RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't know this and didn't see it reported earlier, so I thought I would share. RRS (as well as LR4 and Evoque) equipped with Gen 2.1 infotainment systems fitted on MY2012 and 2013 will be able to receive navigation map updates on a USB memory stick. It will no longer be necessary to visit a dealer to get the hard drive reflashed with a specialized tool via diagnostics, as is the case for MY2010s and 11s. I assume updated map data for MY2012s and later may be purchased from Land Rover and/or Navteq, when it becomes available, in the form of a USB memory stick.

So, to recap:

- MY2006-2009 RRS = DVD updates (carried out by customer)
- MY2010-2011 RRS = Hard Drive updates (carried out by dealer)
- MY2012-2013 RRS = USB updates (carried out by customer)

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
208 Posts
Yes!! That sounds great. Thanks for the information.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
I would assume a consumer purchase and a dealer purchase are the same, but at the dealership, we had to download the software, and then transfer it to a USB flash drive, and then update the truck. Also, realistically, the owner can preform the update on a 10/11, you just need a firewire hdd, and some software to set it up correctly, but investment vs use it probably makes more sense to have the dealer update it for you.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought DVD updates at $199 for MY05-09s were bad enough. But the USB drive for MY2012s wishing to upgrade to MY2013 maps is $279.00 from Navteq. :shock: You can buy one hell of a nice Garmin with lifetime map updates for less than that. Does anyone know how much a dealer charges to update the hard drive nav data of a MY2010-11?

And forget about USB stick "sharing", a unique unlock code is generated with your VIN when you order it, and you need to enter that code to perform the update on your vehicle.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Bump - wondering cost on updating '10/'11 navigation at dealerships.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
Bump - wondering cost on updating '10/'11 navigation at dealerships.
Why not just call the dealer and ask???

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
I forget the price of the update license(akin to the update disc of previous models) but each dealership will be different when it comes to the total price, as there is labor involved. Also, some dealerships may not be able to do this, I know the last dealership I was at, the HDD tool got used for something else, and was ruined, and they have not replaced it yet.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Why not just call the dealer and ask???
Looks like I will, but (a) I wanted to get a ballpark (e.g. somewhere around $100 vs. somewhere aound $300) to see if it's even worth it before calling and (b) it varies by dealership, so I was hoping to get a sense of what would be reasonable before calling all of the local dealers to get the best price. If you don't know, why not just click elsewhere instead of this response? If someone had it done already, i thought it would be pretty simple to get a reply that said "I paid around $XXX" before running through a bunch of phone calls.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My expectation would be about $300 or so ($200 for the data, plus their labor fee to upload it), give or take 50 bucks to account for different labor rates. It does take FOREVER - several hours - to load the map data via USB (the FireWire hard drive method may be faster), although it's not as if a tech needs to sit there watching the progress bar once the process has started.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
The loading of the data only takes about 15-20 minutes. I have only done this as an update once(not including when replacing the unit, which requires a good amount more software to be loaded and configured) and that was with loading the 12-13 map data to the HDD, which is a time consuming process, and the whole thing came in just over an hour or so. But with hooking everything up, and getting it started, most dealers are going to charge around an hour labor.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thanks, guys. I'm going to try my local dealer (Paul Miller) and the one I purchased from (Prestige) and will report back with prices so others have it. I might wait for the next service, which will probably be October. We just drove through Albany and the map was way off on I-87, almost missed an exit, and the road didn't look that new. So, I figured it might be time for an update. When I had an H3, GM gave the first update for free (that was a simple DVD swap, though). I'm not sure if BMW did the same when I had an X5 (that was awhile ago). Too bad LR doesn't do something similar.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts