RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
After search every available option in the market around my town/country I get tired of overpriced roof baskets and to little choice so I decided to do my own rack :think:

3 days of hard work with limited tools have passed and this "thing" it looks like this :)

a couple of days more and is ready for painting, time is now my biggest problem... :dance:

Regards

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
SERSAN said:
Hi,
After search every available option in the market around my town/country I get tired of overpriced roof baskets and to little choice so I decided to do my own rack :think:

3 days of hard work with limited tools have passed and this "thing" it looks like this :)

a couple of days more and is ready for painting, time is now my biggest problem... :dance:

Regards
Well done Sersan but add some cross bar at the rear for additionnal strength. Copy the SD from beginning to end :dance:

And don't forget the wind deflector.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Good stuff! :thumb:
The brackets on the front are for...lights?
Am particularly interested in how you might intend attaching it to the roof tracks...have you a design for roof clamps?
looking forward to an update
cheers

ps presuming from the photo you used stainless steel? is that MIG, TIG or stick welded?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

This is a "on going" project, is not finished yet, I will add cross bars (5 at all from the end of sunroof, 2 are already there) and another 2 pipes side by side with the sunroof from the 1st cross bar connecting to the front, I will add 1 or 2 back work light spots, and a final bar on top that is not there yet :)
Any other idea or something that i'm forgeting of?

Regards,
P.S.: And in the final it will be mounted a raised air intake exactly like yours but with a safari top head.... where do I get this ideas... I can´t figure it out.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Hoges,

Unfortunatelly is not stainless steel.. and unfortunatelly is being welded with sticks.. (a very good exercise... in this thin pipe, just try it you will love it loooooool With this I convinced the wife that buying a MIG welder was a question of life or dead :dance: :lol: ) Like I earlier said, "with limited tools" loooool
Well the bracket are simple, after I try to figure it out and design the brackets that are here in rrnet for sometime I discover something much more cheaper and easy to do, I will test them and then I post here the result, if it works.. :)
Yes the brackets in front are for the spot lights.

Regards,

·
Registered
922 Posts
:thumb: thanks

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hmm... Well, what about a high lift jack mount? If no rock sliders or aftermarket bumpers as jacking points, at least you can lift from the hitch, use the wheel Jack adapter, works as a come-a-long as well. Looks cool to boot.
And while we are at it, I'd like some 5 gallon mounts on there, one for gas and one for water.
How's that? ;)

Oh, almost forgot. Tabs to attach the limb risers to coming from the front brush guard. That'll work!

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
ikoinu said:
Hmm... Well, what about a high lift jack mount? If no rock sliders or aftermarket bumpers as jacking points, at least you can lift from the hitch, use the wheel Jack adapter, works as a come-a-long as well. Looks cool to boot.
And while we are at it, I'd like some 5 gallon mounts on there, one for gas and one for water.
How's that? ;)

Oh, almost forgot. Tabs to attach the limb risers to coming from the front brush guard. That'll work!
Do not forget a tab for the GPS antenna or the car computer antenna

·
Registered
533 Posts
Yes, good thinking Turbo. A tab for the gps antenna, and the car computer antenna.
And a tab for a can of Tab. Nothing like pink soda.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi all,
1 more weekend and 1 more time I was around my project, unfortunatelly it was raining all the time...

I already weld all the structure, I placed a piece for the rear working light, for now I don´t want to install antennas on the rack, I already have a mount on the rear door for the CB and the GPS is on the front windscreen, see if you can found it :)

Front top look:

Rear top Look:

1st look on the RR (still missing some pipes in this ones)

Hilift rack mounts is not a bad idea :think:

Now I only can work on the rack 2 weeks from now... :crybaby2:

Regards,

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Looks really good :clap: Shame that you can't bend it a little to follow the line of the roof, that way it would be an exact copy

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi,
It's a shame yes... But I don´t have the tools to do that, and I don´t have space for now to keep machinery... /:( But before that I need to get a MIG welder to replace my old stick welder, it would be a big improvement.
I can´t way to have my rack finished `)

Regards,

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
73 Posts
Nice rack!

This is definitely inspiration to tackle my own rack project and I'm excited to see how this one turns out when its completely done.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi,

Thanks to all, i'm expecting to have the rack finished on the next weekend, not this one but the other after, even with the structure done I still have a lot of thing to do to be finish. I need to weld the roof brackets (done in the front still to do on the back), reinforce some weldings and grind all up to apply paint, primary coat and then the matte black paint :)

Regards,

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
If you've a bit of money, look at powdercoating it. Your work deserves that seriously

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi,
Painted in black but not a very good job... :S well time to sand it and paint again :)

I don´t know if you can see the brackets or not but they are in place. I used a "L" steel bar with 40mm by 40mm which bracket with 80mm, this was weld to the frame, then I used another "L" cutted on one side to create a claw that grabs on the roof rail with two screws and nuts (on the picture you only can see the first "L") on the rear I needed to create some height clearance so I welded on half of a square bar piece (forming a "U" shape) to the frame and then welded the "L" on that :) (I don´t know if it's clear on the picture.)

Regards,

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Excellent job mate :thumb:
All that welding (especially arc!) is a nightmare as I well know....
I agree that some slight bow in the cross braces would have been nice, you will have to watch it for sagging as it is now. If it does sag at all, you can weld in an arched piece above it to support the lower section.
Did you use a notcher or just a grinder to get the tubes together?
Overall an excellent job...

Martin

1 - 20 of 33 Posts