RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have always been a Toyota Land Cruiser family. We have taken our Cruisers across the country, in the mountains, to the oceans, through all kinds of crazy weather. We have never been stranded. The only repair item besides routine maintenance that I have ever done on one of our LCs was the radiator started leaking in my 2010. That was a $800 fix.

Three years ago, we decided to dip our toe into the world of Range Rover, and leased a brand new Range Rover Sport. I was immediately impressed by this SUV. The paintwork, fit, and finish was amazing. The seats were considerably more comfortable than the LCs. The doors were nice and heavy. I felt safe.

But in the first 4 months of ownership, the thing died on the highway and left us stranded. We had it towed 250 miles to a dealer for fixing, and then they returned it to us fixed. But along the way, we have battled a lot of issues and bugs. Warning lights about airbags, tire pressure, engine light (it just stays on all the time - hopefully one day it might burn out?). The blind spot monitors have never worked right. The A/C blower is stuck on low and it is going to be very costly to fix it. Just last week, the vehicle stranded us in a fast food line because the gear shifter broke. That experience was fun. There are about half a dozen other serious flaws in this vehicle that need sorting. We have 30 more days before we turn it in; I have advised my wife just to leave it in the garage, for fear something major is going to break and it's out of warranty.

THANKFULLY, we leased it. The price paid was around $79,000, and it has depreciated about $43,000 in 39 months. Simply astounding.

So we will give them the keys and walk away, and head straight for the Toyota dealership and into a real SUV. My life is too busy for car problems. For me, Range Rover doesn't offer value to the buyer in any sense of the word. If you are buying it for panache, you are going to pay a huge price for that, and it's going to leave you frustrated and embarrassed on many occasions. The folks in the donut store line were having quite a chuckle about my high dollar Range Rover that suddenly quit working. Funny stuff, unless you're the owner.

Range Rover. Been there. Done that!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I looked into land cruiser before I settled on my RRS. The LC is just too **** plain and boring. Though it would certainly be nice to have LC reliability. Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked into land cruiser before I settled on my RRS. The LC is just too **** plain and boring. Though it would certainly be nice to have LC reliability. Good luck and enjoy.
Funny you mention that. The LCs had been so boring, including reliability, that we thought it was time for something fun and exciting. The party is over; I'm ready for more boring. :razz: usc90tos121a021001.png

·
Registered
51 Posts
Seems like the warranty would have covered the AC fan regardless of the cost.
What was wrong to cause you to be stranded on the highway?
3 year lease and you have had it for 39 months?
What are the half a dozen major flaws?
How many miles did you put on it?
Most vehicles are worth about half the sticker after 3 years if driven normally. If you total up your lease payments it will be a little more than half the sticker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
We have 67K miles on it. Anything that happens now is beyond the lease. The stranded thing had something to do with the transmission. The car literally wouldn't go. The other flaws...there has been something really screwy happen on the front suspension in the last six months. If you hit a bump or low spot on the road it is loud and jarring. The tire sensors are always indicating flat and the tires are fine - we have had this worked on several times. The low coolant light keeps coming on, yet the coolant is always fine. But LR said to keep checking it. The ventilated seats sometimes work, sometimes don't. Totally random. The back liftgate stops about 12 inches from where it should when it goes up. They've fixed this once. The blind spot sensors have never been right. There's other stuff - that's just right off the top of my head.

·
Registered
76 Posts
There is no argument that id rather own an out of warranty land cruiser over and out of warranty land rover any day of the week.

That said, the rover is way more fun to drive and boring is an understatement for a toyota.

To each their own, happy trails dude. 67k in 3 years is on the impressive side, no garage queen there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NO vehicle is going to be worth half it initial price after three years with 67,000 miles on it.
No? My son's 2016 4Runner TRD Pro has 72K on the clock and it's still worth a solid $34-35K. I believe it was $45K out the door when new.

I sold my 2010 LC three years ago for $40K when I bought my Rover, and it was 6 years old and had 73K on the clock - still worth about half the sticker 6 years out. Should have kept it - I think it books now books out for about the same as the 2016 Rover Sport :lol:.

I think Rovers are really cool if you have a dealer handy and you can burn $1000 to $1500 per month in depreciation. I don't begrudge anyone for doing that. I've had my turn and I'll leave that next Rover for you to buy.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I don’t blame you for wanting to get out with your experiences that’s for sure.

I’ve always respected Land Cruisers but as others have said it’s a bit vanilla for me, and for that price I suspect you get the same dealer experience as somebody driving a Corolla, no loaners, etc.

I know 4runners, Tacoma’s, etc have great residual value, but anybody paying $35k for a 4Runner with 72k miles is a sucker. If I were your son I’d take advantage of that fact and get into a new one and start the cycle again.

I’ve always wanted a RR product and like you dipped my toes into the water. I’ve been lucky and quite satisfied, although I’ll admit if I have an experience even close to yours I’d probably run for the hills too. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
TATA has been a disaster for LR. electronic glitches and quality control issues have not bankrupt LR for the simple reason that they are pretty status symbol vehicles.the toyota aesthetic designs are simply horrific, but in the end they are as reliable as the heat from the sun. i will be looking at the RS Q8 for our next car in a couple of years unless there is some unexpected turn around in LR quality control.

·
Registered
46 Posts
just about time to change your handle to texasboring3, huh? :lol: good luck on your new ride, you obviously put a sh*t-ton of miles on your rides, so hopefully if you lease again, maybe they won't ding you so hard! I just bought mine, and while I have always loved them, the only reason for THIS purchase is the fact that I now have a dealership in my town, for exactly this reason.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think the last straw for me was my wife being stranded in a donut shop parking lot over a flimsy plastic part that broke off in the gear shift trigger. Later that day after having it towed (imagine the comedy at the donut shop over that), I did surgery on the thing (thanks 100 percent to the instructions of a member of this forum!) and put a bobby pin in there and it was 5X the part that the plastic piece was. At that point, I was flat-out pissed at Land Rover. If they can't take their machines more serious than that, I'm not forking out $1200 a month from now on for their stuff. First time shame on them. Second time shame on me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don’t blame you for wanting to get out with your experiences that’s for sure.

I’ve always respected Land Cruisers but as others have said it’s a bit vanilla for me, and for that price I suspect you get the same dealer experience as somebody driving a Corolla, no loaners, etc.

I know 4runners, Tacoma’s, etc have great residual value, but anybody paying $35k for a 4Runner with 72k miles is a sucker. If I were your son I’d take advantage of that fact and get into a new one and start the cycle again.

I’ve always wanted a RR product and like you dipped my toes into the water. I’ve been lucky and quite satisfied, although I’ll admit if I have an experience even close to yours I’d probably run for the hills too. Good luck!
I have had Cruisers off and on for 20 years and don't recall ever needing to leave it at the dealer long enough for a loaner.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My Range Rover days ended in the middle of the Winter 4x4 Jamboree in Sand Hollow. I had put a ton of work into freshening the Range Rover and was excited to off road it, despite some worn out snow tires on the absurdly stupid 19" rims.

We easily completed the trail, much to the surprise of the die-hard Jeepers. Just as soon as we hit the interstate to head back to the hotel, the suspension faulted. No problem, got out All-Comms and reset it. Then it came back. And wouldn't reset.

Ugh. Drove back that night (5hrs round trip) and picked up my wife's 2003 LX470, bone stock with street tires, running boards and all. Completed the next days trail without a hitch and it was then that I realized that I'd probably never fully trust the Range Rover off road again. And if that was the case, then why keep it?

So I fixed the faults, tuned it up and sold it to a buddy. On the way to selling it, the transmission hard faulted-limp home mode and threw a misfire code. Dropped my asking price from nearly $6k to just over $3k, as I was selling a "project" now instead of a clean L322. My buddy found that it wasn't a transmission issue at all, but a failed coil. Easy fix. He got a steal. Until the rear airbag blew up.

I haven't heard from him for awhile, so he either hates me or he's got it running (I hope it's the latter).

In the meantime, I threw an OME lift onto the LX, mounted 34" KO2 tires and just completed a 4wd visit to Sedona with no issues.

So yeah, the driving dynamics of a cruiser are incredibly dull. No doubt about that. But after awhile you realize that boring driving is better than weekend wrenching.

I loved that L322, I just wish it was......well........a tough 4wd. :(.

·
Registered
42 Posts
TexasRover3, I totally understand your frustration and your move to Toyota. I considered the LandRover or Lexus equivalent. I had a Toyota FJ that I put about 10K of goodies into and had a diff ring gear tooth that broke and left us stranded in Moab. I known defect eventually covered by Toyota. The only car my wife shed a tear over when we sold it.
I replaced that with an old LR4 (same platform as the pre '14 RRS) which I have been able to fix myself as things went south (160K miles on it now).
I just got my RRS SC, and my hope is that I can do most repairs and maintenance myself, but I realize this is a riskier proposition. The RRS checked every box so it's a risk I'm willing to take for now.

I totally appreciate your decision, and sorry RR did not work out better for you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have had Cruisers off and on for 20 years and don't recall ever needing to leave it at the dealer long enough for a loaner.

I agree 100%. I purchased a 2011 RR HSE with 30k miles in April 2016 for my wife, primarily, to drive. We'd always loved the look of these vehicles and although we fully realized the reliability risks, we took the plunge and tacked on an extended warranty from CarMax to 100k miles. The truck had full maintenance records and no accidents, and was obviously not driven much in its five years of life, so we felt good about it. I didn't get the thing out of the God-forsaken parking lot before noticing "little" issues, and they mounted quickly. We spent $42k on the truck and the warranty was an additional $3000 ($300 deductible). Three years later, the truck has left us stranded four times (all related to fuel injectors and the fuel pump), and it's been to the dealership an additional eleven times for other maintenance issues - sometimes multiple trips for the same recurring issue. The warranty has paid over $8500 in claims and we've paid $1500 in deductibles (the dealership always covers this when it's a recurring issue, requiring additional repair). The dealership, and our service manager in particular, has been especially pleasant and always apologizes over and over again, providing a loaner or a rental, etc.

Here's the list off the top of my head...
- numerous fuel injector issues - two have been replaced at this point - left us stranded two times
- throttle body replaced - vehicle stalled, leaving us stranded
- fuel pump terminal burned up - left us stranded once
- total air suspension failure/replacement
- rear seat replacement - it stopped folding
- side view mirrors replaced due to shorts, etc. when dipping in reverse
- rear passenger door now has something loose inside - window doesn't roll down (haven't taken the time to try to fix myself and won't pay a deductible for this)
- rear hatch latch sticks all the time - WD40 does nothing - not worth repairing
- stereo volume knob stopped responding - must use steering wheel controls - not worth repairing

This was an $80k vehicle in 2011. It just seems like these things aren't built very well for the price you pay. The financial losses by JLR aren't surprising. And you're right - they aren't sustainable.

I have a 2006 Lexus GS430 with 218k on the clock. $60k new. I've replaced the alternator and the throttle body, along with routine maintenance. That's it.

I had a 2003 Nissan Altima 3.5 before that. 155k when I sold it. $26k new. No issues outside of routine maintenance. None.

I will not purchase another Land Rover product.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have had a 94 Classic for several years but have also owned FJ62 Land Cruisers since 1989. FIrst one was bought new; the two I have now are very high mileage trucks.

Cruisers are simply bulletproof. I love the looks of the classic FJ 60-62 era: they look a bit like the RR Classic. The Cruisers, at least of that era, were beasts that never failed. The build quality of the components was simply astounding: I never replaced a water pump, any of the fuel injection stuff, very few of the electrical stuff, the A/C was ice cold, and on and on. Basically they're as reliable as an old Camry (which I also have) and will run forever. I don't off-road but their capability is pretty impressive there as well.

The real downfall, at least of the FJ60-62 era was real serious rust. My original truck, with low miles, was perfect except that it rusted away into dust.

I love my Range Rover Classic but it's an entirely different relationship. Things are always going wrong kinda regularly, the electrics are crazy, always have various coolant issues, the headliner falls down, and it isn't too reliable. I was stranded last weekend on the Thruway and missed a graduation ceremony; alternator went out en route. I love it regardless and will keep it forever, along with the 2 Cruisers. Granted, I don't need these trucks for reliable regular transportation.....

·
Registered
51 Posts
This is the forum for owners of L494 RRS 2nd generation. Problems with other rovers are not relevant. I have enjoyed 45k trouble free miles on my 16 RRS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
To be clear, I don't even want to sit at the dealer for regular maintenance like oil changes, etc. I get a loaner at Land Rover for that. Drop my car off and pick it up after work.

I cringe when I have to take my wife's Odyssey into the Honda dealer because it means sitting at the dealer, even for an hour is too long. My wife had a Camry when we first got married, so I know the Toyota dealer experience is the same.

If Acura or Lexus made a minivan I would buy one just on the sole fact that it would mean I would never have to see the inside of a dealer unless I was buying a car.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts