RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 34 years of 4WD ownership, I finally have a vehicle that I can comfortably stay in. I picked up my Sportsmobile last week in Fresno, and drove 1000 miles through the Sierra and Inyo Mountains finding remote areas to camp on it's maiden voyage home to Santa Barbara. What a pleasure! In January, I sold my '97 Disco to a friend in Bishop, while continuing to enjoy my RR Sport I had for a year already. I needed something in an off-roader to support my interests in photography, four wheeling and seeking real isolation. Since I am now closer to 60 than 50, I could stand a bit of comfort. This is it.

This van is very well set up both in off-road capability and interior comfort. The 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel drives an Atlas transfer case to a Ford limited slip rear and a Dynatrac Roc 60 Front axle with ARB Locker, disconnecting sway bar, OME shocks, and BFG 35" AT's. Underframe is a 46 gallon fuel tank, Extreme Air Magnum w/ 2.5 gal. tank, Amsoil two stage oil filtration, an AMG 4D 220 amp house battery (in addition to the two engine batteries) fed by two Solara solar panels and Blue Sky controller, feeding a 2K watt inverter. I chose to be propane free, and have both an Espar Diesel furnace and coolant pre-heater that provides hot water thru a heat exchanger. I use a small portable butane single burner stove and 700 w. microwave oven, and a 12v. fridge. The full length pop up penthouse top sleeps two with another couple on the convertible gaucho/bed below. A Kenwood 7100 audio system, DVD, navigation, satelite radio, bluetooth and iPod integration, rounds out the electronics. There's a ton more stuff on this rig that I won't list now. I've since installed two pairs of PIAA's in the front bumper holes. I still have the Sport, too! Life is good.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Pretty sweet!!! :)

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Well done Jeffrey, what a great traveling office/home for your hobby and for just getting away from it all. I like the glove too, very classy. :D

Glad you kept the Sport, though.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,461 Posts
Excellent setup there Jeffrey...I notice you have the Mojave Color Coding scheme already in progress!

Solar panels...that's amazing...

Can't wait to see some more of the pictures!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,461 Posts
Jeffrey,

Is that long black tube on the roof a retractable awning?

How high is the water mark on the van, i.e. what is the wading depth - any need for a snorkel?

There was a short article on the Sportsmobile convention in Overland Journal recently I think...seems like it has its club following too... :D

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Paul, yes it is a Fiamma awning. Haven't opened it yet!

The clearance on this rig is tremendous. The air intake is about 4 to 5 feet off the ground. The door sills are 26" from the ground.

I could almost fit my Sport underneath this thing, in access mode, of course.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts