I'd post it up here to see what the experts here would do in this situation--or if anyone has seen this before.

CHeers

·
Registered
96 Posts
Re: MysteriousAirbag cover outline crack- passenger side of dash

Mine isn't cracked but I've noticed I can see the lines in the dash on the passengers side when I'm driving

·
Registered
489 Posts

I had that passenger side airbag go off when i hit a dear 2 years ago and id pretty much say theres almost no way it "slightly" went off. That bag busted through so strong that the flap from the dash cracked my windshield in multiple places. My dash had to be replaced completely as there is NO WAY to fix the hole made by the airbag. I agree that sometimes in the right light you can see the outlines of where it would bust through but if your seeing cracking then i would say his dash needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
260 Posts

jbrac25 said:
I had that passenger side airbag go off when i hit a dear 2 years ago
Thats what you get for going Dear hunting with the WRONG ammo. You CAN'T reload the RRS! Better decisions Brac better decisions... 12reps + 1

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

jbrac25 said:
I had that passenger side airbag go off when i hit a dear 2 years ago and id pretty much say theres almost no way it "slightly" went off. That bag busted through so strong that the flap from the dash cracked my windshield in multiple places. My dash had to be replaced completely as there is NO WAY to fix the hole made by the airbag. I agree that sometimes in the right light you can see the outlines of where it would bust through but if your seeing cracking then i would say his dash needs to be replaced.
Good point jbrac. do you think that the cracking could be caused by a shop that installed the airbag incorrectly or a factory defect?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts

jbrac25 said:
I had that passenger side airbag go off when i hit a dear
A dear what? A dear friend? Dear grandma? For Heaven's sake Jeff, what in the world did you hit? :wink:

·
LEGACY VENDOR
808 Posts

umbertob said:
jbrac25 said:
I had that passenger side airbag go off when i hit a dear
A dear what? A dear friend? Dear grandma? For Heaven's sake Jeff, what in the world did you hit? :wink:
:lol:

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

MIAMIRRS said:
Pictures?
of what he hit?

or of Lone Rangerover's friend's crack?

·
Registered
489 Posts

LOL I hate it when i get caught with the spelling errors. Thanks for pointing that out Umberto.

Lone Range I personally think that it has to be a defect due to the fact that i cant see it having anything to do with replacement. There is no way in the world that the airbag could go off and not blow through the dash. It was so powerful it broke my windshield so it would be pretty darn noticeable if they tried to put the 2 flaps back together and repaired it somehow. I have an extra dash lying around i will take some pics from inside and out so you can see whats involved. Id hate for you to take though and them try to make you pay cause i was wrong though. I dont know if upholstery guys can work magic like that or not.

Heres a pic of the deer on the side of the road before i saw him.

After I passed him this was what i saw.

My windshield looked like this and its all from the dash flap slapping it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Holy @&&@$!, jbrac

that's quite the hit- and good to know that you're ok, and that the rrss held up so well.

Would love to see those dash pica if you have a chance. Cheers

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

Oh dear.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
260 Posts

Jeff your car is white...

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts

TriGem2k said:
Jeff your car is white...
... And deers don't just grow horns when you hit them with a car, Jeff! :lol:

It's like the other day when I was running late for work in downtown Moscow with my black S/C:
[youtube:15tzosdr]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa2oHw9zPuQ[/youtube:15tzosdr]

·
Registered
489 Posts

I knew youd catch the horns Umberto lol.
Heres the pic of the underside of the airbag spot. You can see it would be hard for them to fix that. Sorry about the crappy pics. I didnt feel like cleaning it but i think we get the picture. The 2 rows of 3 rivets are the flaps that blow open and that brown middle section is where it rips.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts

Why won't they just have the dash replaced. Mine had 2 bubbles pop up, which the dealer then replaced. Then a few months, may 1 year later, another bubble popper up and was replaced gain. Guess the TX heat does number on the black dash.

·
Registered
136 Posts

today i got the truck back from the detail shop and notice a break along the airbag outline. it's about half an inch long but i only imagine it getting bigger. i will let you guys know what the dealer says when i take it in tomorrow.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts