RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,

I’ve had the 2010 RRS HSE with LUX package for two weeks now. I love how the car handles. It is a pleasure to drive; spent the first few nights taking the coast road home and driving around downtown.

The electronic / software issues on the other hand, are now making me think this is the Microsoft Vista of automobiles; nothing quite operates the same two times in row. Manufacture date is 09/09.

This is my first LR vehicle, having spent the last 10 years as a Lexus owner, so let me know if my expectations are too high. The systems Test & QA team at my company are top notch… maybe we can loan them to LR for a few weeks.

I have a service appointment coming up and am hoping that all (ok, many) of these issues can be patched / resolved.

Reliably deficient:

1. Navigation language setting does not retain selected language (English (US)). Keeps reverting back to English (UK). Thanks to umbertob, I know this is addressed in a TSB.

Intermittently deficient; all the below issues are intermittent and have occurred at least twice in my two weeks of ownership:

1. Navigation system freezes. Cannot access map screen using either the soft key on the display or hard key (Nav button) on the console. However, can access other menu items (Audio/Video and Phone) via both soft keys and hard keys.

1a. Related to navigation system freeze; if attempting to put car in Reverse while navigation system is frozen, backup camera does not show on the LCD display.

2. Steering wheel setting does not return to stored memory position after starting vehicle. Driver can manually push memory recall button to return steering wheel to memory position.

3. Vehicle does not recognize that the key FOB is outside the vehicle and will not lock when pressing the lock button(s) on the door handle(s). Emits two short beeps (as designed). Can lock using the FOB lock button.

4. Steering wheel phone buttons don’t always work. When starting vehicle, phone (VZW Blackberry Tour) automatically pairs via Bluetooth with vehicle; however driver cannot operate the phone using steering wheel dial / hang-up buttons. Soft buttons on LCD screen work fine. Only solution is to turn off vehicle, exit and lock car, re-enter and restart car (when in doubt… reboot).

5. Climate control system blower control (fan speed dial) does not always light after starting car to indicate blower speed. With Auto climate control “off”, I manually adjust the fan speed to get airflow (hey, it’s 67 F in San Diego… why use the A/C). I have the blower set to position 2 (two speed indicators lit). When I park the vehicle and later return and restart, the blower speed indicator does not light and climate control is NOT in Auto. However, fan speed is clearly up since I can hear it. When I turn the blower control one click to right the fan speed indicator immediately lights up to position 3. Sometimes the blower speed indicator lights up after starting the car, sometimes it doesn’t… sometimes Windows Vista boots properly, sometimes it doesn’t.

Other observations:

1. Daytime Running Lights are not on (CA purchase). I am going to ask the dealer about turning these on. Any pros/cons to think about? I read in another post that dealers charge for this. Really?

2. From reading the posts, it appears that there is no climate control mode that allows non temperature controlled fresh air to enter the car. I am finding that the temperature setting is ALWAYS in effect even if you turn Auto Climate Control off. This is a different convention than my Lexus, forcing me to kind of guess what temp setting gets me closest to outside air.

3. Brakes squeak when backing the car. No squeaks moving forward. Maybe this is just a breaking in issue (no pun intended... ok, maybe a small pun).

·
Registered
221 Posts
Re: MY2010 RRS HSE Lux first two week observations and issues

Most of those sound software related - try getting the dealer to do a software update, I think there has been at least one since your build date of 09/09. The brakes shouldn't make a sound, but that may stop once they've bedded in. Have you let your dealer know of these issues?

The dealers can make or break your LR experience - ask around and make sure you choose the right one!

·
Registered
23 Posts

i'm experiencing similar software issues. specially with my iPhone, it does whatever it wants when I'm receiving incoming phone calls. it's either it works fine, or I have to disconnect the phone and speak into it directly.

I'm also feeling a vibration through my steering wheel when I accelerate hard. I'm interested to know if this is normal. Otherwise car is amazing. hopefully these kinks will subside.

·
Registered
93 Posts

Please keep us posted on how well these get resolved.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
661 Posts

personally and whilst I accept my RR cost 4% of yours and love her to bits, few warts and all, I'd sling the thing back to the supplying dealer and get a 100% refund - Toyota got your Lexus right so why are we spending loads of dosh to develop the car post assembly line - sorry if that annoys the group but his car cost nearly 4 times what my first house cost 20 years ago - we have a daily pop at banks for poor performance.........

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
472 Posts

Agree - the brake squeal when backing up is ridiculous! I have had a few weird electrical issues; a low battery warning and the back-up system beeps somtimes when nothing is around. Dealer did inform me they updated "the car's program" before I took delivery (11/28/09).
Per the other post, I do experience a slight, high frequency vibration in the steering wheel under accleration.

Still quite happy though.....for now....till the wheels fall off. :roll:

·
Registered
93 Posts

Vehicle does not recognize that the key FOB is outside the vehicle and will not lock when pressing the lock button(s) on the door handle(s). Emits two short beeps (as designed). Can lock using the FOB lock button.
This happened to one of the vehicles on my dealers lot when I went to look at it. I came back later and they said it was just due to low battery. Full charge of the batt took care of it. I've read on other posts that a low battery can cause other electrical gremlins. I wonder if maybe your battery is even defective... that happens once in a while on any brand.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts

I am pretty sure there was yet another special service message about the 2010 RRS/LR4 sometimes not recognizing the new "Smart Key" (can't access the GTR right now), if I recall correctly dealers are instructed to perform a hard battery reset first, and if that doesn't work to replace both keys. Land Rover engineering is looking into the problem, blah blah... I'll look it up later on tonight.

Hey, cheer up. At least the 2010 RRS has not been recalled for anything dead serious yet (the 2010 FFRR has been recalled already... NHTSA says the passenger airbag may not deploy in an accident on some of those cars!) :shock:

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts

I checked the SSM. The issue you experience with the key is not quite as described here (your car starts, I assume?), but could be related and indicates a possible problem with the keys originally provided with the cars.

SSM# 42955
Models
LM - New Range Rover
LS - Range Rover Sport
LA - Discovery 4

Title 10MY Smart Key Not Found
Last Modified 03-DEC-2009 07:44
Category Electrical
Symptom 203000 Basic Electrical
Content

Issue
The Ignition will not turn on / Engine will not start and the message 'Smart Key Not Found' is the displayed on the Instrument Pack message centre.

Cause
The problem is identified as Phased Loop Lock-out (PLL), in this scenario the Transmitter within the Smart Key is blocked from making the appropriate transmission to the vehicle. The failure mode is intermittent and therefore it is not always repeatable.

Action
Carry out a battery hard reset, if this does not resolve the issue and no other failure modes are identified with the vehicle, then replace the original two and any subsequent keys the customer has for the vehicle. Updated keys are available, under the following numbers via a Critical Parts Order.

Range Rover and Range Rover Sport.
433 MHz LR020366
315 MHz LR020365

Discovery4 and LR4
433 MHz LR020364
315 MHz LR020363

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

umbertob said:
I checked the SSM. The issue you experience with the key is not quite as described here (your car starts, I assume?), but could be related and indicates a possible problem with the keys originally provided with the cars.
Yes, the car starts. Have had no problems in that area, thankfully. But good related point on the key issue. I will point this out to the service manager when I get there.

Thanks for the many suggestions. I'm taking notes on everything and will walk into the maintenance discussion with a small binder. :thumb:

The only true inconvenience is that I purchased the vehicle from an LA dealer, but live in SD. For these many post buy issues, I prefer to take to the selling dealer.

Will definitely enumerate what I learn and full outcome here.

scimitargtc, the idea has crossed my mind. I'm not giving up on the car just yet, but if the issues continue, I may press for something more dramatic than a fancied up pit stop.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

umbertob said:
Hey, cheer up. At least the 2010 RRS has not been recalled for anything dead serious yet (the 2010 FFRR has been recalled already... NHTSA says the passenger airbag may not deploy in an accident on some of those cars!) :shock:
Wow! I'll say! Staying optimistic. Drinks help. Good thing Tiger wasn't speeding away in an FFRR.

·
Registered
50 Posts

Well you can never compare a Land Rover with a Lexus lets start by that.

I had my 2010 Range Rover Sport S/C at the dealer yesturday and that made a recall on a seat track and updated some issues that the senors had in the suspension.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Glad to know I'm not the only one!!! Wow. When I accelerate, I feel vibrations in the steering wheel and the gas pedal. NOT what I should feel in a $60K plus car. My LR2 never had these problems. And yes, when I back up, the brakes squeek. Very interesting and not compelling to know that this is a problem not directly associated with my car. I'm bringing it in tomorrow after having it for 2 weeks. I don't have high hopes knowing that this problem exists in other cars.

I got out of my last Range Rover under the lemon law. I hope this isn't going to happen again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Took the vehicle into the dealer from which I purchased. I had documented all the above issues in an email to them prior so it would not be the first time they had seen the list when I went in. Well, when I went in, no one could find my email. Figures.

They had the vehicle a bit over 4 hours and called me to say they were done. Explained that a software update fixed most the issues. Unfortunately, not the case. Here is the scorecard so far.

I have another service appointment with a different dealer next week. Will update again after.

Reliably deficient:

1. Navigation language setting does not retain selected language (English (US)). Keeps reverting back to English (UK).

NOT fixed. Well, despite providing the TSB number and discussing it with the Service Rep, who said he had not heard of this (read this forum), the issue was not fixed.

Intermittently deficient; all the below issues are intermittent and have occurred at least twice in my two weeks of ownership:

1. Navigation system freezes. Cannot access map screen using either the soft key on the display or hard key (Nav button) on the console. However, can access other menu items (Audio/Video and Phone) via both soft keys and hard keys.

NOT fixed. Still freezes, but since the English (UK) issue was not fixed, I’m not convinced the appropriate patch to the Nav system was done.

2. Steering wheel setting does not return to stored memory position after starting vehicle. Driver can manually push memory recall button to return steering wheel to memory position.

NOT fixed. Was working great until today. Issue showed up again.

3. Vehicle does not recognize that the key FOB is outside the vehicle and will not lock when pressing the lock button(s) on the door handle(s). Emits two short beeps (as designed). Can lock using the FOB lock button.

FIXED. Well... seems to be fixed. Have not seen this happen again... but wait! A new issue has cropped up which I will append to the end of this summary.

4. Steering wheel phone buttons don’t always work. When starting vehicle, phone (VZW Blackberry Tour) automatically pairs via Bluetooth with vehicle; however driver cannot operate the phone using steering wheel dial / hang-up buttons. Soft buttons on LCD screen work fine. Only solution is to turn off vehicle, exit and lock car, re-enter and restart car (when in doubt… reboot).

NOT fixed. This happened 3 times today in the course of doing last minute Christmas shopping (next year... the web).

5. Climate control system blower control (fan speed dial) does not always light after starting car to indicate blower speed. With Auto climate control “off”, I manually adjust the fan speed to get airflow (hey, it’s 67 F in San Diego… why use the A/C). I have the blower set to position 2 (two speed indicators lit). When I park the vehicle and later return and restart, the blower speed indicator does not light and climate control is NOT in Auto. However, fan speed is clearly up since I can hear it. When I turn the blower control one click to right the fan speed indicator immediately lights up to position 3. Sometimes the blower speed indicator lights up after starting the car, sometimes it doesn’t… sometimes Windows Vista boots properly, sometimes it doesn’t.

NOT fixed: However, I am beginning to think this is not a bug but rather a design issue. I have noticed that the above issue occurs consistently when switching from Auto mode to manual (Auto climate off). When I turn off Auto mode, the fan is still running, but the fan speed indicator lights do not light until I manually turn the speed knob. Then they light. Because it happens consistently, I am beginning to think it is working as designed.

Other observations:

1. Daytime Running Lights are not on (CA purchase). I am going to ask the dealer about turning these on.

Asked about this. Service Manager said this is not an option for any US market RRS '10's; that the software doesn’t even allow them to do this. Hmm. I thought I read somewhere on the forum that RRS 2010’s in other states have them on. Will need to check.

3. Brakes squeak when backing the car. No squeaks moving forward. Maybe this is just a breaking in issue (no pun intended... ok, maybe a small pun).

I mentioned this to them. They said they would take a look. They did. The brakes still squeak in the initial application going in reverse, after release of the electronic parking brake. No squeaks after the initial application.

NEW: has this happened to anyone?
Went to the car to grab some papers I left on the passenger seat. With key FOB in my pocket, I went to front passenger door and pulled on handle. The door unlocked and opened... and the car alarm went off. Nice. So clearly, the car recognized the key and unlocked, but did not disarm. Just add it to the above list of issues.

Every time I drive the vehicle it seems, the gremlins offer something new. Starting to get a bit tiresome. The regret is building. @ Taurian... may need your advice on the lemon law route, but still holding out hope for issues to be fixed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Taurian said:
When I accelerate, I feel vibrations in the steering wheel and the gas pedal.
I don't notice vibrations in the steering wheel, but I do feel a very high vibration almost grinding-like feedback in the gas pedal. I figured it was just the way RRS' accelerate.

·
Registered
221 Posts

Looks like your dealer didn't do a thing. A different dealer will be able to tell you when ths software was last upgraded.

Also, you can enable the DRLs.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Can anybody confirm on the running lights issue? To me its really important. any information on how to have the LED on please share

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Got the RRS back from the second dealer. They could not find a single thing wrong with it and could not duplicate any of the intermittent issues (I understand how difficult such things are to troubleshoot).

They couldn't even find a fix for the English (UK) bug even though I provided the TSB number I found on the forum. The service manager said it was an "invalid number"... whatever that means. He was a bit dismissive about the forum saying that sometimes information on “those forums” is often hearsay. The service manager explained that the service technician even tried all the existing RRS 2010’s in the lot and they all behaved the same way… reverting back to English UK when you turn the engine off. So… it’s not a bug… it’s a feature.

However, when I pressed him on the many common issues, he admitted that many of the service personnel were just getting up to speed on the RRS 2010 models and were not familiar with all the problems. Other than the dismissing the forum a bit, the service manager was very polite and professional.

The service manager suggested that the next time an intermittent issue crops up, if convenient, drive immediately to the dealership and not turn the vehicle off (since doing so resets the fault register). They will plug in the diagnostic equipment to see if they can isolate.

atking23, yes, Daytime Running Lights can be activated. When I brought the car in, they said there would be a fee. Since they were unable to fix any of the issues, they activated the Daytime Running Lights gratis. Of course, when I went to check out, the cashier tried to charge me. When I told him that it was gratis, he had to confirm. Once confirmed, the cashier attributed it to a “data entry error”.

Car was working great with no electronic issues for a week… then tonight, leaving work, got into car and noticed that the seat seemed awfully close to the steering wheel… and that the steering wheel did not move back into position. Pushed the driving position memory recall. Significant movement to restore to my preferred position (which was in place when I drove in this morning). It’s as if Goldilocks snuck into the car and drove around. Weird one.

Am starting to accept that if I want to drive a LR, will have to live with electronic gremlins. Mechanically, car is working well and continues to be a pleasure to drive.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts

Indeed, LRNA has pulled TSB # LTB000240 (the Revert to UK English navigation bug) from the GTR... As of this week, it's no longer listed among their published bulletins. I think they rushed out a software fix that wasn't working either, so they are going back to the drawing board, and calling the bug a "feature" in the meantime. :? Imagine how much they must love that feature in non-English speaking countries!

·
Registered
115 Posts

Tbone, you sure you didn't use the other key and have lazy entry on?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts