RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, back again. Just wondering if anyone knows what may be leaking around the transmission. I was jacking up the Rover to change brakes and when i looked under, a puddle started forming. My first thought was the A/C but closser observation revealed this.

the leak looks like its dripping right before the black rubber cover on the transmission
any ideas? any past experience with this? thanks for the help.

·
Registered
154 Posts
This looks like the good ol' "coolant leaking into the valley pan" issue that I get in my '05 every 2 years. The gasket is crappy rubber and deteriorates - I think it was arounf $500 all in to fix.

·
Registered
93 Posts
randyboy,

Coolant dripping from that location can have several sources. First make sure it is not from coolant hoses at the rear of the engine. If you remove your fresh air intake plenum and engine cover you will be able to see if that's the case. If they are ok, it's probably the valley cover, which requires removal of the intake manifold. It could also be the o-rings on your crossover pipes and lastly the crossover plate on the rear of the engine. (Transmission removal) These last things are pretty involved and best left to a pro. Good luck! ibis1 ;)

P.S. If you decide to remove the intake manifold, make sure you replace all coolant components at that time. (1) Valley cover (2) Crossover pipe o-rings (3) Coolant manifold gaskets (4) Coolant hoses

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Is there any way to tell without removing the manifold whether the coolant gallery sealing plate is leaking? I was inspecting all around prior to ordering some parts to make sure I have found everything I may need... and saw coolant which appears to be leaking down from the engine but I can't tell where it is coming from. The front diff is wet as are some of the suspension parts in that general area on both sides.

Took off the fresh air intake and looked at the back of the engine, everything looks nice and clean back there. Nothing wet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue with a 2000 RR P38. I have replaced the resv to throttle body hose and did the water pump 20k miles ago. The leak seems to come from close to the engine and there looks to be a seal above the thermostat to engine block... I wonder if this may be my issue. I am looking at the rocker cover gasket and head gasket and hoping that is not it. I lose about 1/2 inch from reservoir every day. Oil is not brown so I think head gasket is ok... Any advise appreciated.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hmmmm my initial reply seemed to vanish in to the internet. Check to see if it is coming from higher up. I had a similar problem and found it coming from a coolant "junction" if you will. There are quick release fittings that attach to an aluminum fitting on the right rear side of the valve cover on mine and they had corroded causing a leak that could not be seen except for on the ground. You will have to remove the large plastic engine shroud/cover to access that area. Here is a link to my thread showing pictures and the quick fix I did in the meantime to get hose beyond the corroded area.

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-rover-l322-mark-iii/36922-help-coolant-parts.html

cheers

·
Registered
646 Posts
i've actually have heard of the coolant in the valley pan. is it a DIY?
You can search my username I had a very similiar problem and posted pictures. DIY depends on how handy you are with tools. It will require you remove the intake manifold and the water pump. Then the valley pan gasket is right under the intake manifold.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts