RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed today that my tailights on my truck are getting condensation in them, I had about a 45minute drive in 19 degree weather and I am concearned about the tailights considering the truck only has 12k miles on it.........anyone with a newer model seeing these issues?? Is it something the dealership replaces under warranty???

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
I noticed today that my tailights on my truck are getting condensation in them, I had about a 45minute drive in 19 degree weather and I am concearned about the tailights considering the truck only has 12k miles on it.........anyone with a newer model seeing these issues?? Is it something the dealership replaces under warranty???
This is definitely a warranty issue, they should replace them no problem, unless the condensation is "normal." Like the front tail lights on my previous LR3, LR designs the lights to allow a certain amount of condensation on the inside, breathing room I guess you could say. If the condensation is not spread out or leaving watermarks on the inside lens, then it's probably normal.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I think it's normal. I noticed this on my 2010 after about 12 months of ownership. I took it to the dealer and they DID replace it under warranty but shortly after I noticed the the other side got some moisture as well as the new lamp. I thought "what are the odds of 3 defective lamps" so I did a little investigating. If you look closely at the taillamps you'll find a pin-head sized hole in each. I beleive this is to let them "breath" in various temperatures. Also if you search these boards I think you'll find that this is common and (likely) normal.

I only got the condensation once or twice after I had been washing the truck in the sunlight otherwise I'ver never had another issue. I think as long as water isn't pooling up inside the assembly I wouldn't worry. ;-)

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
As a weatherguy, I just want to give you a quick example. Do you know how your sunglasses fog up in certain conditions? That's totally normal. If the temperature of your housing has made it to the dew point, that's okay. They only have little tubes for ventilation. A sunglass is open to the air to dry out if it needs to.

I am actually surprised I don't see a lot more cars with condensation in their housing. Ours do it, too. It's okay. I've never noticed any damage.

Another thing, evaporated then condensed water is normally quite clean. (No deposits) That's nature's way of cleaning water surprisingly enough. I'm sayin that if you do have condensation, it shouldn't leave any residue.

·
Registered
184 Posts
hey man i hope this helps,

i bought a new pair of 2010 led tail lights for my range rove sport, and the day after that i started to see condensation, now everyone seems to say it is normal as long as water doesn't begin to form inside the light, but it still bothered me, so what i did is i took the lights of the car and if you realize at the back of the lights there are ventilation holes with covers on them, what i did is pushed out the covers giving the holes more space to let the condensation out with ease, so this way if humidity strikes and the sun comes out, the evaporation inside the lights will leave the lights with out no problem leaving no signs of condensation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts