RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:lol: I saw this supplement while browsing the owner info web site, it made me chuckle... I could swear that file wasn't there a couple of months ago, roughly when the Toyota story started to make the nightly news.

Attachments

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
472 Posts
I tried it today and it works like a champ...a little nerve racking when the steering tightens up but it works! Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Don't be so sure this works. Have you ever had the 'Blue Screen of Death' on your computer and even Control-Alt-Del doesn't work? Only turning off the whole thing with the power switch shuts it down.
Programs run in a loop. The processor scans the firmware loop many time a second. In a car, one of the things it scans is the 'On-Off' button. When the computer gets to an instruction that requires service, it puts a marker in the loop and goes to run that branch. The branch finishes with a return statement which puts the processor back in the main loop where the marker is and removes the marker. The processor continues around the loop to the end then restarts. The computer 'hangs' when something keeps the processor from returning to the main loop.
If the "Service 'ON_OFF'" button is down the loop, the processor may never see it if it is hung up somewhere.
In some reports, people have put there Toyota’s in Reverse or even park with no effect. This is because the shift selector is not connected to the transmission. The processor reads the position of the shift lever as one of the services in the main loop. Obviously, the processor, being hung up, will not put the trany in neutral, rev, park or change anything if the processor doesn't know about it. Similarly, since the accelerator is not connected to the throttle, ( a servo is used to move the throttle in the air intake) pulling up on the accelerator would not help.
The best fix for all this is a key switch which interrupts power to the processor. Our older cars have this. I don’t see what is so great about a button. Similarly a switch can initiate a hardwired interrupt. We do not use Windows type computers in Toxic or Flammable gas applications for the reason that they don't have hardware interrupts. A hung computer with toxics flowing would be a very effective killing device.
If you have a vehicle with a push button 'ON_OFF' please pre-think what you would do if you can't turn it off. Maybe on this board we can generate some effective maneuvers or suggestions.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Question: When my computer(s) freeze or has issues and nothing will function, holding the power button in for three seconds always work in shutting it down (on every computer i have owend, mac or pc). It’s like a master override regardless of the problem.

Does the “Start / Stop” button not work in the same way … hold it in and regardless it will simply cut power to the entire system?

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
472 Posts
bop08 said:
Don't be so sure this works. Have you ever had the 'Blue Screen of Death' on your computer and even Control-Alt-Del doesn't work? Only turning off the whole thing with the power switch shuts it down.
Programs run in a loop. The processor scans the firmware loop many time a second. In a car, one of the things it scans is the 'On-Off' button. When the computer gets to an instruction that requires service, it puts a marker in the loop and goes to run that branch. The branch finishes with a return statement which puts the processor back in the main loop where the marker is and removes the marker. The processor continues around the loop to the end then restarts. The computer 'hangs' when something keeps the processor from returning to the main loop.
If the "Service 'ON_OFF'" button is down the loop, the processor may never see it if it is hung up somewhere.
In some reports, people have put there Toyota’s in Reverse or even park with no effect. This is because the shift selector is not connected to the transmission. The processor reads the position of the shift lever as one of the services in the main loop. Obviously, the processor, being hung up, will not put the trany in neutral, rev, park or change anything if the processor doesn't know about it. Similarly, since the accelerator is not connected to the throttle, ( a servo is used to move the throttle in the air intake) pulling up on the accelerator would not help.
The best fix for all this is a key switch which interrupts power to the processor. Our older cars have this. I don’t see what is so great about a button. Similarly a switch can initiate a hardwired interrupt. We do not use Windows type computers in Toxic or Flammable gas applications for the reason that they don't have hardware interrupts. A hung computer with toxics flowing would be a very effective killing device.
If you have a vehicle with a push button 'ON_OFF' please pre-think what you would do if you can't turn it off. Maybe on this board we can generate some effective maneuvers or suggestions.
Did you hear that......that was the execs at Toyota letting out a collective sigh that you do not own a Prius........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts