RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Released today on GTR site, haven't seen anything similar reported on the forum yet, but just in case:

SSM 42955

Models
LM - New Range Rover
LS - Range Rover Sport
LA - Discovery 4

Title 10MY Smart Key Not Found
Last Modified 13-JAN-2010 11:51
Category Electrical
Symptom 203000 Basic Electrical
Content

Issue
The Ignition will not turn on / Engine will not start and the message 'Smart Key Not Found' is the displayed on the Instrument Pack message centre.

Cause
Currently Engineering has identified several concerns with regards to this message and in order to help correct the concern the following steps must be performed.
The problem is identified as Transponder Lock Up, in this scenario the Transmitter within the Smart Key is blocked from making the appropriate transmission to the vehicle. The failure mode is intermittent and therefore it is not always repeatable.

Action

1. Determine if the concern is a result of Medium Speed CAN. Can you communicate to the vehicle's Medium Speed CAN using SDD?

a. YES – The Medium Speed CAN is operating properly. Continue to step 2.
b. NO – Proceed with diagnosing why the Medium Speed CAN is not responding.

2. Remove fuse 17P (5amps) from the Passenger Compartment Fuse Box. Wait one minute. Insert fuse 17P (5amps) into the Passenger Compartment Fuse Box. Has the 'Smart Key Not Found' message cleared?

a. YES – STOP. At this point you've diagnosed a concern with the KVM's software. Engineering is currently looking into this condition to understand what is causing the KVM to enter this locked state. A further communication will follow once the root cause has been determined. Furthermore, the concern could happen again and it is advisable to alert the customer that if the condition occurs they will need remove fuse 17P (5amps) from the Passenger Compartment Fuse Box in order to recover the KVM. Make the customer aware that we are working on a resolution and will deliver one ASAP.
b. NO – Continue to step 3.

3. If steps 1 and 2 have not rectified the concern, then the problem is identified as Transponder Lock Up, in this scenario the transmitter within the Smart Key is blocked from making the appropriate transmission to the vehicle. The failure mode is intermittent and therefore it is not always repeatable. Replace the original two and any subsequent keys the customer has for the vehicle. Updated keys are available, under the following numbers via a Critical Parts Order.

Range Rover and Range Rover Sport.
433 MHz LR020366
315 MHz LR020365

Discovery4 and LR4
433 MHz LR020364
315 MHz LR020363

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had it happen 1x so far ... my partner was sitting next to me and opined that his Mercedes SL55 has done it over the years periodically as well.

Ahhhh - gotta love all these electronics!

·
Registered
1 Posts
We suffered this on my 500 mile old Discovery 4 yesterday just as we were setting off from Edinburgh to Inverness. We tried removing fuse 17P (behind the glove box - a pair of pointy pliers reqd and a torch) and this had no effect. At this point the AA arrived - called by Land Rover and he had not heard of the issue. I had read on another site that a battery hard reset might work but had no idea what this operation entailed. The AA man said it's gobbldygook for disconnect the battery for two minutes. We did this and hey presto - on our way an hour late! John

·
Registered
38 Posts
umbertob said:
See expanded SSM attached. Still no definitive resolution to this, will keep checking.

Umbertob - You're are correct. Dealership confirmed that while there is a sofware upgrade that was thought to correct the "Smart Key Not Found" issue, it is still not being recognized even after upgrade. My dealership told me that they're starting to get many more complaints and there is simply no resolution.

·
Registered
120 Posts
i have experienced this like 6 times since i got my 2010 RRS in early may... however after a few seconds (5 to 15) it usually sees that the smartkey is in my pocket and starts up no problem. it has never locked me out completely.

is this normal or should it be addressed?

·
Registered
38 Posts
This issue, among many others, was the final straw. I spent every other week at the dealership. I successfully "Lemon Lawed" my 2010. I surrendered the truck last month.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My build is later than the service action that updated the software supposedly fixing this issue. Maybe that's why it never completely locks me out?

Did yours lock u out completely? Is that why u returned it?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
colonels said:
i have experienced this like 6 times since i got my 2010 RRS in early may... however after a few seconds (5 to 15) it usually sees that the smartkey is in my pocket and starts up no problem. it has never locked me out completely.

is this normal or should it be addressed?
I think you should at least mention it to the dealer, I don't believe the delay is normal. 15 seconds today, 30 tomorrow, and before you know it... Perhaps it's a weak battery in the remote? I know it's a brand new key fob, but you never know. There is an area under the steering wheel where you can position the key to get the system to recognize it, even with a dead remote battery (details are in the manual, I think.) Does the car register the key right away then?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have never had to put the key under the steering column.

Longest wait about 15sec.

I have had to wait maybe 1 or 2 sec before I was able to open door handles before entering car. I'll switch remotes see if it's the same with both.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone have any updates on this issue at all? I have had my MY2010 for nearly a year and this started about 2 weeks ago. It will not lock, then gives the Smart Key Not Found error. I took it to my dealership who played with it for ages, replaced something (no idea what) and said they redid a software update from last year that should fix the problem. The car then worked fine for 2 days and now it's back to the same state. I cannot lock the car and it will not start unless I place the key under the steering column.

Is there any fix for this?

Cheers

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought these key issues kind of went away with the release of Service Action Q093 last year: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=38239&p=303408 :think: Haven't heard of too many "Smart Key Not Found" message complaints since that bulletin was released, possibly what your dealer is referring to when he talks about reinstalling last year's software... Perhaps your key / battery is just bad. Does it act up with the spare key as well?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
My issue went away but a couple of times that i have gotten the message holding the key under the steering column has fixed it.
I had to have the car towed pre-Q093 once.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have experienced this issue on my 2011 SC RRS as well. In my case discovered that interference from smartphone was the cause. So now, I just make sure my key fob is in my pocket on the opposite side of the smartphone. Try it, maybe it will work for you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
2010-2011 feels like 1994 discovery all over again , car does what it wants works when it wants and rover has no idea how to fix it...just a FYI they dont like blackberries and i-phones, have had issues with the smart phones locking up the infotainment and as you know the whole car is on multiple networks, sooooo when the network goes down or locks up the car turns "stupid"and does what it wants wich is not what you want it to do, so much for technology

·
Registered
325 Posts
SmartMax said:
Have experienced this issue on my 2011 SC RRS as well. In my case discovered that interference from smartphone was the cause. So now, I just make sure my key fob is in my pocket on the opposite side of the smartphone. Try it, maybe it will work for you.
just happened to me for the first time as well. had the key in my coat pocket. put the key underneath the steering column and it started right up

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
83 Posts
My car had been in and out of the shop several times for this issue. Despite my mentioning the above TSB, numerous attempts were made to fix the problem without replacing the keys. I would get this message a few times per week. This never disabled the car, but it would take about 15 seconds before the key was recognized.

Once the keys were replaced, the problem was solved. I haven't seen the message since.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts