RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
SUPER MODERATOR
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY18+ RR & RRS marketed as AWD not Permanent 4WD - discuss

Does anyone have any details on the change in marketing materials from Permanant 4WD to AWD for the 2018+ L405 & L494. Even the 2019 Discovery has a page about Permanent 4WD but then lists it as AWD in the feature break down.

Was there an actual technical change? How different is AWD vs 4WD?

Is it purely marketing because AWD focus groups better? Does it soften the concept of Range Rover?

Does it even matter?

Can the Range Rover still be validly called the Best 4X4XFar?

And while I did mention the Discover & Range Rover Sport above, this is specific to Range Rover proper and not the Velar, Evoque or Discovery Sport.

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Re: MY18+ RR & RRS marketed as AWD not Permanent 4WD - discu

this is a good summary and explanation: https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/awd-vs-4wd-whats-the-difference-and-which-to-choose.html
I've seen it elsewhere, too: 4WD is the old-school, traditional truck that's anything but hipster.
Given that I don't think anything changed on our cars, I'd vote for the marketing department's score here. They're trying to make the Range Rover cool to those who semi-research this subject.

Oh and therefore, it so doesn't matter.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
276 Posts

In the old day there was two wheel drive and then you could pull a lever or push a button than you would have 4wd. Not see easy to say that today, The land rovers today are 4wd and Awd all at the same time. They now use abs brakes torque vectoring and traction control with several other electronic control to distribute the torque to the wheel that are needed for grip. where in the old formats you would lock the transfer case and both front and rear axles would distribute torque equally to the wheels now there are electronic differentials.

Basically She still is a 4wd but does so with alot of electronic monitoring to move the torque to the wheel that need it. Yes very confusing so that is why Yes its so much easier for the marking to lean towards AWD it plays much better on the current market seeing that ever manufacture is advertising there vehicles as awd it is a smart play to maintain off road performance and just call it awd.

To answer your question nothing really had changed from 2017 to now just the way they market it.

·
Registered
2019 Range Rover Sport SCV8 ATB (L494)
183 Posts

Ha thanks - most of those questions were rhetorical, just hoping to start a discussion beyond the norm.

I do find the softening of the brand a little worrying myself.
I wouldn't worry about it. With the Defender coming back soon the brand is about to get "re-hardened".

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts

Do the electric vehicles have permanent 4wd?
there's only the hybrids so far (unless you count the i-pace), and they do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts