RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two days ago I was taking my buddy to his car which was about a 30 second car ride. When it was time for him to get out the door wouldn’t open so he had to climb through the window. I was just getting ready to sell the car and of course this had to happen. Does anyone know how to fix this? It’s a 2000 LHD I pulled on the rubber window seal to look inside and it looks like everything is still together and nothing broken but I have no clue and may be wrong

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,422 Posts
Re: My passenger door won’t open from the inside or out

If it visually looks to be intact, then it sounds like it has possibly superlocked itself......
Have all your locks been working reliably?
When you lock, do all doors normally and reliably lock and unlock? (Central locking working?)
Did the rear passenger door unlock?
How about the lift gate button? working?
Do you use a fob to lock and unlock, or just the key?
Does the window still work? if not, possible the outstation plug came loose? (Unlikely)
need more information about possible pre existing conditions.......

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it visually looks to be intact, then it sounds like it has possibly superlocked itself......
Have all your locks been working reliably?
When you lock, do all doors normally and reliably lock and unlock? (Central locking working?)
Did the rear passenger door unlock?
How about the lift gate button? working?
Do you use a fob to lock and unlock, or just the key?
Does the window still work? if not, possible the outstation plug came loose? (Unlikely)
need more information about possible pre existing conditions.......
Yes all my doors lock and unlock normally. All the doors unlock/lock except the RH-F door will not open. My tailgate works perfectly fine and I always use my key fob to unlock my doors. When I get out of school in a little bit I’ll try unlocking using the key and see if I have a different outcome. And also all the windows work fine as well

·
Registered
1,422 Posts

All good!
So, you hear the locking mechanism working in the door?

Get a bright light, look at the latch, and try to open.
It could be one of the control rods has come off, or one of the plastic bits connecting them has broken.
Sorry, I do not have a latch handy to give a more specific part to look at.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All good!
So, you hear the locking mechanism working in the door?

Get a bright light, look at the latch, and try to open.
It could be one of the control rods has come off, or one of the plastic bits connecting them has broken.
Sorry, I do not have a latch handy to give a more specific part to look at.
I cannot figure out what’s wrong I keep comparing the passenger side to the driver side and both look the same. This is a video of all I can see from the passenger side.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I had a similar issue (not being able to open a front door) after replacing my drivers side door latch and upon shutting the door could not get it to open again. Not that you would want to start here but I was able to eventually open the door by cutting off and replacing the striker. I was able to access the striker with a long blade on a dremel tool and the rear door removed. Once I had the door open I made sure everything was working before again shutting the door with a new striker plate and have had no problems since. I picked up a striker for $10 at a junk yard so a cheap fix as well. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts