RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Well, thanks for your help on various issues fellow users of RR.net, but unfortunately while driving down the highway my "Arctic White" became extremely ironic. This especially sucks as I was buying/fixing/selling to help pay for university. Again thanks for your input on the issues I had, the were extremely helpful!
Cheers,
John

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I thought I had fire coverage but apparently I didn't so I get nothing. This especially sucks as I buy/fix/sell to pay for my university - I guess that hard work towards an honest cause doesn't pay off after all. As to the cause I looked under the hood as it was on fire & initially there was only fire coming from around the gas lines so I can only assume it was a gas line leak.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No unfortunately because I did have one and it didn't work - it wasn't particular high capacity, however. Kinda ironic really I was randomly a first aid responder to an accident that happened a couple of weeks ago where the truck involved caught on fire and I managed to contain that with the EMT's halon extinguisher. Karma is all take and not give ha, such a load of bull****!

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4,159 Posts
Such a hard thing to see....

Especially as this is the THIRD one I've seen since the middle of August which has been up in flames.. a couple of guys on one of the FB pages have had theirs go up in flames aswell (to a point of total destruction/loss of vehicle).

I believe they were both GEMS models too.

I wonder if it is worth all GEMS P38 owners doing a check/replacement of the underbonnet fuel lines as a matter of course in preventative maintenance to hopefully stop this from happening to their vehicles aswell?...

I am sure these days you could get a pair of braided stainless fuel lines made up to replace the factory rubber ones fairly cheaply (well a lot cheaper than the cost of replacing a P38 anyway!) so as to hopefully have them at a 'better than factory' standard and hopefully avert problems like this from arising...

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Poor P38 :(. Glad you are OK though! Like Marty said, I have seen a bunch of these pictures now and I think I am going to get myself an extinguisher to carry with me.

·
Registered
616 Posts
It's funny (ironic funny, not humorous) that my P38 is the first vehicle I've ever equipped with an extinguisher.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
02 Range Rover Westminster
98 Discovery LE Tdi

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
I ran the high dollar braided steel lines on the LSx for a while. TWO sets leaked, so went back to normal high pressure fuel line now. It isn't what it's cracked up to be.
The Rover fuel lines are good quality, and there is no real weak spot with them in my experience. Maybe something rubbed etc? We will never know

So sorry for your loss mate! Mind, a LSx will go in there along with the wiring harness.....lol

Martin

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually had an extinguisher on hand but by the time it was on fire it was on fire and it didn't help very much. Marty, it's interesting you say that - I didn't know that they were rubberized lines - when I smelled burning first it was a rubber smell, that's why I figured a farmer was just burning some junk or something as there was no visible smoke at that time. Braided fuel return lines are going to be in my future in abundance I feel like & hopefully I can nab some old halon fire extinguishers too. This whole experience sucked. Also thanks other Martin - an LSX rover sounds like a much more pleasant experience! Maybe one day

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
476 Posts
It could be the high pressure brakefluid line also. Broken hose spraying fluid to hot exhaust. Some people say that brake fluid is not flammable, but it is, and especially when high pressure leak occured to hot surfaces.
No person injuries, that is main thing even poor Rangie is gone. :(

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've contemplated installing an under bonnet fire suppression system like they use on inboard motor boats..

I'm sorry you've lost your Rangie John. :(

·
Registered
45 Posts
Broke my heart but pleased you are ok...

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
As tikka said, glad your ok.....too many catching fire lately...Steve farmer in Aus lost his a week ago seems strange.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for your consiliations everyone - it won't stop my buying another one eventually but it will make me inspect the fuel lines thoroughly & replace whenever I am in doubt.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Ouch!! Sorry to read this.....

Sucky luck, buddy...... better luck going forward, huh?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I just purchased a fire extinguisher only yesterday after I had a small fire caused by brake fluid leakage some months ago. Glad I did after reading this thread. Mine was small and only fried the wiring loom going to the ABS booster, so I was able to replace/splice one I got from a breaker. Bad luck!!!

·
Registered
616 Posts
It could be the high pressure brakefluid line also. Broken hose spraying fluid to hot exhaust. Some people say that brake fluid is not flammable, but it is, and especially when high pressure leak occured to hot surfaces.
No person injuries, that is main thing even poor Rangie is gone. :(
Brake fluid and power steering fluid are flammable.
Hardly anyone knows antifreeze has a flashpoint. Can't remember what it is, but we are preparing for our seasonal training in preparation for winter ops at the airport. And deicing fluid is basically antifreeze. It can't be strayed on hot jet exhaust.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
02 Range Rover Westminster
98 Discovery LE Tdi

1 - 20 of 27 Posts