RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not kidding. Apparently not all that uncommon either. There's no way a 27mm or tire iron will fit over the stainless steel caps anymore (they used to.) Probably the nut underneath is swollen with rust, due to months of salt on the road.

My next step will be finding 26mm and 28 mm sockets. If the 28mm socket doesn't work I can always pry off the caps and try a 26mm socket or smaller. I'll postpone flat tires until then. `)

Does anybody know what size the nut is underneath the ss cap?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yep mine have done the same, not all but it is still a pain, who said it's good to have big nuts... `)

Sid.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should've said 'OMG my nuts have grown!'. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
I have encountered several P38a's with the same problem, some nuts require a 28 socket.
Instead of just throwing them away, I've put 5 on the same wheel and made sure there's always a socket 28 in the car (I use a prybar with socket instead of a wheelwrench anyway).

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,491 Posts
My nuts have grown too ;)
You didn't get it, it's an anti thief device from Land Rover. The guy using a standard tool will pass his way `)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dutchfrompredator said:
i only leave my nuts hand-tight though! :dance:
That's all you can achieve, 'cause 1 1/4" woulde be about 32mm. ;)

I guess a 1 1/8" socket (29mm) would be a better size, but I don't even know if that exists.

·
Registered
494 Posts
i gotta look. i leave the socket in my spare well in case i have to get one off that's mangled. my gut is that you're right and it's a 1 1/8". i was joking about the hand-tight part. i only use it for removal before replacement with a good one.
i only do hand-tight on the steering and braking components b/c those don't matter! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL `)

·
Registered
541 Posts
Anybody have a good source for replacement lugs or just caps? I'm sure the dealer will want a pretty penny.

I was doing an all 4 wheels brake job yesterday and I have one lug that is just about round, probably from the prior owner or mechanic being a little too enthusiastic with the impact gun.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,755 Posts
Chris X said:
Anybody have a good source for replacement lugs or just caps?
Rovers North and AB both sell the caps. If the htreads on you nuts are good just give the outter surfaces a wire brush and coating of paint before installing the new caps.

·
Registered
541 Posts
:thumb:

Thank ya Sir!

I have to order a new passenger side manifold, so may as well add a few lugs or caps to the order.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rrtoadhall said:
pry the caps off, clean up your nuts and replace the caps. :doh:
Not when they bloody welded themselves to the nuts. :x

Still,
rrtoadhall said:
Rovers North and AB both sell the caps.
you're the man! :thumb:

Thx,
Barge pilot

·
Registered
541 Posts
Jeez! I might just go ahead and take the lazy route and buy a few extra complete lugs with caps. That looks like a PITA! I got enough other work to do on this beast.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In the end it wasn't too bad. Nut in vise, hammer old screw driver through cap, peel off cap with beefy pliers. The barge spent a night on axle stands while the paint on her nuts dried. ;)

The optional anti-gravity field. :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts