RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we are getting ready to go on a trip and running a little late I wanted to check to see if I left my sunglasses in the RR. As soon as I opened the door and was blown over by a smell I realized there was a collapsed carton of milk on the rear floor board. My guess it had been in there about 2 day in the garage with the heat index in the 100's. I put the windows down and soaked up the mess best I could.

I must add, someone has been putting their trash in our trash cans outside the garage lets call her M-i-L. This is not regular trash but, stuff most would put down the disposal or atleast seal in a bag. Why do I tell you this? She left the garage door slightly open and I came back a few days later open the door to find the floor of my RR covered in........maggots (and probably about 50 flies collected on the passange side corner between the dash and windshield). So I vaccum up all the maggots and start the cleaning process. Febreze, odo-ban, coffee, baking soda, lysol, vinegar and some odor stick thing. Trouble is the weather has been hot rainy and humid.

Finally today the sun is out so I open all the windows and go for a spin. I hapily passed a dead skunk on the road hoping to get some of the skunk smell in the car it must be better! I drive about 10 miles trying not to puke. Got back and pull up the driver mat to discover about 50 maggots. So i go to get the vac. and realized maggots are collecting under the tire marks of where the truck was parked.

My question - there is a terrible smell coming from the vents and the car was never on when the smell was strongest. I'm worried there may be some maggots in the vents. Could this be possible and is there a way to get in there and check.

No it was not me who left the milk in the truck and thankfully I have other cars to drive.

·
Registered
35 Posts
In my experience, a smell that bad plus maggots means that something has crawled in there and died. Mice maybe? This happened to my daughter's car one year when she stored it at our country place. Mice nested in the ventilation fan housing. It wasn't pretty.

I think it's worth poking around in the HVAC system to see, even if it costs you some time or money. If something has died in there, the smell won't go away any other way.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I seem to recall some sort of aerosol canister one could release in one's vehicle with the HVAC system running full bore on recirculate that would essensially nuke anything that lives in the HVAC system. I'd give something like that a try. With the symptoms you describe, I'd want to be 100% sure, though. More invasive measures might be required.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did a litte more exploring the smell is definately from the vents and not the floor where the milk was spilled. Perhapse something smelled the milk and tried to get into the truck. Thanks for the replies i will make some calls tomorrow and see if I can find someone with the HVAC cleaning system.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi,

I have found that with maggota and carpet, you can clean them all up and then more emerge out of the pile after you have gone. I had this happen once after the cat brought a bird inside and left it hidden under the stereo. The maggots just kept reappering for ages. In the end I sprayed the carpet with flyspray and they all rushed out ASAP and died soon after. Then a quick vacuum and they were all gone. So if they are coming up from your carpet, this may help.

Cheers,
Damo.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took it to the stealer today. Does anyone know if there is a passage from the front vents to the rear driver side US where the cd and dvd are? The smell has extended to there. Not sure if another animal or just the stench from the front

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update. The dealer said I must have run over some type of large animal like a rat or something. Said it will cost about 5k to repair. Normally this would piss me off but insurance is going to cover it. All I hope is that all ordor is gone when I and if I get her back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts