RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just pickup a 2010 Nara Bronze RRS HSE and I have seen a few other members that have painted the lower grey 'platstic' body trim to match that of the car color. Just had a shop look at it for an estimate and he said would not recommended it as the paint would have a very tough time sticking to the grey plastic molding / body trim parts (eg: below the doors). Any tips, thoughts and experiences? Love the look, just didn't know if this were true or some other prep work / parts that needed to be done / purchased. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi had all my exterior plastics sprayed on my p38 my mate who did the job just cleaned them all off with thinners then gave them a good spray with plasticoat then put the top colour on and laqured it made a great job been on a year now no peeling/flaky paint or anything hope this helps rgds neil

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
It can be done and it should last, but the shop needs to properly sand - to smoothen the textured surface - clean and seal the trim before painting (paint with flex agents should be used on these trim pieces as they may crack and peel off otherwise.) If properly done, it's not an inexpensive paint job. Several forum members have color coded that trim and will hopefully chime in. I limited myself to painting door handles, side vent surrounds and lower liftgate trim back in 2006... :D But besides a couple of nicks on two handles (probably caused by flying stones) nothing has flaked or peeled off yet.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
260 Posts
Had all mine done when I first picked up my 2010. Biggest improvement in looks you can do to the car. Where are you located so that way we can help you find a good shop.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the replies and recommendations. Very helpful. I'm in Northern Calif, so the San Francisco area or Sacramento area. Looks you might be in So Cal. TriGem or ?

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
260 Posts
Yeah I'm in Socal. A buddy of mine had his Porsche painted somewhere in SacTown. They did a great job, I can find out who did it if you like.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi ttalone, can you post pictures of your car? I have the same exterior on order. I agree that this enhancement, including the doors handles adds lot to the overall look of the car.

Anyone know a good painting sources in Washington DC area who can do this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Greetings. I'm having the lower front/side/rear trim on a white 2011 RR Sport painted this October, when it arrives. No question...it will dramatically improves the look, though I do want to put the stock side steps onto the vehicle. I'm sort of hoping the sidestep helps out during car washes. I ask Flagship to turn on the coir (coconut) fiber rotating brush to clean my 2008 RR. The brush does a great job on the rims, however, I'd be worried it would fleck the Sport's lower trim.

I figure on flatbedding it right from the dealership to the body shop in Bethesda on Woodmont Avenue.

·
Registered
57 Posts
EricInBethesda said:
Greetings. I'm having the lower front/side/rear trim on a white 2011 RR Sport painted this October, when it arrives. No question...it will dramatically improves the look, though I do want to put the stock side steps onto the vehicle. I'm sort of hoping the sidestep helps out during car washes. I ask Flagship to turn on the coir (coconut) fiber rotating brush to clean my 2008 RR. The brush does a great job on the rims, however, I'd be worried it would fleck the Sport's lower trim.

I figure on flatbedding it right from the dealership to the body shop in Bethesda on Woodmont Avenue.
what's up Eric,I'm in Rockville.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts