RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems i have a P38 project everyweekend now.

Couple weeks ago it was another fuel pump in the 96 and a month or so before that was new tires.

On the 00, about 8 months ago it was new u joints in the front driveline...Now needs 1 replaced again. Not buying the cheap 20.00 ones this time. Also the pass front window regulator failed as did the driver front door release handle.

Need to change timing belt and water pump on daughters Toyota Camry too.

And Just moved so garage is full so no room for a car in there yet.

·
Registered
755 Posts
If it didn’t keep you on your toes, it wouldn’t be a p38.
my door cable snapped the other week, not bad for 18yrs of use.
The UJ’s , I agree, don’t go with the cheapest, the old saying, you get what you pay for..

·
Registered
151 Posts
My 1998 P38 produces about a project every other week. Last two months have found me replacing rear tailpipe, muffler hangers, blower motors, oil and filter, brakes and rotors, brake fluid and now I’m wresting with the Drivers side door latch and a blown fuse 20 issue.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Other than the fuse 20 issue, there's nothing there that isn't routine maintenance on a 20 year old car. Just remind yourself that you won't have to do them again for another few years. Fuse 20 feeds the LH electric seat but I know of one car that for at least 4 years has been saying that fuse 20 is blown when it isn't and the seat still works. Problem in the fuse detection rather than the fuse itself.

To the OP, eating prop UJ's could be a sign of a failing viscous coupling in the transfer box putting extra strain on them when turning and not necessarily poor quality joints (unless it's lifted in which case it's your own fault).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Owning a P38 is an adventure...its quite cheap for most parts with a good supply of parts around...apart from sills...or as you say over the pond kicker panels!

I have a newer Volvo XC70...needs rear bush done...part isn't expensive but the tool to remove and install is and the power steering pump needs replacement...now its expensive...For the price of fixing these two items at a garage I could buy a tidy running P38!

·
Registered
337 Posts
I bought a seriously neglacted P38 4.6 HSE, what I have going since a few weeks, and I hope I fixed enough problems for the next 3 years. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts