RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight when I got in my truck I turned the key and the starter cranked until I finally shut the key off... I waited a few seconds, then it started right up. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
952 Posts
I've had this problem for 4 years and they've never been able to fix it. The get around is to turn the key on, wait a second, and then crank it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
remington said:
I've had this problem for 4 years and they've never been able to fix it. The get around is to turn the key on, wait a second, and then crank it.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
It is very good practise to ALWAYS turn the key of first wait for the lights to go out in Driver Display and then Crank the Car.

Having owned many Diesels and V8's it has become second nature to me as with the Diesels you need to wait for the fuel/injectors warm up light to go off.
With V8's you wait for the pre-start check to complete before cranking.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
237 Posts
In my previous car (Discovery 3/LR3) one had to wait for a bong before crank, something to do with the computer booting, warmup, etc... This took between 5-15 seconds...

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1,108 Posts
I have noticed the same, if I turn the key to quickly, the engine imobilizer check sequence fails. I will then have to completely turn the key off and then turn to the II position and wait for a count to 2, listen for the keylock to disengage, dash bong and then try the crank again.

It worries me a bit. The vehicle history reports seveal complaints to the dealer about this problem.Of course the standard dealer response of "could not replicate at this time" was always thrown down on the service record.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
When you first jump in the car sometimes you notice that the nav screen hasn’t booted up yet, other times its on as soon as the door is opened. As others have mentioned, it's all down to the various computers start up sequence. As they are all linked, if one takes a while to boot because it was thinking about something when it was shut down etc then you may just be turning your key before the ECU thought about squirting any fuel in there.

I generally wait a few seconds, but that's left over behaviour from the P38 where I used to leave the key in the ign until the ABS pump got up to pressure. Those who have gone from Diesels often leave it a few seconds before turning the key. On the other hand I jump in a diesel and crank strait away and then remember it has a process.

Either way, keep an eye on it. If it starts happening more frequently report back and we'll go from there.

Dan

·
Registered
116 Posts
That's interesting. Mine did the same thing today except it would not fire at all. I drove to a meeting with no problems at all. Then I returned about an hour later and put the key in the ignition as always and it started, ran for about 2 seconds then quit. After that it would crank, maybe hit on one cylinder for one split second then just cranking. So I had the truck flat bedded to the dealer. I guess I will find out what's happening on Monday. Feels like no fuel to me but we'll see.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well actually when I was trying to start it (multiple tries) I did put the key in, then waited then turned the key. Would not fire. But, earlier in the day I thought the key did not unlock the passenger door on the second press of the unlock button on the key. So while truck was running and key obviously in the ignition I pressed the unlock button a few times. Nothing happened but the drivers door was open. I then closed the drivers door and hit the unlock button on the dash and the passenger door unlocked so I thought: when the driver's door is open and the truck is running you can't unlock the other doors. No big deal but maybe in some way this is related to the key not working properly now. I think I will try to start the truck with the spare key to see if anything happens.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Dave S said:
Well actually when I was trying to start it (multiple tries) I did put the key in, then waited then turned the key. Would not fire. But, earlier in the day I thought the key did not unlock the passenger door on the second press of the unlock button on the key. So while truck was running and key obviously in the ignition I pressed the unlock button a few times. Nothing happened but the drivers door was open. I then closed the drivers door and hit the unlock button on the dash and the passenger door unlocked so I thought: when the driver's door is open and the truck is running you can't unlock the other doors. No big deal but maybe in some way this is related to the key not working properly now. I think I will try to start the truck with the spare key to see if anything happens.
Maybe re=program both keys to reset them to the car.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
My '03 did this a couple of times when I first got it. I've done a lot of debugging around then, mostly power-related (battery) for the electrical gremlins. I do remember that I also introduced a new key to the Rover around that time too. I reprogrammed both old & new key & haven't noticed it since (< 2 years)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm amazed that this is such a common problem. It makes me feel better though!

·
Registered
116 Posts
OK dealer just informed me the problem is the fuel pump needs replacing. The part is on back order and I will find out tomorrow how long it will really take to get a new one. Seems odd that a part like that would be hard to source. Wouldn't you think they have spare fuel pumps somewhere around. I mean the 4.4L is in many Landrover vehicles right?

·
Registered
952 Posts
AAD said:
I'm amazed that this is such a common problem. It makes me feel better though!
I know, when I think of all the times I've had to wait one second before cranking, I'd have like 5 minutes extra tacked onto the end of my life :) Seriously, it is annoying though.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Dealer just called. Note, I am second owner of vehicle and my dealer sees in the records that the fuel pump was replaced under warranty previously. The dealer went to test the pump again and when they attached the test equipment the pump fired up. This leads them to believe the power connector to the pump was not properly seated because now the pump is fine. I will take the truck back tomorrow and hopefully this is the end of the problem. It does make me wonder if that connector is less than ideal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts