RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today was the day I was getting my summer tires put on with these new wheels I bought from ebay, I was told it should all fit. But the guys at Direct Tire in Natick Ma. tried to see if the wheels fit before mounting the tires, and guess what, the lug nuts did not fit right, the wheel is loose after tightening the nuts.
So now they are looking into finding me new lug nuts.
I contacted the ebay seller, but he is not responding!
Any thoughts guys?
Thanks.

Wheels

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
No surprise. Rims may very well fit numerous years of a model but lug nuts are specific to the rims. For instance your factory rims may take conical lug nuts where someone with a different year may take the top hat style lug nuts. It's not any fault of the seller as they would have no idea which lug nuts you currently have.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
91 Posts
I believe those wheel you purchased were some aftermarket stormer a in 22". Stormer a only came in size 20" and since there are so many manufacturers that make the stormers you may have had bad luck. I had a similar issue with my Toyota 4Runner. You could get a respectable wheel shop to make the holes bigger to accommodate your factory lug nuts. The wheels will have to be rebalanced properly or have your luck with searching the lug nuts. Remember that the vehicle is heavy, so you want a strong lug nuts so they don't snap or break.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys :)

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
227 Posts
No surprise. Rims may very well fit numerous years of a model but lug nuts are specific to the rims. For instance your factory rims may take conical lug nuts where someone with a different year may take the top hat style lug nuts. It's not any fault of the seller as they would have no idea which lug nuts you currently have.
All genuine RRS wheels use an elongated, conical nut, and I believe if a rim is advertised as "fitting an RRS" it should be taken into account that L322 FFRR and L320 RRS use different nuts (because of different shape inside the nut hole). The seller had assumed all Range Rovers are same - and no, they are not.

Solution would most probably buying a set of L322 FFRR lug nuts.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
The issue is more than likely that the lug nut bores in the wheel are not deep enough, so you're bottoming out on the rotor before clamping the wheel. These trucks do not use conical nuts, and the +06 L322 uses the same nuts, 03-05 have smaller lug bores in the wheel, and smaller radius lug nuts.

I think it is going to be difficult to find the correct style lug nut, with a shorter thread that will work, so the best option here(and it's an option that I personally don't like too much) may be a wheel spacer. That way the wheel is still clamped to the hub properly, both rotational and axial.

Put a lug nut in the wheel, and measure how far it sticks out the hub side, you would need a spacer just a little thicker than that, probably only going to be 5-7mm necessary.

You should also check to make sure that the wheels do in fact have the correct center bore, and you aren't going to need a hubcentric ring as well.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All genuine RRS wheels use an elongated, conical nut, and I believe if a rim is advertised as "fitting an RRS" it should be taken into account that L322 FFRR and L320 RRS use different nuts (because of different shape inside the nut hole). The seller had assumed all Range Rovers are same - and no, they are not.

Solution would most probably buying a set of L322 FFRR lug nuts.
Thank you for your help, I will talk to the shop guys and tell them about this.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The issue is more than likely that the lug nut bores in the wheel are not deep enough, so you're bottoming out on the rotor before clamping the wheel. These trucks do not use conical nuts, and the +06 L322 uses the same nuts, 03-05 have smaller lug bores in the wheel, and smaller radius lug nuts.

I think it is going to be difficult to find the correct style lug nut, with a shorter thread that will work, so the best option here(and it's an option that I personally don't like too much) may be a wheel spacer. That way the wheel is still clamped to the hub properly, both rotational and axial.

Put a lug nut in the wheel, and measure how far it sticks out the hub side, you would need a spacer just a little thicker than that, probably only going to be 5-7mm necessary.

You should also check to make sure that the wheels do in fact have the correct center bore, and you aren't going to need a hubcentric ring as well.
This helps thank you, I'm just so frustrated, I have never bought wheels for any of my cars ever, and I thought it would be a breeze :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts