RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It all started this afternoon. I was driving down the freeway and my P 38 just stop running. I coasted off the freeway. After an hour it started up like nothing was wrong. I got almost home and it stopped again. After an hour it started back up, when I got home I let it run. After 10 minutes it died again. Can anyone help me with this?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
320 Posts
I cannot help, but do try to search and/or browse through the forum here. It has loads of invaluable information. First things that spring to mind are MAF, fuel pump, ignition (wires, plugs) but you need to tell more about your car (diesel, gas, LPG??)

Also it's helpful if you state (in your board profile) where you live, I'm guessing somewhere in the US of A.

Good luck.

·
Registered
517 Posts
This could be a failing crankshaft position sensor. They often start to fail when hot, then function again once cooled down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK I'm in Southern Calif. USA. It has a 4.6 with 118K Miles on it. When it starts up, it sounds and runs like a dream, then after she gets good and warm she sputters out and dies. If I try and start it up it just misfires and dies out. After about an hour it will fire up like nothing ever happened.
I took it to a Independent Rover shop and he told me that I need to go through the engine. I'm nobody's fool, she doesn't smoke or knock and she doesn't even leak oil. She has all the pickup you could ask for.

·
Registered
2008 Range Rover L322 HSE
218 Posts
Ditto on the Crankshaft Position Sensor.

My 96 did the same then just wouldnt start, replaced the sensor and all was well

This was about a year ago...not that we drive it that much...maybe 25 miles in last year

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
HT leads.....common problem even on Disco II's same issue, enjoy, if its not then it goes deep like Maf sensor crankshaft sensor (I highly doubt)

or a failing relay, check my blog for relay position.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover P38A
2 Posts
mine did about the same it would run for about 6 miles and die it was crank sensor. I drive it daily and no issues.

·
Registered
110 Posts
fuel pump is also another potential.

i have had several cars with these symptoms.... fuel pump every time...

Niece had a cherokee that would just die, then get towed to mechanic, ran fine... then would die on her again...

i kept insisting it was fuel pup..... after 4 tows to mechanic that refused to even acknowledge it COULD be a fuel pump........ turned out to be the fuel pump.....

then it cuts off turn the truck off and listen at the fuel pump when the ignition is turned on... you should hear a fuel pump whurring..

·
Registered
2005 Vogue 4.4
151 Posts
Another vote for CPS, we all need to keep one of these handy I suggest. But if you cool it down with some water and she fires up again, then that is a pretty good test for it being the cause.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts