RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trucks two quarts + down after 3k miles of severe driving on LA roads...

I'm using Castrol synthetic 5w 30 but I'm coming down below the minimum fill line after 3-4 k miles of heavy duty bumper to bumper traffic and heavy gas pedal going 80+ on the freeways sometimes wot in Los Angeles.

2006 HSE non supercharged. 104,000 miles. No oil leaks. No smoke out of the tail pipes.

Should I switch to regular oil? High mileage stuff? Thicker weight synthetic? Thicker weight regular?
I hope this ain't a war between the synths and the Dino's. Just some good advice would help me get to the (UGS) Umberto gold standard of 200k!

Thanks.

Mark

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Re: My trucks two quarts + down after 3k miles of severe driving on LA roads...

Stick with synthetic with the traffic and heat that you deal with there(or here for that matter)

But I agree with PCV valve.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

Stick with synthetic with the traffic and heat that you deal with there(or here for that matter)

But I agree with PCV valve.
True dat. A trip around the DC beltway during rush hr will rival anything that the 5, 405 or 101 can throw at you.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

I have a new respect for you Dave.

DC Beltway = Long Island Expressway while wearing nipple clamps

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts

Never been on the Long Island Expressway, but it sounds sexy.

To digress, OP, replace the PCV valve and see if it clears up.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts

I'll take the LIE over the DC beltway. Lived in NYC and PA...now DFW, where we get on tollway and sit in traffic during rush hour.

How can a PCV valve account for that much loss in fluid? He would be seeing smoke right if it was the PCV ..to loose that much oil. Possibly incorrectly measured when oil was 1st put in or a leak?

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts

Seeing smoke on a failing, or partially failed PCV valve can be very driving dependent. For example, if too much is getting through at low loads(sitting in traffic) and slowly being burnt, along with a little staying static in the intake, it can clear up as soon as you go WOT, and move some air through there, which may or may not give noticeable smoke when going down the road. But then part throttle until shutting it off when at home, doesn't allow for any build up.

It's far from exact, but yeah, three basic options are;

Not enough oil put in at last service(including checking after putting it in either before starting the engine and filling the filter/passages, or checking hot then, and cold now)

Oil leaking out somewhere, but not to the ground due to undertray.

Oil entering the intake and leaving through the exhaust.

With the price of the PCV valve, and it's tendency to fail(even if just partially) I would throw one at it, and go from there, with checking the level regularly, but not topping off until down to Min if it is still going away to see the mileage vs consumption.

Other possible issues include something causing too much to go through the PCV valve, such as too high oil temp, or aeration for some reason.

But yes, generally there would be smoke for that much lost, but also a complete failure of the PCV can easily cause a qt loss in 100 miles, with smoke billowing from the exhaust.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

True dat. A trip around the DC beltway during rush hr will rival anything that the 5, 405 or 101 can throw at you.
You must have visited Dante's hell if you the names of our freeways and how to pronounce them Gooseyloosey!

Guys thanks for the advice. Gooses 2 hour tune up will be done this weekend. I will check back my results after that. I will stick with synthetic cause of the heat.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts

Yes. Middle of the gauge is correct.

There's a MAX because overfull is actually worse for the engine then underfull, really anywhere on the gauge is acceptable, but try to stay around center.

On the 10-13 make sure to check it after the engine has only been running for a minute, then you need to pop the hood, and wait ~10 minutes for it to show you an accurate level.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

So Mark1107, any update on current consumption?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I did your world famous 2 hour tune up! I changed the PVC valve....I just got an oil change two weeks ago and... I will check my oil in the morning and get back to you if I've been consuming any! Just wanted to say thanks Gooseyloosey. My rig has been running better since the tune up.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

Glad it went well, and hopefully the oil issue has become a non-issue. :thumb:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Hey Gooseyloosey, I'm only down maybe a third a quart of oil if that! I think it was the PVC valve. Thank you for the help.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

Glad its better but are you reading the level consistently? i.e., with the car parked on an incline one time, or hot vs. cold, or before the filter is full after an oil change? I'm just asking because 1/3 of a Qt in 2 weeks is a bit much. That would leave you down 1 Qt every 6 weeks if my math is correct. Or maybe you drive ALOT in 2 weeks?

Mine might burn a 1/4 of a Qt in 10,000 miles, if that.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

It's the first time I checked it. I'll try again this weekend. I'll also try when it's cold. Last time was a little warm.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Well I rechecked the oil today and I'm completely full after putting about 1000 miles on my rig in two weeks. So I don't think I'm using any. Thanks Gooseyloosey for the help.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts